SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gracefullyaged

I need new lighting over our breakfast room table; please help

This light isn't working at all. The table is currently 60" x 48", but can be 72" x 48" if I add a leaf (then there would be two of the black chairs). It should be black, because I have two black chandeliers over the island. Other than that, I have no idea what I'm looking for other than "something else." Thank you.

Comments (41)

• gracefullyaged
    Original Author
    last year

• Jilly
    last year

Gracefully, can you show the island chandeliers?

• Related Discussions

Need help deciding finish on breakfast table light

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm laughing, because even though I will make literally, a dozen trips to many different paint stores to pick the "right" shade, not to mention, spending $$ on samples to paint on my wall, it would have NEVER occured to me to worry about my stainless frig, DW, or cooktop, in choosing a light. I want the light to go with the whole "feel" of the kitchen. And my cabinet handles are all oil rubbed bronze so a light would most likely be coppery or orb. Love your breakfast area. Love the copper color. Red
    ...See More

Please help me find chairs/light for dining/breakfast table

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for the feedback, yayagal and walnut creek. I was beginning to get nervous about the black. I don't know if you looked at the Thomas armchair, but that is quite simple. When not in use, I was going to place them in front of the window where the low red/goldish chairs are now. I was getting them in a pretty seafoamish-sage green because all my furniture in the adjoining family room is cream. To go with them, I was thinking of these aimple mission style side chairs, in black, but maybe now to match the table, with the same green upholstery seats. Thoughts, photos? Here is a link that might be useful: Mission chairs
    ...See More

Need help complimenting island pendent lights w/ breakfast nook light

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, where you see the bulb hanging down in the nook is what I'm shopping for. I'm thinking a diameter between 15-20" for a light over the table. The table that will be going there will likely be rectangle measuring somewhere around 34-36"x42" A chair on each end of the table.
    ...See More

Opinion on light Fixture over Dining Room table and Breakfast bar

Q

Comments (22)
    Hey Beth, do you think something like this would work in the space for pendants or do you think it's too big for the space I had mentioned earlier? https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdx/brayden-studio-burner-3-light-kitchen-island-pendant-brys7567.html Edison style lights are pretty yellow, with everything else being around 3000k, do you think a regular white halogen bulb would work instead? Another thought was something like this in that space to bring out some of the black in the granite picture earlier. https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdx/brayden-studio-daniell-3-light-kitchen-island-pendant-byst8275.html Do you have any thoughts on one over the other? Also, for the dining room table we were talking last night about maybe a hanging drum like this? https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdx/willa-arlo-interiors-gaetan-3-light-led-drum-chandelier-wrlo1657.html
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

Pretty room. Can you tell us in what sense the light you have now "doesn't work" for you? Looks, function, both? ANd what did you want to spend?

• maddielee
    last year

Maybe its the camera angle but the one you show looks like its too high.

Is it? pretty room.

• gracefullyaged
    Original Author
    last year

Ahhhh, @Jilly, I purposely didn't show those. They are so overdone (see pic). But they still don't bother me like the one over the table does! LOL

@mtnrdredux_gw, Looks! Somehow, it looks like it belongs over an 80s bathtub to me. Under $500 if possible. DH and I are both retiring in August. Gonna try to hold on to this place, but I don't want to invest in anything too precious. We did buy our down-sized home. DD and DSIL are renting it and they... errrr... love it. It's going to be awkward if we don't stay here. But I would prefer to LOVE the new chandelier AND be able to let it go if we sell.

@maddielee, It's 36" from bottom of chandelier to top of table. Maybe a little too high, but the turreted(?) ceiling is so high that I didn't want it to look like it would swing when we open the windows. It's awkward for sure!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

My first inclination was something like this:

But your island lights are so bossy (pretty island) that I am not sure. Also you don't seem to have brass anywhere... so def not in brass finish.

I might just do a single black drum shade? Since you like the island lights, you could also look up the mfr and see if they have something in that line you also like.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Hmmm I am not a fan of the barrel look and for sure not the mixture you have going in the kitchen. Can the barrel shades come off? Perhaps the fixture over the table should be black iron and crystals--no barrel? Whatever you decide on hang it lower than what's there now turret be damned!!! I see that it doens't really work with the kitchen fixtures..but I rather like it with your table etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

The poster likes what she has in the kitchen. So that look should be echoed in some way in the adjoining dining alcove. Repeating the drum is the least fussy option

• Olychick
    last year

I cannot tell the size from the photos, but if this were my house and I was trying to keep the budget in line, I would move one of the island lights to over the table and install two simpler, less expensive lights over the island.

• Jilly
    last year

Gracefully, your house is so lovely!

Sorry to keep bugging you about pictures, but can you get one from the other side of the dining room, towards the kitchen? I’m just trying to get a feel of the two rooms together.

I’m playing around on Lamps Plus, but am not seeing any I love yet.

