SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jplee3

Landscape fabric and clay soil

jplee3
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

I am in Orange County (Southern California) with pretty hard clay soil that gets extremely muddy when it rains. I'm doing a pretty major yard renovation (turf removal rebate, etc) and there are a couple more narrow areas/spaces in the yard where I'm considering filling with DG and or river rock (thinking 2-3" sized stones minimum).

I've heard that if you just pour DG or gravel directly over this soil, it'll eventually just start sinking in and get mixed up and make a bigger mess. Would the solution and way I want to do it then be to use landscaping fabric? If so, is there a specific type? Or is it better to pour in roadbase or use a combination of roadbase and landscape fabric? And regarding the volume of material, should I be looking at 3" minimum height in all cases?

Here is the area we are considering putting the 2-3" river rock (it's currently flooded but I would likely be looking to pour the rocks in at least approximately tot he point wher the corner of the house and window are. The area after that I may just mulch and plant something):

And the area I'm considering just pouring in DG:

There's also an area of hardscaping that I'm planning to layout in the main area of our backyard and would be planning to put down DG as well as flagstones. Same questions for those regarding preventing all of them from sinking and settling into the clay soil and becoming a muddy mess when it rains.

Here are some pictures of the main area of the backyard with a rough drawing of what we're thinking (the 'path' would be DG. The area between the iron fence/block wall and the path & flagstone/firepit would be where we are planting):

And pictures of the area from the ground level:

Thank you!

Comments (11)