SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_alp

Family room design overwhelm - please help!

Laurie Alp
last year

Our use of this room has evolved over time with young and growing children. We want to actually set it up with intention finally but I have no idea how to do it. We use it for socializing, family games (seated table), home office on work from home days (also seated table), lego building and scenes (small table - never big enough), and I suppose we have outgrown using it for crafting (as much as I hate to admit it). We also need space for cat litters here (currently in the back left corner by the hutch) which is where we tend to put our xmas tree in December as well. We have considered making it a tv room with a tv on the wall where the hutch currently lives. When I think about it all I get overwhelmed and nothing changes.

I have attached pictures leading into the room, and from each corner of the room. We just got new windows and shade and I plan to paint the walls, colour still undecided but I'm thinking light and airy. The map wall sticker will come down and I want to whitewash the brick to help make the room feel brighter, cleaner, and lighter for lounging with books, socializing comfortably with our kids, and ideally keep a table top space for games and home office work.

I would love suggestions for how to arrange the furniture and create a cleaner feel (get rid of the clutter) in this space considering our needs above. I am not attached to any of the furniture in this picture. The footprint is 16.5x13 feet.

Thank you so much in advance! Design is so not my wheelhouse.

Comments (6)