I thought this one might be a contender, but am not sure. It might be both too alike and too different, if that makes sense. :D

I like the styles Mtn posted, too, and agree a less fussy fixture might work best. I just wanted to see a visual of one with crystals first for fun.

Back to looking!

• Olychick
    last year

I saw this one that is simpler than your kitchen lights but has some crystals to tie it in

• Jilly
    last year

I love the funky lines of this and think it looks great in your dining room, but … with the island lights? Thoughts, anyone?

(Not to scale):

Classic style, simpler … again, not to scale:

Drum, not to scale:

• amykath
    last year

Some great ideas here!

I found this one for 104 on sale at Wayfair. Here is a not so great mock up. Probably not to scale. It is 37" wide

Link to Chandy

• Jilly
    last year

Oh, I like that one best, Amy!

(I wish I could do mock-ups that well!)
    They look nice together:

• amykath
    last year

Thanks Jilly! I just use powerpoint. It allows you to remove the background.

ETA and it is only 104.00!

• Eileen
    last year

I prefer an open and airy candle style because of the solid black expanse of the valance. I'd want something that doesn't blend in with the valance. I love black as an accent and use it in my living room and dining room accessories but there's already a lot of black in that room. I'm not a crystal person but I can see how it would soften a wrought iron chandy.

• Eileen
    last year

A tiny amount of brass for shine? I think you need a tiered one or arms that curve upward because of the high ceiling.

https://www.build.com/maxim-11377/s1695529?uid=3999850&searchId=bPGAPzfPob

• blfenton
    last year

What about drum shade in white with brushed nickel? The trim and counter are both white and the island lights when on, are quite bright and don't read black. The kitchen hardware is brushed nickel - just looking to tie in other things rather than just the lights.

• Jilly
    last year

I can’t do these as well as Amy, but here are Eileen’s and bl’s.

Not to scale:

• Jilly
    last year

Oly, somehow I missed your post until just now! Here’s yours:

Ok, I’m retiring from mock-ups on this thread because mine stink so bad. 😄

• amykath
    last year

Here is the Build.com chandy. Probably not quite to scale.

• amykath
    last year

Again, propably not to scale. I am sure smaller in real life!

• Eileen
    last year

Thank you, Jilly and aktillery!

My opinion is that the drum shades are too repetitious with them being so close to the others.

Same for the dripping crystals. Repeating them is too much bling and the breakfast room isn't really blingy. But I wonder if a different crystal could work--just a crystal swag without drips. I also thought a clear glass shade might help bring some sparkle (if dusted frequently. Mine is swagged with cobwebs right now. :D) It would also tie in with the glass crystals of the drum shades

I was also wondering if white could work and I think blfenton's suggestion shows that it can. I too had noted the white counter, and the white windows. But I was thinking of shape and the only thing that came to mind were those shabby chic white metal chandies that can look cheap imo. That wouldn't work in this traditional home.

gracefullyaged thanked Eileen
  • Olychick
    last year

Thank you for the mock ups! What a talented design team we have!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Im confused. Why is Oly saying thank you?

• amykath
    last year

Oly, I tried so hard to do your chandy. It proved to be too intricate for my sad Powerpoint attempt!

• gracefullyaged
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much everyone! I have to work in the office on Tuesdays and forgot to take my phone with me. What a treat to come home to your feedback!

… But you’re not making this decision easier!! LOL

@mtnrdredux_gw, I love the simplicity of that chandelier. You are correct; I don’t have brass (that’s what was here when we moved in and we replaced or covered it all… I am definitely not prescient or a trendsetter!). Maybe the shades would tie it in? I’ve gotten pretty good with using Sophisticated Finishes and Rub a Dub to cover up metals and, at that price point, could be worth a try. However, as @Eileen pointed out, I wouldn’t want the shades to get lost in the window treatments… maybe hanging it lower would do the trick.

@arcy_gw, The lights over the island are a barrel shape, but the "barrel" is made of wire with crystals in between. I guess I was into bling back in 2013 (LOL). I will hang the next light lower, but it is only 36” above the table now. I think it’s supposed to be 30-36” above the table?

@Olychick, I think one of the island lights moved to over the table would look too small. They are only 16” diameter and the table is 60-72” long, depending on the # of leaves. And I agree! What a talented design team!!!

@Jilly, Additional photos follow, but it’s intimidating with this audience and your beautiful homes. My decorating style would best be described as HotA** Mess. . . but that’s why I need your help! Thank you SO much for the mock ups (even though I’m overwhelmed). Your “funky” chandelier draws me (source?). Sometimes I worry I have too much funk.

@amykath, I could buy that to try and donate if I don’t like it. What a great find! I was looking at something similar (price wasn’t listed; photo follows), but wasn’t sure that style would work with the island lights (also, at 75” wide, it’s much too large; your find is to scale). You and Jilly are so talented with mock ups. Thank you both.

