SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrienne610

Looking for inspiration/help with exterior paint colors for my house

Alin
last year

If you know of any easy to use apps/tools to try colors virtually, please share. I've tried a few and none of them seem to work well. We are having the house painted in the Spring and I would love ideas/inspiration. I can't even seem to find pictures of similar style homes online to get ideas from. The shutters that were on the windows under the porch broke off, so those will be replaced- so please suggest a color for those as well. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (44)

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

What a charming house! What year is it?

I think the white is perfect. I definitely would not go in the ubiquitous modern or trendy direction (adding MCM elements, limewashing the brick).

What is your goal? I’d play up the vintage cottage charm and character with whatever color you decide. Maybe landscaping updates, too?

Alin thanked Jilly
  • Alin
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! It was built in 1940. We are the 3rd owner's and the previous owner lived there since 1950. She was 94 when she passed and had not kept up w/ the house much. So the goal is to clean it up, get the curb appeal back and play up the charm. Landscaping is definitely on the list ~ but we wanted to tackle the painting first. White isn't out of the question, but open to other ideas for sure. thanks!

• Related Discussions

Exterior paint - looking for a trim color for my house.

Q

Comments (1)
    I know when I landscape the front yard it will add color but for now I need to paint the trim. Please help!!!
    ...See More

Help me finish the paint on the exterior of my house

Q

Comments (3)
    The color of my house is just a little lighter than yours. So that it would not look bland, I used a beautiful blue from Behr Marquee called Superior blue. Here is a photo of my house (I also used red for my doors):The blue trim and the red doors help to keep my house from looking boring and bland! I suggest going bolder with the trim color, something that will compliment the color of your house, roof, door color, and anything else you have on your house. My colors were chosen so that they would work well with the stone on the front of my house, roof color, and the red brick on my chimney.
    ...See More

Help! I need to modernize my home's exterior(paint color+stone dillema

Q

Comments (16)
    of the colors you have in your photo, try the likeable sand. I think it would blend better with the stone. Paint the front door a fun welcoming color, but paint the garage door the color of the house. I like your home, too. Congratulations. you have plenty of time to play with color til spring and painting/ planting weather arrive . enjoy.
    ...See More

Looking to refresh the exterior of my home...mainly paint!..h e l p :)

Q

Comments (7)
    You need a color that works with your roof and your stone. Thats gonna be tricky because your stone looks to be beige but your roof is a dark charcoal. Gotta have something that works with your windows too unless you plan to change those. Check out Maria Killam blog. Tons of info and most of what im about to tell you comes from her and from the Brick and Batten blog. Get rid of the big ass bush and update your posts and railings. Go light and fresh on your paint. Offhand, id look at BM Edgecomb Grey. Its a green gray that will generally read ivory on exterior. Thats a wild guess you will need to test until you find the color thats right. BM white dove can also work with warm beiges but it has a little grey so might work with your roof. Get samples from samplize. Bigger and more modern house numbers. On the paint, light and monochromatic is current. Your garage door is too much real estate IMO to paint black. If you must go dark do something like Kendall Charcoal. A true black would be very harsh. Figure out body color first then your door and other accents. If all this seems overwhelming send pics of your house to BrickandBatten.com and they will do the whole design for you, as will Maria. You might try posting on other Houzz forums also which is free. Lots of good ideas there. Check out the before and afters on brick and batten and maria's blog. You've got a very nice house...with updates it could be a total knockout.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    last year

We have some very talented mock-up painters here, hopefully they see this! You might need to get a bit closer and clearer photograph.

I’d love to see how something soft would look — yellow, green, khaki, a soft gray, cream, etc.

One thing that might be fun to do is look up paint colors from the 1940s.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/color-through-the-decades/1930s

Also, if you haven’t already, search ’1940s house exterior’ … lots of fun pictures come up.

I can tell this sweet house is in good hands and will be loved! :)

This article is so quaint, just posting for fun:

https://clickamericana.com/topics/featured/start-living-in-a-thrift-home-1950

• housegal200
    last year

Don't forget landscaping! I like the navy and yellow accents with the brick.

My Houzz: Sophisticated, Old World Charm for a Dallas Rambler · More Info

• Jilly
    last year

Housegal, love the first one you posted! That has so much character.

• Alin
    Original Author
    last year

I really like the navy blue shutters!

• AbbyNormal
    last year

Keep the white, and then paint the garage door and your front door in a soft accent color that picks up a color from the brick, like a soft charcoal gray.. Is that a copper roof over the bay window? If so, be sure your accent color coordinates with that blue/green color. Your shutters could be the same color, or you could pick a third accent color, and then pick that color up with wooden chairs or planters for your porch. Cute house!

• Mary Wiggenhorn
    last year

What color is the mortar between the bricks? If it's a creamy color, I would go with that and then a soft French blue for the door. And definitely agree with no shutters. Paint garage to match the house.

