USPS/Amazon shipping
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (43)
Related Discussions
Shipping USPS - A Cautionary Tale
Comments (8)I've shipped many pkgs via Priority mail using the e-mail notification feature. I've received many more but am extremely fortunate in that we have the nicest mail lady, Tina. Being in the country, she delivers via a mail vehicle. Knowing how to butter up people, I give her an ARS rose calendar every year and often leave rose blooms in floral tubes in my mail box for her. When we get a package, she brings it to the door along with the other mail. If she knows we're not feeling well she'll bring our mail to the door. I ship roses and on one occassion a little water leaked through the box. I had taken it to the post office to ship and the counter clerk noticed the wet spot. She helped me repackage it right there. I've lived in smaller towns all my life with post offices that employ people who know of me and my rose hobby. I'm always treated well and they seem to go out of their way to assist me. Fortunately, I've never had an experience like yours. If I'm not going to be home, a note in my mailbox and/or on the door will get any package and the mail delivered to my neighbor's house....See MoreUSPS New Shipping Policy
Comments (25)Just a random thought going thru my head.. would it be more cost effective to find a box that works best with the USPS rules regarding dimension, and buy it yourself rather than using their "free" boxes .. you know they have figured out their fees based upon their boxes. I don't know if that would be more cost effective or provide some sort of answer to the problem. Sort of along the lines as the "tubes" others are referring to. I wonder if there is a rectangular smaller box that a band would just slip into.. and how much it would cost to mail. I also traded a couple of years ago with a forumer who told me to wash all excess soil out of the roots, wrap them in wet paper towels and then plastic wrap. I never would have believed the roses would make it not wilted and "shocked" but they arrived in great shape, and I have sent quite a few this way thru the mail also and always "checked back" with the person I was trading with. No complaints ever. Of course that was to keep the "weight" down. Dimensions are a whole nuther ballgame. Marleah...See MoreAmazon Prime shipping
Comments (40)Deliveries that go the "final mile" via USPS have been a problem for the past couple of years in my neighborhood. Lots of complaints from lots of us about missing, mis-delivered, marked as delivered but not for 3-4 more days, "no one home", "unable to access" etc etc. Mail and packages found dropped in yards and streets. Even had an incident where certified mail from the IRS was delivered into a mailbox-- the wrong mailbox, not signed for by wrong homeowner (or the intended recipient obviously), but somehow it had been signed for according to USPS. We have been told that it is because our neighborhood is used for "training". Seems like little training and less supervision to me. I have a package - live plants (not ordered from Amazon) - that made it from CA to the FedEx facility, in a nearby suburb, Friday mid afternoon. According to the tracking, it departed that facility Friday evening -- to where I don't know! Once before I had a package that made it to that facility, then next showed up in northern Indiana, before returning to town 3 days later....See MoreAmazon claims that USPS delivered package that I never received
Comments (71)The USPS has been handicapped by too much politicization (especially in the last 4 years), underfunding, and an employee union that hinders change, cost rationalization moves and flexibility. And poor management. Like other government-related services (yes, I know it's quasi-independent), you get what you pay for and don't get what you don't pay for. I'd bet that the union would come to the table and negotiate better terms on a win-win basis if a commitment were made to boost subsidies. The savings that could be wrung out of thoughtful restructuring of operations plus providing added funds could substantially improve service. It's like far too many governmental and other non-private sector organizations - poorly managed, bloated staff, not the best employee base, limited ability to dismiss or discipline poor performers. For now, USPS seems to have too many unmotivated and underperforming employees who in addition need to deal with organizational problems. Better management, better oversight, could do wonders. It's an essential service that needs to be better. Like potholes in a busy highway, we can't continue to do nothing as problems mount. Oh, and they need to fire all the cheaters and liars, the kind who say they've left a delivery near a gate when everyone can see it's near the front door. ;-)...See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years agolucillle thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

HOME OFFICESSmall-Business Savvy: Set Up a Shipping Station
Packaging and shipping products efficiently is an essential part of your creative business. Is your studio up to the task?
Full Story
Gift Guide: 50 Flat or Foldable Finds
Make shipping extra easy this holiday with gifts you can send in a flat-rate envelope
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGSwing Into National Hammock Day
Only one day to celebrate such a worthy pastime? Pshaw. Start on July 22 and let these photos inspire you to keep on rockin’
Full Story
CURB APPEALHouzz Call: Show Us Your Mailbox!
Celebrate the U.S. Postal Service’s 240th birthday by uploading photos of your fabulous mailbox
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSModko Litter Boxes Address the Mess
A design duo has reinvented the much-maligned cat box, with an award-winning result
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Layouts: A Vote for the Good Old Galley
Less popular now, the galley kitchen is still a great layout for cooking
Full Story
ORGANIZING7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Kitchen
Our weeklong plan will help you get your kitchen spick-and-span from top to bottom
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDownsizing Help: How to Edit Your Belongings
Learn what to take and what to toss if you're moving to a smaller home
Full Story
MOVINGRelocating Help: 8 Tips for a Happier Long-Distance Move
Trash bags, houseplants and a good cry all have their role when it comes to this major life change
Full Story
outpaientzero