SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelles_nh

Need advice on new construction Kitchen Layout

michelles_nh
last year
last modified: last year

Hello we are building a new lakefront vacation home and need some advice on the kitchen layout.

We will have up to 3 families at the home and everyone always gravitates to the kitchen. We will do a lot of cooking (2 cooks) so incorporated 48" walkways around the island. I also enjoy facing family/guests while cooking so placed the cooktop on the island (considering 36" induction cooktop but may go with electric cooktop as a backup). To maximize the views from the island we decided on no upper cabinets along the lakefront wall. Instead we placed the sink/dishwasher and waste cabinet along that wall. Figured this would be the cleanup/food prep section.

The kitchen is 16' by 21' and open to the family room with stairs dividing. To support the open concept we needed a support beam to run across the kitchen and family room. It is 13' from the "street side wall" which is near the dining table. There is another set of windows (6' wide by 4'6" tall) behind the island where the dining table would be located ie the "street side wall".

there is a 7' wet bar/beverage center perpendicular to the dining table. This will have a undercounter wine/beer fridge. small prep sink. Coffee maker with full set of upper cabinets.

To make it easier to put the dishes away I thought the cabinets next to the fridge would be an ideal spot. I don't want to store on the island as someone is generally in the way hanging around the island.

I hope I provided all of the dimensions and planning information you need to provide some feedback on the layout.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and consideration!

Comments (8)