SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Egg shortage. Now $10 a dozen.

Today’s Los Angeles Times reports that there is a nationwide avian flu resulting in the destruction of millions of laying hens. Store shelves are empty, but $10-$12 a dozen is the price if you can find them.

Comments (128)

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I found a few sources that said that the percentage of egg-layers treated with antibiotics is low.

Maybe the number should be zero but for anyone concerned about this, chickens used to produce an organic egg product cannot be given antibiotics.

• lily316
    last year

Still had to pay $4.99 tonight, the same as last week.

• Related Discussions

Shortage of plants?

Q

Comments (14)
    I agree with Sue. IF there is a shortage of plants, I suspect it is because more people are planting food crops this year. It doesn't take an economist to figure out that high gas prices, floods where farmers live, and other natural disasters are going to mean higher food prices for us all this year. My heart breaks for the folks in the Mississippi Delta (the poorest counties in the country, I am told). Very many of them depend on their gardens to feed their families and they cannot expect the flood waters to recede until mid summer. Who knows when the ground will be dry enough to work? I am taking the best care of my garden I can this year in the hopes that I will have plenty to share. Our church is sending groups of workers to help every week.
    ...See More

What to do with a dozen extra lemons as well as limes

Q

Comments (14)
    A friend of mine made this pie recently and it was outstanding. Debbie Frozen Key Lime Pie Copyright, 2002 Barefoot Contessa Family Style Show: Barefoot Contessa Episode: Tex Mex This recipe is available for a limited time only. Why? 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (10 crackers) 1/4 cup sugar 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted For the filling: 6 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature 1/4 cup sugar 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk 2 tablespoons grated lime zest 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 to 5 limes) For the decoration: 1 cup (1/2 pint) cold heavy cream 1/4 cup sugar 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract Thin lime wedges Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl. Press into a 9-inch pyrex pie pan, making sure the sides and the bottom are an even thickness. Bake for 10 minutes until firm and golden. Allow to cool completely. For the filling, beat the egg yolks and sugar on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for 5 minutes, until thick. With the mixer on medium speed, add the condensed milk, lime zest, and lime juice. Pour into the baked pie shell and freeze. For the decoration, beat the heavy cream on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until firm. Spoon or pipe decoratively onto the pie and decorate with lime. Freeze for several hours or overnight. Note: If you have concerns about raw eggs, combine the yolks with 1/2 cup of the lime juice used in the recipe in a double boiler. Whisk constantly over medium heat until the mixture reaches 140 degrees. Use in place of the raw egg yolks, remembering to add the remaining 1/4 cup of lime juice to the filling mixture along with the condensed milk and zest. *RAW EGG WARNING Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.
    ...See More

1 gal.milk and 18 eggs, $10, 68.

Q

Comments (8)
    I rarely shopped at WM till one was built about a mile from our house. Now, we do most of our food shopping there, but even their prices have risen over the last year. A gallon of 1% milk is currently $3.29 and a dozen eggs about $1.80. (My figures may not be completely accurate, b/c like diluthinbloom, if it's not too out of my budget and I want it, I buy it. I feel truly blessed, b/c DH and I can't imagine being hungry. However, if we lived in CA, we might well be!
    ...See More

Good grief - flour shortage!

Q

Comments (134)
    Yes, you can make starter with grapes. Or whole grain. Or any number of things. Wild yeast is on them. It's all the same kind of yeast. The bread doesn't have to taste different if you use wild yeast (sourdough starter), unless you're trying for a yeasty taste. Commercial yeast is a different strain than wild. Regular bread will taste the same if you make it right. The real issue with using wild yeast is that the method is different and it takes a lot longer, and getting a good rise out of a new starter isn't guaranteed. All over the 'net, however, all kinds of people (especially young ones) are catching yeast and baking breads both sour and not from it.
    ...See More
  • nickel_kg
    last year

"Free Range" doesn't necessarily mean what the average consumer thinks it does (happy chickens pecking seeds and bugs in a field under open sky). Here's an article with more info (greenerchoices.org/free-range) and here's a quote from it:

A small, entirely enclosed area with a concrete floor, accessible to only a small percentage of the hens in the house, would meet the definition [of Free Range] without meeting the birds’ need to express natural behaviors.

