SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Let’s talk about funeral homes!

dedtired
last year

I’ve mentioned my ancient mother here several times. She is 105, and although I am certain she will outlive us all, odds are she won’t. I want to do some preplanning before the inevitable. Since all her friends and siblings are long gone, I do not plan on having much of a funeral. Perhaps a family gathering and graveside service. We had big parties for her 80th and 90th, so I have no guilt about that, and let’s face it, the dead don’t care.

She wants to have her body cremated and the ashes buried in a cemetery with her family in a very small town about 2.5 hours from here. The cemetery is owned by a funeral home in that town.

So, here’s my question. Do I need to talk to a nearby funeral home to make arrangements or should I deal directly with the funeral home in the small town? Who would arrange to pick up the body ( she is still in her own home with care), arrange the cremation and who gets the ashes? I’d want to pick out an urn or whatever in advance. She has a hospice nurse who would be available to ”pronounce” the death.

Would it be easier to deal with a local funeral home for death certificates and placing an obituary?

How does this work? Sorry if this is gruesome, but we all face it some day. Thanks.

Comments (47)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm