SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Show me your iPhone case?

MtnRdRedux
8 years ago

I always see people with cool ones, but when I need to buy one it's same-o same-o.

I have this one but it is cracked:

Comments (42)

• gsciencechick
    8 years ago

I just have a basic Lifeproof in white. I like it better than Otterbox because it is thinner. My main thing is that I drop it, and it has held up well.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5s/iphone-5s-case/?color=White+%2F+Gray

I also have a black and white wristlet, but I have to remove the phone from the Lifeproof to use it.

• busybee3
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

there are a couple of websites of artist 'communities' that make very cool designs which are put on tshirts, phone cases, etcetc... my youngest has several things from one website that are really unique!!

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Mine is very pedestrian and has a slot that holds my most essential cards. But I have seen many on etsy so you might look there for something more unusual.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I had a Lifeproof when I first bought the iphone but after about a year the screen stretched to the point it was ridiculous to try to type on it. So I bought an inexpensive Speck at Target. They sell them everywhere in lots of patterns and colors. I bought a screensaver & applied it and have been happy, happy.

• jlc712
    8 years ago

Mine is very boring, turquoise rubbery stuff. When I got the Iphone 6, I browsed around a bit. I found this site https://society6.com/phone-skins/illustration?model=iphone6, and there are so many that I like, I couldn't decide. There are literally thousands. Still haven't bought one :-)

Thanks for reminding me. I think this is my frontrunner-

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I got a kate spade from the apple store...black background, multi colored.

• nhbaskets
    8 years ago

I had a Vineyard Vines case with whales on my iPhone 5. For my new 6 I went with the Apple blue leather case. Boring, I know, but I like the way it feels.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I got the gold 6+ so I didn't want to cover it much. So I have see-thru on the back and an orange bezel which helps me find it in my purse.

There are sites that let you customize your own case. Even design it yourself. Here's a casetify marble pattern case.

But they also have custom options and you can upload a photo to make it. (:

But if I went custom I'd do it with my name like a custom Edie Parker clutch which appear to be the cool bags now. Or do metallic zig zag.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh no, I am going to have to spend a day looking through all these great ideas!

Or just buy an Iphone6 and go commando like Rococo

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Let us know what you end up with, please? I am planning to hand my 4s down to ds soon and will get a new iPhone so I will need a new case.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

You can go to shutterfly and make your own with your own favorite picture(s).

• User
    8 years ago

I have an iPhone 6+ and use the casemate black leather folio cover. The fold over front has spaces for credit or business cards and a place for your license if you need the phone to double as a wallet in a really small purse. The 6+ is so large is looks a bit silly in cute cases, kind of like an adult dressing up in baby clothes, lol.....I guess that means I am still not used to the size! I do wish it came in other leathers but it is so functional I just bought another one to have if this one wears out.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

Will say to anyone thinking of changing their phone that the 6+ is the best one I've ever had. I have man-hands and the only one that's been big enough to text comfortably. Also the camera is so good I've stopped using my excellent regular camera.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I still have a 4s and the bigger size of the 6 and even more of the 6+ really turns me off actually. I may get a 5, not just because it is cheaper, but because it is smaller.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mine is a five and I dont want the 6. I have an ipad mini and I like my phone to be small enough for a pocket.

So far I dont like any cases as well as my own. When Im at the office I always have my phone in meetings and so I dont want anything really cutesy or feminine. Thats why I had the tortoise one

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

I have the Lego case. Luckily in our area it actually might be a plus in business meetings :-)

• User
    8 years ago

Another rousing recommendation for the 6+. Small hands here but 58 year old eyes.....with the setting on large print I can read texts without my reading glasses, that's been a huge "plus" for me. It fits in all blazer and jacket pockets and few of my slacks even have pockets so I have been known to venture out without the mini air!

• rubyclaire
    8 years ago

I have been going commando with my old 5 for a few months now and quite like it. The phones are so sleek and beautiful that it is a shame to cover them up. I may be singing another tune when I drop the thing...:)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I carried the original iPhone for a verrrry long time. For the last year or so it went naked because I had dropped it and broken the case and it was difficult to find replacement cases. I dropped the naked original on concrete more than once and it escaped unscathed. When I went to upgrade (and all the apple store employees came to see it because some of them claimed they had never seen an original), the salesperson was quite sure that I needed a case because the 4s is more fragile than the orginal. Wha? Why make a product worse? If the original style was still available, but had the current tech so it worked, I'd take it in a New York minute. I really liked the way it felt in my hand too--slightly curved so it was more comfortable to hold than the 4s.

(Should I get out my cane and start shaking it at kids who step on my yard?)

• nini804
    8 years ago

I hate changing phones! My Dh got me a 5 when they first came out (it was my first I-phone!) and I kept it way past my upgrades. Drove my children nuts. What finally convinced me to change to the 6 a month ago was my photographer friend. She is a pro photographer, and were we at a girls lunch with our friends. We wanted to take a pic, and she said, "use so and so's phone, she has a 6 and the camera is so much better!" That was it. I went and got a 6 the next day. I don't care at all about having the latest & greatest gadget...but I love great pictures! And it is a much better camera, but I did prefer the size of the 5.

I did go a little wild & got the gold one (I love gold, all of my Lilly & Tory Burch things have gold accents) so bought a lovely Kate Spade case to match. It has gold & cream diagonal stripes on the back, and a very pale pink around the face.