My conclusion is that this industry, like others, will twist words in order to make a profit -- not a surprise to anyone. You can't rely on a label without researching what it really means.

• lucillle
    last year
    last modified: last year

From an article in today's NYT:

Emily Metz, president and chief executive of the American Egg Board, said in an interview on Wednesday that while bird flu has played a role, increasing costs of fuel, feed and packaging have also contributed to pricier and scarcer eggs.

“Is avian flu a factor? Yes,” Ms. Metz said. “Is it the only factor? No, and I would argue it’s not even the biggest factor in where these prices are right now.”

I did buy a box of 60 eggs at HEB about a week ago for $17.81.

• kevin9408
    last year

I usually buy boxes of 5 dozen but yesterday at Walmart they were $27 so I just bought a doz. for $5.54.

I do have about 80 dozen eggs stashed away for emergencies I freeze dried when eggs were cheap, but won't touch them unless there are NO eggs to be had. High prices are not considered an emergency, and either eggs or the strategic oil reserve it's not wise to use them up just because the price is up.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

picturing elmer's freezer jam packed with alcohol and ice cubes, maybe some books and socks... but not food. HA!

• lucillle
    last year

I heard, don't know if it is true, that some foods like fresh vegetable produce ie stringbeans are actually fresher when flash frozen than when sitting all day at a grocery store or farmer's market.

• Eileen
    last year

Avian flu in the PNW wiped out the lower-cost egg shelves overnight in the store where I shop. Those egg prices had only gone up about fifty cents earlier this year because of fuel and other costs. Local organic eggs and Eggland eggs were the only ones available because of the flu, and they are triple the price.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" picturing elmer's freezer jam packed with alcohol and ice cubes, maybe some books and socks... "

That's ridiculous!. Of course, there are no socks in the freezer. They go in the veggie drawer of the fridge.

What I said was that WE don't freeze food. We buy some frozen food items, not that much. We don't prepare foods ahead and freeze them for later use. As per lucille's comments, plain frozen veggies (not the kind with sauce) can be good and are certainly convenient. We also regularly buy several kinds of frozen seafood, types only available or best purchased that way because they come from afar.

Our freezer spaces like our food storages shelves are not full. We prefer fresh food and see no need to stock up on anything. We replace what we use, as we use it. I don't believe the remote likelihood of a zombie apocalypse or other major catastrophe requires such conduct and I don't understand those who do.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

I think I may still have some of the Ramen noodles that I stocked up on before Covid hit here. I also stocked up on beer and Crown Royal but that only lasted a few weeks before I had to brave the scary world to buy more.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

lucille, there has never been a time in my life that having food stored would have been needed or useful. Not once despite experiencing life after two major earthquakes with epicenters near to where I lived, the occasional damage from weather (as is going on now but not where I am), Covid, and whatever else,

There are lots of things in life best planned for but circumstances that may be not impossible but that are very, very unlikely to happen aren't on that list for me. Yes, everyone can make their own choice.

Edit to add - I have LDS friends, some of them quite wonderful people, others a bit strange. There are many tenets and practices of their church that many people find a bit bizarre and almost cult-like and I put their practice of storing food among them.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

FWIW, I, like many others who prefer home cooking and enjoy doing so, buy things when they're on sale or found at a good price, and freeze things like meats, vegetables & fruits for future use - it's a good way to save time and stretch one's food budget. I freeze cheeses as well. I used to shop a lot more frequently, but since the pandemic, I've come to appreciate not grocery shopping, since it's such a time suck.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Buying a quantity greater than what's to be used immediately because it's on sale, and doing so is a way to stretch a food budget, is a different topic of conversation. Having large stores of food for the purpose of having large stores of food is something different.

Flavor and quality are sacrificed with home-frozen foods, there's no controversy about that. Good quality commercially frozen products that are properly handled and flash frozen don't suffer the same fate.

