SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_howe9915941

these stairs are going to be the death of me.pls help!

M White
last year

I’m getting ready to reno my townhome. A top priority are these stairs. There are 13 very steep steps that go straight up. The top has the min 3 ft depth until you run into a bedroom door. The bottom has an immediate opening on the right (3ft wide) and an addition 2.5 ft to the front door.
I will be closing off the floating stairs, replacing the railings/ banister. Most importantly I need to find a way to make these stairs safer, hopefully by creating less of an incline
The only idea I can come up with is to close off the existing entry at the top and create a new entry on the top left instead which would open toward a bathroom. If I do this, and create 1-2 steps down, then have a small landing to turn right down to the first floor will this help with the issue?
As you can see I don’t have room for a switch back, spiral staircases would not pass inspection die to fire hazard. I’m trying to do this without compromising the frame of the home. I cannot add stairs to the top or bottom as is. There is no room. Please take a look at the pics I’ve attached. Completely perplexed. Thanks for your ideas !

Comments (14)