@Eileen, I do have too much black. The whole house is kind of bossy and seemed to call for it when we bought it. Surprisingly, I don’t find it dreary.

@blfenton, The appliances and faucet/sink are stainless, but the cabinet pull color is called “Venetian Bronze.” Please see my decorating style above. LOL

I’m not married to the island lights; they COULD be replaced. They just don’t bug me nearly as much as the light over the table. It was also REALLY hard to figure out what to do with the big black "tumor" over the island from which the chandeliers hang. LOL. We weren't sure what was hiding in there. There was a long brass fluorescent light hung on chains originally (oh my!), and that's why the chandeliers are so far apart.

• Olychick
    last year

Oh, the kitchen lights look much better from the angle in the new pics. Thanks for posting them. Yes, too small to be used in the dining room.

• Jilly
    last year

What! Your house is so cool and beautiful! I love your style. Fabulous. 😍

Here’s Funky Light. I’m $1 under budget. 😁

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/manfred-35-and-one-half-inch-wide-black-2-tier-10-light-chandelier__91w59.html

Can’t wait to see what you decide!

• Jilly
    last year

PS: I really like that Belfair light you posted.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Honestly, lights can be very inexpensive. I would buy three very simple lights and replace all three. if you want a refresh. I think there is a lot going on in the rooms and you might enjoy something simpler.

And yes, what is the purpose of the black curved ceiling structure?

• salonva
    last year

I love that Belfair but I looked it up and if I got the right one- it says it is 75 inches wide? that may be a tad too huge. Maybe it comes in other sizes?

• amykath
    last year

Don't hate me. I know you said your island lights do not bother you like your chandy, however I thought I would just play around with your island lights. I removed the dark curved structure and added some pendant lights. I have no idea if they would be anyone's taste but they were easy to add in my sorry powerpoint mock up.

• Tina Marie
    last year

Your kitchen is beautiful. : ) I don't think you have too much black, but I would remove the structure above the island on which the lights are mounted. I really like the open-ness of the black lights with candles. I also like the black drum shade light, but the thing about black shades is they really show dust. : ( To me, the white light fixture stands out too much. I think if you hung one of the black lights with candles below the valance, you would be fine.

gracefullyaged thanked Tina Marie
  • gracefullyaged
    Original Author
    last year

I appreciate it, @amykath! So… to address the “structure” (I like that term better than ceiling growth or tumor as DH refers to it!), I’ve attached a not-very-good picture of a picture of the RE listing. The “structure” was the exact same size and shape as the island, so I think the POs installed it as a design element. When we moved in (2009), we completed a DIY cosmetic update, but were afraid to tackle the “structure,” because we weren’t sure what it was hiding and we had no experience in replacing or repairing ceiling drywall. It is made of wood, and we just decided to paint it and embrace it until we got around to a full remodel.

We no longer plan to remodel, but you all have me wondering if I should pause the light replacement until August when we retire and have the “structure” removed and all three lights replaced at that time. Thoughts? In that case, what are your recommendations for two island lights and a new light over the table? I agree with Mtn; I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the cost of lighting. I recall everything being much more expensive last time we shopped. Thanks!

• Jilly
    last year

Gracefully, I think waiting is a good idea, and getting everything together … unless you find a dining room chandelier you just love and have to have. Then you could work around it. :)

You have so beautifully transformed those rooms, wow!

gracefullyaged thanked Jilly
  • Eileen
    last year

Except that there's nothing wrong with the pendants unless you want to simplify the lights. I wouldn't stray too far from traditional "upscale" because that's what your home is. What you call a breakfast room is a pretty fancy dining room in most houses.

Do you want to move away from crystal all together?

gracefullyaged thanked Eileen
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

we completed a DIY cosmetic update,

You did a fantastic job!

wondering if I should pause the light replacement until August when we retire and have the “structure” removed and all three lights replaced at that time.

Yes!

In that case, what are your recommendations for two island lights and a new light over the table?

There are too many directions to go to answer that. If it were me, and I wanted a refresh, I would start by looking at kitchens on line and in magazines and see what you like. That way you will only be looking at what is au courant, which is kind of what a refresh should be. Especially if you are doing all 3, rather than trying to match something, it should be easy. Set a budget and stick to it. You can spend a fortune on lighting, but there are also many nice options that are good value .... there really is no need.

PS I will say this. The drum shade with a chandelier peaking out of the bottom was all the rage 10+ years ago. I know, since I bought one for that reason ... custom ... from england. Duh. Anyway, IMHO they look dated now. So I would not choose those, and I also would not choose anything expensive becuase lighting is trendier than you might first imagine.

gracefullyaged thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • gracefullyaged
    Original Author
    last year

I will be back in August, then! Thanks for clearing my head, everyone!

• amykath
    last year

Grace, I think MTN is right. Take a breather... see what you like. You did a fab job with your home already! The before and after is quite a difference to say the least.

Looking forward to helping you when you are ready.

Amy