Sometimes some people over-do the storage thing, in a way that can seem irrational. I think that's true of LDS folks. Personal choices. I'll stick to buying things fresh when intended for immediate use.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Shopping as a single person - and a single senior at that, with a limited appetite - it is almost impossible NOT to over buy certain goods simply because they do not package them in smaller or individual sizes. And because food waste has serious ecological ramifications, I am not inclined to throw stuff out just because I can't cook and eat it all before it goes bad. So the obvious alternative is to freeze the excess for another time. I don't have a huge freezer so there is not lots of product stashed away - a half loaf of bread, portion sized meats, leftovers like stew or soup, etc. And the usual suspects like frozen veggies and ice cream.

I disagree about flavor and quality being compromised with home frozen foods. If you wrap and store it carefully and don't wait months before using, I don't find any adverse effects at all!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

I wonder if my cows will mind if I just run out and slice a steak off of one of them when it's time for dinner.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

gardengal, your comment reminds me slightly (don't take the rest of this comment too directly, not intended as such) of the person who used to be active here as an advocate of extremely frugal food practices. Who seemed to look at human food like dog or cat food, as "feed" to supply calories and nutrients but otherwise eating as an otherwise joyless activity. One of many off the wall comments she made was that she bought powdered nonfat milk in 75 gallon barrels that lasted her a year. When mixed with cold water, she said, the taste was indistinguishable from fresh whole milk. Yeah, right.

This last part is what I thought of. If you think the taste and texture of home frozen meat is the same as fresh, then for you, it is. For me, it isn't.

It would be easier and more profitable for stores to sell frozen meat. Easier to handle and less spoilage. If the taste were comperable to fresh product and their customers thought so, that's what they'd do. Even Costco, a store that does everything to be profitable with low prices, sells fresh meat.

lonejack, very few people raise or want to raise their own meat to eat. You're a small exception to how most get meat to eat.

• functionthenlook
    last year

gardengal48. It's hard for 2 people also. There are some recipes you just can't cook in small serving. Thank goodness for freezers.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Elmer, you must not do much in-person grocery shopping :-) Every grocery store I know of - including Costco and Trader Joe's - sells frozen meat! Not all of it by any stretch of the imagination but burger patties, chicken parts, shellfish (prawns) and other types of meats and cuts are all readily available frozen. If it was that inferior to fresh that no one purchased it, they wouldn't sell it! It might not be to YOUR taste but to the rest of the grocery shopping world, it is fine!!

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Huh?

I frequently do grocery shopping and have for years.

As I said previously, some seafood that comes from a distance can be best if bought frozen. Including Alaskan salmon. As for frozen ground beef and other such packages - correct me if I'm wrong, these are often budget-priced products that come from factory-scale production facilities. Bought for price motivations, not quality ones. We don't buy that, or frozen chicken. If you want good ground beef, pick out a whole piece and ask the butcher to grind it for you. Then you really know what you're getting. Chicken we buy fresh, a local brand (Mary's) that's air cooled and not dunked in chlorinated water. Delicious flavor, superior to the mass-produced brands that can be considerably cheaper. I think you get what you pay for.

I worked for a large grocery chain as a teen, it's one of those things that gets under your fingernails. I enjoy going to stores. I try to visit them when abroad too. Good stores in other countries offer a window into local cultures. Just as two examples, we always visit the food halls at Harrod's in London and the equivalent at Galeries Lafayette in Paris when visiting either of these two cities. Less dramatic examples in other cities in other countries too.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Elmer, do you have any idea how snobbish many of your comments read to others? There is a very distinct aura of disapproval and/or dismissal and a tone of superiority conveyed in your remarks towards the food choices, methods of purchasing or storage and even ways of cooking of those who may hold opinions differing from yours. There is a degree of judgementalism that permeates much of what you post that is very off-putting.

TBH, I doubt you do, since it is almost omnipresent. And judging from the flak many of your comments seem to generate - and not just the food-related ones - I am not the only one to have this impression.

No need to respond. It is just an observation.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I'll respond only to observe that like most random groups, it's a heterogeneous crowd, different in more ways than not. If only common views and experiences are to be contributed, the resulting conversations would be pretty boring and of little interest to anyone.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Applauding gardengal!

Some people are pompous and haughty and have no perception of it. (The rest of us peons have no trouble spotting it, though.)

Assumably that’s how they were raised.

• beesneeds
    last year

Picked up eggs this week at the local market. 10.99 for 18 large eggs. I'm not making egg dishes for dinner much right now, but we are still using some eggs.

Someone mentioned earlier about using applesauce now instead of eggs in baking. I've been doing that for years, I kind of prefer it now. I have a few nice apple trees and can my own applesauce :) I also like to have a bag or two of powdered egg replacer in the house. One on the shelf and one in the freezer. It's nice for if I need a little egg wash and I can use a bit of powder instead of having to crack a fresh egg for it.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    last year

Will wonders never cease, our last remaining hen laid her first egg yesterday after a 10 month hiatus. We're on a roll, maybe she'll pump out a dozen before quitting again, nyuk.

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

thoughts on lucille's posting of NYT

a lot of little things add up to big things.... its never one factor, USA should be able one factor but when u have multiple factors, then yes, that commodity will be impacted.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

vgkg - that egg may already be hard boiled if it took your hen that long to make it!

• lucillle
    last year

Aquafaba-chick pea water: In my perusal of articles bout my newest fave stuff-hummus, I have read that people use the water in which chick peas are boiled as egg substitutes in various situations.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    last year

Jack, she's 8 years old and takes her time :-) I have read that a typical hen can lay 1,000 over her lifetime, I estimate that she has at least a couple of hundred to go....

• nickel_kg
    last year

I've had meringues made with chickpea water -- it really works!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

vgkg - We had a flock from 2012 to around 2018 or 19. None of them made it 8 years. I felt sorry for the last one standing because she was alone for about 6 months. A neighbor's dog put her out of her misery when she was out free ranging.

anybody want to buy a chicken coop?

• functionthenlook
    last year

beesneeds I've never though about using powdered eggs for egg wash. I'll have to get a bag.

• Patriciae
    last year

I bought eggs at Costco on yesterday and paid $6 and change for two dozen eggs. I should check old receipts to see what I was paying before.

As for the additional issue of freezing food. As amazing as it may seem everyone in America doesnt live close to grocery stores. Some of us have to travel distances that arent conducive to constantly going to the store. Time and cost issues are involved so I do keep a medium sized freezer where I commonly freeze things I buy. I know how to manage what I buy. Properly managed food isn't adversely affected.

• Judi
    last year

Interesting that pasture-raised and free-range eggs are often cheaper now than regular eggs. I've been paying the same $3.99/dozen for pasture-raised for at least the past six months; maybe longer.

"Some shoppers have noticed free-range eggs are priced lower than the usually less expensive ''regular eggs.'' Caldwell said that's because free-range eggs prices are set on a contract price. ''The 'regular' eggs are market-driven,'' he said. ''Free-range eggs are on a contracted price for a period of time. The growers of the free-range eggs are not getting the advantage of this uptick in price.'' At Shoppers Value, Caldwell said they've expanded their freerange display space and reduced display space for regular eggs."

• maifleur03
    last year

The BBC had an article that I read this morning that New Zealand is also facing an egg shortage. One of the ministers stated it was because of a shortage of hens although it sounded more like a shortage for them to live. According to the article a laying hen now costs NZD80 which depending on the exchange is $51 US. They are in the process of removing chickens from cages which would need a larger area for the hens. Nothing was said about what are commonly called "chicken tractors" which are large cages often on wheels that can be raised allowing the birds to move from area to area eating the plant and animals that end up inside of the cage.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Hasn't the avian flu been worldwide?

• ci_lantro
    last year

Not just distance which is very real, especially for those who live in smaller towns with limited shopping options, but also seasonal availability. And availability of superior product. I'll take frozen Georgia peaches and frozen Wisconsin strawberries over the 'fresh' grocery store product. Were it not for frozen okra, we would not be able to enjoy okra at all regardless of the season. Okra just isn't a thing in central Wisconsin. Rhubarb harvested from my own plants. Find me that in the grocery store in January. Being gluten intolerant and having limited options locally, I have gluten free flours in the freezer, mostly ordered in multiples from Amazon. And whole grain organic cornmeal along with fresh crop dried pinto beans--not the ugly brown ones in the grocery that were harvested perhaps years ago. Whole grain cornmeal is almost impossible to find in my grocery stores. Fresh crop pintos are hit & miss. I keep a couple of frozen half gallons of milk on hand just so I don't have to make a milk run when the temperature highs for the week are in the single digits. Along with a box of powdered milk for recipes that use it as an ingredient and as further milk insurance.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    last year

