SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audreyclaire2

Need help figuring out layout of my kitchen renovation

Audrey
last year

I bought a 1924 house last year and am doing a small addition to the kitchen. I cook every day and want to make the space functional and bright while still feeling appropriate for a 1920s home. I've been playing with the layout for months but can't quite figure it out. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Goals for the finished space:

• Lots of natural light! Ideally from 2 walls. The kitchen gets beautiful late afternoon light
  • Sink under window(s) facing the backyard
  • Ample prep space next to stove
  • Dishwasher next to sink and near storage for plates and silverware
  • 30" farmhouse sink (already purchased)
  • 30" Range

My issues so far:

• Access to the backdoor and basement is tight and cannot be moved. Feels awkward...
  • Shallow niche is not deep enough for counter
  • Tight to fit an island (nice to have, not essential)
  • Where to put the fridge? Pantry wall seems like an obvious spot but it would jut out, even if I get a counter depth model
  • How wide to open up the doorway to the living/dining room

I am not married to my design and want to make sure I am not missing an obvious answer (or not so obvious!) This is my first kitchen renovation and I want to get it right so any help or advice is appreciated!

Layout after the addition:

Current kitchen taken from doorway to the living room. Window looks towards the backyard. Doorway to backdoor (down a few steps) and basement to the right of the window. Current sink wall is the tricky niche

Taken from doorway to backdoor. Wall with cabinetry will be pushed back during the addition to square off the room

Photo from the sink niche. Door to exterior will be lost and that wall is moving in the renovation.

A few views of my current design idea:

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!