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

Bought a Kate Spade cover yesterday for my 5s. Luckily, I tried out the charger in the parking lot and it wouldn't fit with the cover, so back into the store I went.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I still have a 5 but am changing over to a 6. No 6 plus for me. Way too big. I like a little phone and don't wear glasses, have small hands, so no thankfully no problem. My case right now is black/white chevron with an aqua circle in the middle which is monogrammed in black. Love it. Custom made from Etsy. Will be purchasing something from same seller. Hubby always has used an otterbox. I (knock on wood) have never had a need for that, but don't like my phone nekkie. I'm not into the designer covers, but love something unique.

• Renovator Girl
    8 years ago

Mine is a rubber skin that looks like a cassette tape for my iPhone 5. It's gotten a lot of double takes from the Generation X crowd. The running joke among my friends is that when I upgrade to the 6 I'll have to get one that looks like a videocassette.

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

About a year ago I got a new Samsung Galaxy 4. I'm not a person who likes to update my cell phone, my laptop or my iPad every time something new comes out. It takes me too long as it is to learn how to work these things, and all their little bells and whistles! When I got this phone, I bought a black and white zebra print cover for it with pink accents. I wasn't looking to impress anybody with it or make a statement. I just wanted a cover that would make my cell phone easy to quickly find in my purse or lying around somewhere (LOL)! My old cell phone had a black cover and was always getting lost in the bowels of my purses, or being easily overlooked when i left it sitting around somewhere.

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

I got a custom leather wallet case with monogram from Zenokleather on Etsy. I paid a few bux extra to get a snap closure. Wallet + phone case = bliss!!! The seller was very easy to work with and the case came quickly. my only quibble is that the case is just a few mm short for Canadian dollar bills, so I have to fold my bills, but I rarely carry much cash.

I also have a 6+ largely due to clumsiness/terribleness at typing. Not sure it helped a WHOLE lot - but I would happily have a tablet sized phone if I could.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/240199106/smartphone-wallet-with-a-silicone-case?ref=shop_home_active_2

• User
    8 years ago

I'm probably the only person here who still uses a flip phone. We just ordered new ones from Consumer Cellular and dh asked if I wanted a Smartphone instead. As infrequently as I use a cell I couldn't see the point.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Robo, I love yours, but I like the face to be open, all the better to surreptitiously check my texts during a meeting ... : )

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

I totally understand that! I think it's too bulky for you as well. I often keep mine open snapped the reverse way for that very reason.

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

Cindy - DH needed a smart phone for work but the day after he retired he went into the phone store and picked up a flip phone. It's been a year and he's never regretted it.

• User
    8 years ago

I can understand a smart phone if you need to be connected all the time, but I don't. When I leave the house being able to send/receive calls is good enough.

We got our Doros this weekend. They're slightly bigger and thinner than our old flips. I LOVE the larger buttons. I can use the phone without reading glasses if I want. And you can't beat the price ... 2 for $65.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I got another tortoise one off a sale rack for 8bucks, but I am still on my quest.

I came across this while looking for a new wallet (my LV one did last over about 17 years). So purty ...

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

$8? That's awesome-- I'd have bought 5! I haven't found the tortoise shell for a price I am willing to pay.. I did get the ginko cover for $24. It's fine for another few weeks-- but I'll need to change it out for fall.

The LV is sweet-- but I don't like using the slip in style.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I ended up with this.

I had a black one on my 4s. (Ds inherited the 4s and I just left my case on it so I switched to red this time just to make it easier to tell our phones apart. It holds up to three cards, which is very useful for me. And it has a little bumper to protect my screen if I drop it screen down. Not super interesting, but functional for me.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

If you have the 6+ check out this information about camera replacements due to blurry pictures.

Defective camera

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If you give mouse an iphone, she goes looking for a case. When that case cracks, she needs to get a new one. When she goes to buy a new one, she can't find anything she really likes. So she buys a cheapo one. Now she is feeling flush, so she remembers that one of the cases she saw was Louis Vuitton. She remembers that her existing LV wallet is 17 years old and looking a little worn. She goes to LV and buys a new wallet, and then hightails it out of the store before she gets her paws on anything else.

PS the flagship NYC LV store, just saying, looks like Beijing. The customers and the staff. One token blonde salesperson. There was a language barrier with my salesperson; she spoke Chinese and her English was pretty hard to understand and limited (eg she didn't know the names of colors well). I think this brand is out, OUT, out, for everybody in my time zone! I wonder what I will buy after this one wears out in 17 years!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Mtn, you are cracking me up!

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

@mtn - Hermes. Or Prada.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hermes? I think they call that "bracketing"? when you look at something even more expensive, and suddenly something else seems like a bargain? sheesh

I could never warm up to Hermes. I am a scarfaholic but all of theirs are too fussy for me, so It kind of skewed the brand for me. Though I did get DH's ties there.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    8 years ago

LV here in so. Ca. Is always busy and exactly the same, while Channel, et al, remain quietly serene( I.e. empty). Must be a huge Asian fad, albeit for the well heeled.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Finally upgraded to an iPhone 6. I had a magenta, rubbery Kate Spade for my old iPhone and got another KS for this one. There was a really sharp black and mother of pearl by Milk and Honey but they didn't have it as a 6 option only for the 5. My new one has a magenta edge with a white and black stripe back.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I sort of grew up with Hermès so I've always loved their leather items which are still handmade, not trendy and wear like iron. No leather feels like theirs but not everyone cares or wants to pay their prices, I know. And I do have a drawer full of those fussy scarves which have been a better investment than many stocks. No one wore them for years, now they are back. I'm always surprised if what interests me interests someone else, though I never expect that. But @mtn, you're a thinker so thought I'd throw it out there for you as a leather option.