Update : Just in case anyone was wondering, our 8 year old lone hen eventually laid exactly 1 Dz eggs before retiring, again. They were nice sized at extra large but she did her job and is now going back into "pet mode", probably for another 8 months. It's time to get my free range egg guy on the phone for another 3 Dz., still holding @ $3/Dz

• Elizabeth
    last year

Due to our heavy snowfall amounts, I usually shop every 2 weeks for 8 months of the year. Good thing eggs have a long "use by" date. I freeze a great deal of things as we have been snowbound for days at a time. I paid 14.77 for 36 eggs a few days ago.

We are eating less of them for breakfast, not that the few extra cents would break us.

• Eileen
    last year

Vgkg, she must've known she was needed. What a sweetheart!

A store here in Oregon has been selling eggs from Chicago for $1.99 dozen because their local egg farm has been wiped out. They are medium but don't look much smaller than large eggs. Yesterday they dropped the price to $1.48 and I grabbed two dozen.

• Lars
    last year

Eggs were $5.75 a dozen last week, which I believe is the normal price here. I generally eat no more than one egg a day (in the morning), but if I make an omelet for my brother and me, I use three eggs and therefore eat 1½ eggs.

• chloebud
    last year

Close to what Lars posted at about $6 a dozen when I checked yesterday. They were selling a half dozen for $5. Crazy.

• functionthenlook
    last year

Yesterday a little under $4 dz.

• arkansas girl
    last year

Got a dozen at Walmart for $4.36 for jumbo, price down slightly from the last one we bought.

• lisa_fla
    last year

I bought 2 dozen Egglands Best large eggs at BJs for $7.99 yesterday.

• nicole___
    last year

Safeway can't get rid of eggs....so they put them on sale! $2.50 a dozen. Guess people just stopped eating them since they cost too much. 😁

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

My farmer friend's flock has gradually picked up the pace of laying recently with the days getting longer and mild winter allowing them to be outside more. The flock of about 70 hens went from laying less than 2 dozen a day in early January to around four dozen now.

I got a dozen from her last weekend and will get more this weekend. Still $2/dozen.

• bragu_DSM 5
    last year

still $4 to $5 per dozen ... and we have a million chicken egg farm just west of town ... the bird flu thing has caused millions of chickens to have to be destroyed ... so that's that many eggs a day short ...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I was watching a news article on TV about a month ago where it was being explained that someone having to euthanize a flock because the virus had shown up in some of the birds was not allowed by our state to bring in new to the same facility/property for 120 days. Same in all states? I don't know.

In this case it was ducks (yes, big market for the eggs as well as the meat). The family had been supported fully by the ducks, so that meant no income for the coming 4 months. They had taken all kinds of measures to try to keep wild birds out of their pastured flocks to potentially infect them but those had failed. Increased fencing, dogs, had some territorial geese, more.

I didn't need eggs today but looked when in Costco and they were $17.79 for a box of 5 doz. That didn't seem like an exorbitant cost to me. Limited to two boxes. When I really think about it, we don't use all that many eggs. We like eggs, I cook and bake with them, but we are not breakfast people so other than as an ingredient, just have them for egg salad or a breakfast-for-dinner meal every so often.

• salonva
    last year

Prices have been pretty variable. I see I posted at the beginning of the thread that prices near me were between $4 and $6. For a little while they came down a smidge, but now they are back there or even a tad higher. Yes perhaps buying in bulk at Costco or BJ 's would be cheaper but we also don't use eggs much. Mostly for baking which I rarely do, or ingredients; sometimes for breakfast. A dozen eggs can easily last several weeks for us. We use them like @morz8 - Washington Coast does.

I do know though that probably the majority of people use them a lot more and on an almost daily basis. It's still, even at the terribly inflated prices today, a relatively "cheap" protein source. A dozen eggs is still probably more than a day's worth of a meal for a family so even at $7, you certainly couldn't spend $7 on a steak and feed a family.