SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anya_samek

Help me figure out if my kitchen can be improved?

Anya S
3 years ago

We are under contract for a house and it has a funky layout. Trying to figure out whether to proceed. We will be on a tight budget initially, but want to replace the sink and countertops because they are very worn (pictures make them look much better than they are). So given the countertop replacement I thought we may try to move things around. We hope to keep the same cabinets as much as possible. The pain points with the kitchen are: 1) awkward cramped spacing on the fridge side - only about a foot of counter space on each side of the stove, and skinny uppers on either side of stove 2) awkward big hutch to the other side of fridge and 3) I wish I had more space on counters without anything above 4) id love some kind of counterspace sitting area and 5) try to make it feel less narrow in relation to dining/living.

My preliminary idea is to move the fridge to the very end of the row (toward the dining), and lose the two uppers on that side, maybe replacing with open shelving or just do a subway backsplash all the way up. I would repaint cabinets in a lighter white (now they are very cream), maybe do a white marble counter (or black?) and add some natural wood accents (the open shelving). I also would prefer to have some counter space for sitting, one idea would be to extend the counter on the window side into the dining slightly to allow for stools underneath. Trying to go for something more modern/minimalist.

I have emailed some professionals for quotes, but so far in our area the kitchen designers I've encountered are about making the big remodels, which is not my budget.

If you think nothing can be done without moving walls I'm also happy to hear it!

Thanks for the help!

Comments (21)