What do you freeze for an easy dinner night?
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (31)
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Discussions
What Did You Have For Dinner From Your Garden Last Night?
Comments (54)Dale I would never be able to describe the exact location of where these morels were found. They were on private property, and I was invited by the owner, or I never would have found it by myself. Now, since she has moved, I'd probably have to trespass or get the new owner's permission. Anyways, you should be happy to know they are to be found in many locations in Oklahoma. Keep tabs on this link, and you should be able to zero in on a good location. I think there's another morel link for Oklahoma as well as this one online. You won't be disappointed if you luck onto a good morel spot. As you will see in the pics in this link, even the homeies love them, lol! Just wait til about April and about four days after a rain. Look for a moist woodland, where some deer and cows have roamed, and there are many such places in Oklahoma. I LOVE morels just about any way you can prepare them. And especially morel soup, or perhaps cut up in small pieces for tempura. A real delicacy. I've been thinking of starting my own little shitake patch. You can buy the spores of those online and perhaps other varieties as well. Dawn I can relate to the harvesting, canning and preserving fatigue. Getting kind of tired of it myself, so when dinner time rolls around and it's just me, it's catch as catch can from the garden. I really do hate to see the summer crops dwindling. Okra not bearing well. The cucumbers that store boughts will NEVER be able to rival are just about kaput. I still have tons of BIG tomatos that haven't ripened yet. Since it's been dry, with no recent rain, I've been allowing them to store up all that deliciousness and not get soggy or insipidly flavorless, so they have been amazing! Especially enjoying the Indian Stipes, which were not new to you, but certainly a delightful first for me. I'm hoping I don't get stuck with having to can jars of pickled tomatos or green tomato relish. I like it, but there's only so much of it I can eat. Today's menu was simply one of my baked buttercup squash, (just the right size for me), with butter and brown sugar, and cooked to pieces pole beans. Since I don't have a family to cook for, sometimes I kind of 'batch' and my folks used to call it. Nice in a way, since I can eat weird stuff that I like, when I like and not have to worry about meal planning per se. Barbara Here is a link that might be useful: Morels of Oklahoma...See MoreFreeze & heat dinner ideas for parents with medical issues?
Comments (17)Rhome, if you'll be doing this more often than not, purchase some different sized open glass containers - think the smaller pyrexes and pie plate types. Give them a light spray of a cooking oil like Pam. Line them with plastic wrap, and place the food inside after it cools. When the food is frozen, you can pop the contents out and finish wrapping them as an individual or "for two" servings. I usually then put a second covering of stick free foil. Label, placing like packets in one zip lock bag. Then your glassware is free to re-use. This is good for when you need a larger size than a muffin cup provides. When they are ready to eat, they can grab these packets out of the freezer and place them on a plate (and you can give them the same exact container it was frozen in making it easier still). When the food just stars to defrost in the microwave, they can remove the plastic and finish heating. I know we shouldn't be microwaving with plastic, but you only do it till the food just starts to defrost and releases from the plastic - it's not even getting really hot. If you use the whole wheat noodles, you can make simple pasta dishes that are non tomato, with a very light, low fat cream sauce on them and those freeze well too. As for the meatloaf - I have a recipe which calls for putting lots of finely chopped carrots and zuchini into the mix, and it really helps to get those extra veggies in. I mean you can put a LOT in there and it's really good. I second soups! So easy to cook and they freeze so well....See MoreWhat's for Dinner, Monday nite?
Comments (20)Jim congratulations on your upcoming cruise! I love it that you had wine with bacon and eggs. Audrey, your dinner looks and sounds fabulous. We had baked potatoes last nite. Shirley, I've yet to make red beans and rice. What's throwing me off from making it, much as I'd like to, is that we only have kidney beans, as far as a red bean, and I know that isn't the kind to use. I made quinoa with toasted almonds and red currants the other day. We like quinoa. Kath, for some reason companies change their recipes. In the event of making things healthier, taste gets compromised. Less fat and salt is less flavour it seems. Prairie Rose, do you make the light fluffy dumplings? That's what my Nan made and that's all I've ever known. I've never attempted it; I should! Raven, that looks divine!! We love roasted vegetables! Erin, I hope you feel better. That's dedication, coming onto a dinner thread when you're not feeling that great. Betsy, that's nice comfort food. Gyr_Falcon, that's a great sounding meal! Glad to see you here....See MoreWhat easy job do you hate to do?
Comments (53)Chi I didn't add that he does do this for me and often unasked. He isn't the bad guy here, just knows how much else there is to do. Like changing the kitchen and bathroom floors and putting in a downstairs bathroom shower. Also screening the porch and fixing the drywall in the kitchen etc.....it's a long list and he does it all. He does any chore that is needed whenever he's home. :) Thank you for the support though. :)...See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
Related Stories

DIY PROJECTSLight Up Your Night With an Easy Outdoor Table Lamp
Hit up Goodwill and the hardware store to make this lamp for a deck or poolside patio in minutes
Full Story
BEDROOMSThe Right Mattress: The Secret to a Great Night’s Sleep
We spend a third of our lives asleep, so investing in a quality mattress is essential. Check out this expert advice to help you choose yours
Full Story
DINING ROOMS12 Breakfast Nooks Cool Enough for a Dinner Party
The banquette where you sip your morning coffee can also make a cozy corner for an intimate supper or a game night
Full Story
BEDROOMSRest Easy: Myth Busting for Bedding and Mattresses
We put to bed some of the misconceptions that may be keeping you from a good night's sleep
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Romance for Two, Over Dinner at Home
No need to drop major bucks on dining out this Valentine’s Day. Set a sweet mood with tableware, accessories and love
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGDiscover the Easy Adventure of Backyard Camping
Enjoy all of the thrills with none of the 'Are we there yet?' when you transform your backyard into a lively campground
Full Story
DINING ROOMSHow to Seat Your Dinner Guests in Comfort
Instead of reaching for pillows and footstools when you dine, settle in with dining tables and chairs that fit the room and body
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: Game Night Done Right
What's that sound? Popcorn popping, friends laughing and maybe, just maybe, a little trash talking
Full Story
LIFE9 Ways to Nail This Whole Family Dinner Thing
Make family dinners enjoyable with these tips from a ‘family dinner expert’ and Houzz users
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: Dinner for One
Make a solo meal a luxurious experience by savoring the moment along with whatever you cook
Full Story
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)