SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ankh_gw

Choices to Fix Overwatered Clay Soil

ankh
15 years ago

I had some landscaping done at my home this spring. The landscaper recommended landscape fabric under pinebark mulch. In some locations, that seems to have worked well enough, but in one fairly large (and separate) area, I've discovered (after seeing new plantings wilt and not take off growing) that the soil is seriously compacted and has turned into a heavy clay sludge. The mulch is wet through. I stopped irrigation about 2 weeks ago but everything remains soggy. I think the mulch is too deep (at least 5" in some places), I think I must have overwatered, and I think the landscape fabric didn't help. I'm wondering what, if anything, I can do right now to improve the situation. I am pretty sure I've completely lost a tiger sumac, and now I'm concerned about the bulbs I just planted (I just cut out the landscape fabric in those areas) and the other plantings. Should I be raking back the mulch, cutting out the fabric and putting in a ton of compost and peat? Should I let the leaves from the trees sit on top of the mulch over the winter?

Comments (11)