SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Floof! Rate your year!

amylou321
last year

On a scale of 1-10 rate how 2022 treated you and why!

Me, I give it a solid

7/10.

On the one hand, its been okay. I still have a good job and a happy home life with SO. No health problems, car problems, major house problems, etc. And that is satisfactory enough.

On the other hand, 2022 lost points because this year:

I lost 2 of my dogs, and it was devastating. One, was not a huge surprise. He was 10, which is pretty old for such a big dog. I noticed he was having a hard time getting around and the vet recommended aspirin for him, which helped for a few months. Then, I saw it. I lump. A hard lump forming on his backside. I knew then it was over. The other one, that was a shock and horrible. After Otis died, Buster stopped eating. I thought he was just sad, they were best friends. After a week, I took him to the vet because he had begun to lose weight. The vet, after blood work and an xray, said give him time and in the meantime gave him steroids. After another week, I took him to a different vet who, after more blood tests and an xray, also attributed his lethargy, refusal to eat and weight loss as grief and told me to give him people food in the meantime to entice him to eat. SO called me at work one night to tell me he was gone. It was a VERY hot day, so the dogs were inside. He went to let them out once the sun went down and it was cooler outside and Buster would not get up from his bed. HE was gone. He was only 6 years old and I am still upset that 2 vets and hundreds of dollars worth of tests could not help him. I do not in any way believe it was grief that took him so quickly. Something was wrong. I am still mad about it months later. I still have 3 dogs and George the cat, so I try to count my blessings. But GRRRRRRRRR.

I also lost people this year. My aunt underwent a Bone marrow transplant to combat her cancer, only for an unidentified infection that was allowed to become out of control to end her life. It was really sad, because she has been fighting tooth and nail against her cancer. It was heartbreaking to see her finally realize she had lost and accept it. And a coworker of mine took his own life, shocking EVERYONE that knew him. It hit me a lot harder than I would expect it to. Everyone was in tears when we heard the news. And if he took that step because of the reason his wife SAID he did, it was infuriating, because it was something that could have been overcome. So it was a miserable mix of grief and anger that took hold of me for longer than it should have. He was such a kind man, and always so much fun to work with when I had the opportunity.

My sister was diagnosed with cancer this year at age 39. And though her prognosis seems good, it is hard to watch her suffer from afar and not be able to do anything. It was traumatizing for her to have to shave her head, and I can relate to that. She told me it was more traumatizing than her mastectomy. And while she has a great attitude overall, her diagnosis at such an early age has doomed me to worry about her for the rest of our lives. I will NEVER believe that she is cancer free. And I will NEVER believe that her doctors are doing enough to keep her healthy. And I am angry that this has happened to her. Hopefully next year will see better health for her.

My father had a pretty scary health incident. He went from a perfectly healthy and active man to not being able to walk without help VERY quickly. He suffered with a sudden burst intestine and it was very lucky they were able to identify and fix it in time. His recovery had been slow and while I and my other sister have been doing what we can to help our mom, it is very much a drain on her, even with the professional help she is getting. My father is not abusive, but he is stubborn and demanding and is one of those men that thinks he knows better than everyone, including his doctors. I can see my mother having to talk herself out of whacking him one good time when he has one of his little fits, the saint.

Work has been fine. I got a decent raise and a nice bonus. I also got into a NASTY tiff with HR a few months ago, regarding some of THEIR practices that they refuse to admit fault in. And it is always a bad feeling when you realize you cannot win, even when you are 100 RIGHT. I am still salty about it. The snakes. Also, in my department we have had a bit of a shake up. One person quit, another announced his retirement, and therefore of course, 2 new people were hired, which can be stressful with all the overtime and new dynamics. One of the new hires is the wife of someone who works there in another department. She is really nice, quite funny, learned quickly, is well liked by the drivers and people in other departments we work with (and us), and generally fit in really well. She is lovely and everyone breathed a sigh of relief that FINALLY, everyone gets along!!!! She is a bit high strung and tends to get stressed over minor things, but that will improve with time I think. The other, is the son of someone else that works there. His mother has been there over 40 years. And he is, well, nothing like the first one I mentioned. BUT, my boss hired him and he is HIS problem now, as he refused to listen to all of our input regarding his horrible performance and nasty, arrogant and entitled attitude. And his habit of taking meetings and conference calls for his other job (life insurance salesman) instead of paying attention when we are trying to train him. And his need to go visit his mommy in her office everyday for an hour or more. We do not GET lunch breaks or any other set break times. We have to be in or at least around or office at all times in case a truck comes in or someone calls needing help. I have NO idea why he is allowed to carry on like that. But, like I said, not my problem and while I am stressed about it because I want everyone to get along and work together well, i accept that it is out of my hands and will mind my own business. It is unfortunate for him that he will be turned loose on his own next week, when the other night minion officially retires. He still, after 2 months of us trying to train him, does not know basic things because he is more worried about looking at his phone and selling life insurance than he was trying to learn his new duties there. Lucky for him though, the first new hire I mentioned requested to be moved to night shift, so he will be on days and will have my boss to help him some of the time. I can only hope that everything works out, no matter what that looks like.

All that being whined about, I am determined to count my blessings and acknowledge my overall happiness and good quality of life. And I am determined to face next year with optimism that ALL will get better. Bring it on 2023. I. Am. Ready.

Comments (31)