• teddismomcheryl
    last year

Your house is adorable. I agree with others that you shouldn't attempt shutters. I would focus on landscaping by removing the current bushes up front. Make the pathway to the front door more visually targeted. I would also replace the roof with the same color shingle.

• lazidazi
    last year

Do not put shutters back up. They are fake, a gimmick many employ because they're relatively cheap and easy. Don't follow the crowd. Instead, be Creative and thereby effective, through choice of colors and their placement.

Do not paint the garage door an accent color. Your Front door and entry should stand out, as a welcoming invitation. The garage is not an element of the house to which one wants to invite folks, or even to invite their attention; garage should blend-in, nothing more.

Choosing color is tricky. The fact that you're coordinating with brick, dictates limitations of color choices. Obviously black and white work. Colors must also coordinate with copper roof over bay window. Green goes well with brick. Gray-Black-White-Charcoal will work. Navy and yellow [as above] will work, but not blue of any lighter hue.

Beyond color choice, is Placement of that color. One distinctive place to detail an accent color is on the window sashes - painting just the window *frame* that holds the glass, while using another color for the window trim. Example: Color1 = Door and window sashes; Color2 = House and window trim; Color3 = Siding.

Photo examples given to show detailing window sashes with accent color.

• coray
    last year

I agree with leaving the shutters off…..and I really like the white. With improved landscaping and a fresh paint job it’ll look renewed.

• Dana Evans
    last year

What a cute house. storybook. i love it. i would put the money into a new roof, fresh white paint- new garage doors and landscaping! those scraggly bushes have got to go! lucky you with such a charming home🤗

• RedRyder
    last year

Agree that keeping the house white is still the best, traditional idea. A softer, creamier white would be a small change but match the brick better. BM Ballet white is softer than Simply White. SW Creamy is a beautiful ivory as is Antique White. Get a Samplize of each and look at them at all times of the day on all the surfaces that need to be painted. Keep the garage the same color.

Absolutely no shutters. They weigh down the house, which has adorable features already.

Figure out the front door color last.

A white and brick house is very easy to landscape because everything pops against it. To avoid bushes growing too tall, look at dwarf species. A separate post asking for landscaping ideas will bring out other talented Houzzers. Plan your spring garden now!

Your house is lovely and a historic charmer.

• Gloria Graf
    last year

I love the white! i would not change it. Landscaping with some colorful flowers will add more color and charm to your already charming house.

• coray
    last year

Maybe place a small bench under the windows, it will fill in the space below, make them appear less high.

• terrib962
    last year

The orangey red brick is a warm tone and the white is a cool tone - that is why it looks a bit off now. The roof being black clashes also - it should be a dark brown or even a tile red. They all need to blend better. Pick colors you like no matter the color, and even consider painting the brick. If you do not paint the brick, the other colors need to be warm tones of browns and beiges and maybe certain shades of green. Paint a 2'x2' piece of plywood with a $4-5 sample of paint, hold up to house and look at from distance. Paint several pieces of different colors. For a small change, paint all the white in a beige and get a brown roof. Or - paint the brick in a cool tone and leave the black roof and white wood. Or cool tone colors that blend. This is all the best advice of any.

• lazidazi
    last year

P.S. The black roof does not clash [at all]. Do Not paint the brick. Yes, it's a must to sample colors on site, at the house, in natural light.

• pugga
    last year

It's a lovely house. I agree, the black roof, the brick, and the white siding are classical and very appropriate for the house style. I also agree that a softer, creamier white would look very nice.

• motupeg
    last year

I really like your home.

• Linda
    last year

You asked about tools/programs to try colors etc. I use Live Home 3D Pro. I'm a mac user, but it is compatible with all computers. I found the learning curve to be pretty easy, and it is a one time fee — very reasonable. You can shift easily between 2D and 3D and elevation views — change colors and materials, landscape etc. BTW — I am not affiliated with the software company. I just use the program and am passing along my experience.

• houssaon
    last year

You could paint the siding a pretty color and the trim a creamy white. I would not put any bushes in front of the cute porch.

• wiseca9
    last year

Love the front porch and classic details of your home. I agree with keeping the red brick, and white siding (or a creamy white). If you paint it a darker color, the porch won't have the same street appeal since you won't be able to see the detail as well. I like the idea of landscaping with low plants along the porch, maybe a flower box on the bay window, and adding a couple of colorful chairs on the porch.

(click to enlarge)

• partim
    last year

Red brick with a black/charcoal roof and white trim is a classic look that will never go out of style.

I speak from experience when I say to avoid window boxes. They will inevitably drip water and damage the siding under them. Expensive to keep replacing the plants in them, which never bloom for long because of the restricted root ball. Need way too much watering/fertilizer.

Houses look more welcoming and attractive when the focus is on the front door. There are a couple of easy ways you can improve that for your home.

Paint the garage door a dark colour, similar to the roof colour whether it is charcoal or black.

