SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

New Miele STILL Leaking - Now in the Middle

djdoggone
10 years ago

We bought a new Miele dishwasher in October. Having read enough posts to realize the importance of proper installation, we called the Miele showroom in Wellesley to get a recommendation for a certified installer/sales person.

The new machine leaked from the get-go but Hubby and I spent several days making sure it wasn't a dumb user problem. When we were sure of ourselves we called the sales person/installer. He told us to call Miele service. We did and Miele sent out a technician. He found that the machine leaked through the door on one side and ordered a door seal.

When the door seal came in a second Miele technician came out to install it. He did, but while he was here he said the machine wasn't installed correctly and told us to get back the installer. The machine still leaked.

Having lost confidence in the original installer, we spoke with the Miele area rep and got the name of their top-notch installer. He charged $500 for the installation because he came from afar. He did not shim the dishwasher as the Miele technician had said he must, but he did secure the machine to the sides of the cabinet with screws. (The original installer had only secured the machine to the countertop with a single screw.) It still leaked. The second, top-notch installer said it was nothing he did, call Miele.

We arranged for a third Miele technician to come out and re-re-install the dishwasher, and to bring shims. He did so but the machine continued to leak. He saw that the door and the hinges needed to be replaced because they were out of whack.

While getting our monthly haircuts we shared our trials with the fellow patrons, which of course started the round of appliance stories. But one fellow, who is a big DIY, handy guy offered this advice: get a new machine. His take on it is that we probably got a machine that was damaged in transit. We can go about getting these repairs done by Miele, and it might even stop leaking for a while, but there is probably a host of other things that are slightly out of order now and will present problems eventually, and long before they would if we had a non-lemon.

We thought on it and agreed that he was right so we approached Miele about getting a new machine. The service person we spoke with on the phone said he would approach his boss about it and get back to us. A week passed and we still hadn't heard back so we called again.

Suddenly Miele is saying that the original install ruined the machine, that we should have worked the issue with the original installer (who, though recommended by Miele, did not install the machine correctly, according to Miele. My husband has read the installation instructions and says that it should have been shimmed and secured to the sides of the cabinet.)

Now we are in the middle, with a brand new leaking Miele dishwasher. I convinced my husband to go with the Miele dishwasher because of the company, saying they would stand behind their product. Being seniors on a fixed income, we wanted a dishwasher that would last our final twenty years.

What the heck is the right way to proceed? I'm convinced this machine was bad before it was ever installed but I can't prove that. Do I just give up?

Comments (15)