SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_738056322

Mystery Leaks!!! leaks over windows with heavy rain and wind

last year

Please Help!!! My home is 17 years old, rear of home is south facing and we are at the top of a small hill in a residential neighborhood. Our first year we had leaks over the downstairs windows at the back of the home, after heavy rain and wind. Builder came out removed some stucco and over the windows and "fixed it". Several years later same thing. They came out "fixed it". Being in California we went through a bit of a drought with no heavy wind and rain for many years. October 2020 we had very heavy rain and wind and the leaks reappeared with a vengeance! The windows themself are not leaking, water is coming in over the top of the windows. The builder dissolved the business in California and moved to Texas. Home insurance would not cover. We removed some of the stucco on our own and found dry root so we contacted several contractors. All three said stucco needed to be removed, needed to repair dry root, repaper the house and replace windows. We went with the general contractor with the highest ratings and who had experience with this in the past. First photo is prior to all of the stucco being removed and you can see where we removed some. Second photo is after stucco removed by contractor were you can see affected areas. Dry root was seen above the downstairs left window, over the slider and under the downstairs right window(hidden by the tree) Dry root was also half way up the upstairs bedroom window. Work was completed in September 2022. They did not reapply the styrofoam decor pieces. They used Tyvek. We have had some recent heavy rains and wind and the leaks are back in all the same places. The contractor is stumped and every family member and friend I have who is familiar with construction is also stumped. One other person in the neighborhood has similar issues except their upstairs windows are also leaking. Our contractor is committed to finding out the problem but I decided to post here as well. We have a brand new roof so that is not the issue. Crack joint, attic vent, uphill rain? What else could it be based on the location of the damage? Would truly appreciate expert opinion, I am desperate!

Comments (16)