SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkeene016

When Are Interior Wall + Ceiling Cracks A Major Concern?

jkeene016
last year
last modified: last year

Hello. To preface, I have always lived in apartments before recently buying my first home, so I have no experience with house "things". The house I purchased 3 months ago is 2 stories, on a slab, with vinyl siding, and it's about 27 years old.

The home was freshly painted prior to move in (3 months ago) and since then, I have noticed newly appearing cracks on many interior walls and around the ceiling. I know that some of this is normal settling and aging due to the house being 27 years old, but I'm concerned about some of the cracks. I've read that vertical cracks are less worrisome than horizontal cracks, and now I'm very worried because I have a mixture of both. The stair skirting is breaking as well leading upstairs, but I've read this is normal wear and an easy fix.

Also of interest is the fact that some of the doors in the house stick. Specifically, the back patio door leading outside and an upstairs guest room door are not the easiest to open/close.

I am wondering if I should have a structural engineer come to look at these cracks and the doors to see if they are major concerns. Any insight that you kind, experienced homeowners might have would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: after move in we had the upstairs bathrooms fully demoed and remodeled. I know this caused a lot of shaking and movement in the house and I'm hoping maybe that's the cause for some of this.

Also, the house was inspected and most of these things have appeared since then. The inspector didn't think the sticking doors were an issue.

a concerning looking baseboard on the first floor:

Part of the downstairs built-in shelves that were painted 3 months ago-

Comments (4)