The large expanse of white siding under the bay window is not attractive. It gives an odd proportion to the window, and draws the eye away front door area. Either camouflage it with tall evergreen shrubs, or even paint it the same dark colour as the garage door, or both.

With the new purchase of an older neglected home you probably have a lot of demands on your budget, but consider a porch railing at some time to draw the eye to the entrance to the house, and give a welcoming sense of enclosure to the porch area.

I gave you a big mail box in the space beside your porch window. Or you could put the house numbers or a welcome sign there. Again, to draw the eye and reinforce that this is where I want you to be looking.

Congratulations, you bought a lovely house. It just needs a little tweaking to really bring out its charm.

• Bengal24
    last year

Big no to porch railing. Keep your home classic.

• Alin
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone for the ideas and for the online tool to use. I love everyone's opinions and experiences...keep em coming!!

• chloebud
    last year

“Red brick with a black/charcoal roof and white trim is a classic look that will never go out of style.”

Agree…very classic!

• dreaminginwi
    last year

Check out Brick and Batten for tons of before and after inspiration. While not an app, this just might help you visualize some of the great ideas and advice you’ve gotten from fellow Houzzers. Their Instagram and Pinterest feeds may even have more before and afters than their website.

https://www.brickandbatten.com/

Personally I say no shutters : )

• A. Overbee
    last year

I'd advise stepping back and deciding what you want to achieve with the paint. Looking at your house, I would want to (1) minimize the large visible roof by leaving an open front in terms of landscaping. Anything medium or tall in height will make your house look very squatty. For that reason, I wouldn't do anything with the pillars - they add height, which you may want to emphasize. If you decide you want to (2) enhance and enlarge the look of the house, I would paint the entire house (brick and all). Shutters would chop up the area making your home appear smaller. In summary, if it was my house I'd paint everything - brick and entire left face of the home, plus the porch (options: Sherwin Williams Alpaca, Shoji White OR Evening Shadow), leaving the posts and garage door white. Add accent color with a chair and little accent table on the porch.

• lazidazi
    last year

@dreaminginwi, Fun to see the before and after pictures on Brick and Batten. Interestingly, two things stood out [besides their showcasing that Design is Everything].

1. There is a main element present in the After pictures, that is missing in the Before pictures: Landscaping - Sleek, simple and striking landscape Design is present in the After pictures but not so in the before pics. Comes as no surprise to most of us; emphasizes the point for anyone in question of the value of landscape design.

2. Most all of the After pictures show accenting the window sashes [separately from window trim color as I suggested earlier].

@Alin

• PRO
    Thomas J Buckley Interiors
    last year

White gray black it’s over and so over done . A beautiful putty color with a teal front door in high gloss no shutters is my thought

• RedRyder
    last year

Please don’t paint the brick. It’s part of the style of your house and you will not be able to ”undo” it. No need to do an HGTV move on this charmer.

Painting the siding under the bay window might work to make it look more proportional, but not sure what color.

What color is the front door?

• lazidazi
    last year

"Painting the siding under the bay window might work to make it look more proportional...."

Definitely. [All] Siding needs be a different color than the trim color. Stay away from Blue, it does not go well with the brick.

• Alin
    Original Author
    last year

@redryder right now the door is white. You can't see the front door from the curb though bc it's on the left side of the windows under the covered porch.

• stappolomia
    last year

Replace both windows with a black framed window. Paint red brick white and the other white trim on the home a dark charcoal/black rich tone.

• Charlene Smith
    last year

I would start simple. Start with landscaping and adding interest and color to the porch

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

Oh my goodness!!! Your home has SO much curb appeal. It is absolutely perfect. Good luck with the updates. I can't wait to see them!

• HU-638308640
    last year

I will paint the garage door blue it’s a darker blue called Distance from SW, and the V part on the top of the house the same blue and the white post I will also paint that blue by the front porch, also 2 chairs preferably hanging from the porch ceiling and a small coffee table, nice porch lights and walkway lights and 3 tall plants in the porch and maybe in the spring do some flowers landscape. Beautiful house.

• HU-638308640
    last year

Also if you are doing the roof I will match the color to the blue paint, the roof color is called harbor blue. Good luck.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

This is my fave for working with brick and I love all the trim the same as the pic. I do not like blue with brick and no shutters would be my choice Not sure where the front door is but you could for sure improve the landscaping and I always like a walkway from the street to the front door

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Very cute house! I wouldn't put up shutters but perhaps a flower box under the window with shade flowers such as impatiens since it's most likely a shaded area on the porch. Illustrated below are my suggestions including improving the landscaping and installing a walkway.

Note: There are flower boxes on the market that are no rust, no rot, come with a liner and don't leak.

• lazidazi
    last year

Colors that work together that you may like:

• Azad Ayad
    last year

It's beautiful and well-matched

• RedRyder
    last year

I painted my master bathroom vanity in SW Distance and it has a bit of purple in it. I am not sure how it would look in direct sunlight. I don’t think it would be a good color with your brick.