SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachgirlok

Windows Leaking - Now Pulling Off Rock

beachgirlok
16 years ago

We moved into our home a little less than a year ago. Before the rock was put on, the lower windows on the North side leaked. First the builder brought out the window people. The builder told me he sprayed water on the windows, and that they didn't leak and that the problem was solved. There was no more leaking for some time and then one of the windows leaked again when there was heavy rain with wind from the north. My builder suggested we seal the rock (which I was convinced wouldn't work). I had another builder look at the window, and he thought the problem was the ledge below the window. The rock people removed the ledge, replaced it, and they thought they saw the problem. Then, during the recent heavy rains with north winds, we had leaking on all lower north windows which had second story windows directly above.

I have talked to approximately 10 builders and one architect and one engineer. None has heard of the "drain plane" of which I have read on the internet and this web site. My builder wants to seal all the rock on the entire house. He has refused to read anything about the drain plane and told me "you can read all you want on the internet" and that they problem is that the rock is too porous and that it isn't his fault because I picked the rock and the stone mason. Regardless of finger pointing, at this point I just want to get it fixed, and find someone that can fix it. I'm convinced that the current builder doesn't know how to.

My husband and I have (on our own) contacted the rock mason, and today they started removing the stone both above and below and between the upper and lower windows. We have friend that is a builder that builds multi-million dollar homes in VA that is visiting family locally coming in a couple of weeks to look at the windows. His plan is to put some sort of wind-ice membrane material to keep out the rain. There is house wrap up, but I suspect that it is been incorrectly installed and that the flashing on the windows is incorrectly installed.

How would you suggest protecting the house during the two-week period before the repairs can be done? They have almost removed one of the three sections today.

We have been abandoned by our builder who wants to put a bandaid on a heart attack. We are really at a loss as to where to turn as everyone who has looked at the house says they don't know how it could leak. When they get more rock removed I'll post pictures if it would help.

Comments (23)