SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

What do you think of oak slab doors?

Danielle Gottwig
last year
last modified: last year

I am considering very dark wood cabinets, paired with white counters and backsplash. Perhaps an espresso finish - something moving toward black, while still feeling warm.

Espresso finish seems to be paired very often with cherry, and I really like the color, especially paired to white:

KraftMaid: Quartersawn Cherry Cabinetry in Peppercorn · More Info

That said, sometimes I think I'd like something with more grain / texture, like this darker walnut kitchen:

Woodlawn Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Or this:

So, I'm crawling through pictures and checking out samples.

I received these sampe doors from Kraftmaid today. I'm wondering what you think of these, since I can't find many photos that are helping me to picture these in real kitchens.

Maple in Kraftmaid's "Peppercorn" stain:

Oak in Kraftmaid's "Peppercorn" stain:

I'm still trying to decide what I think of the maple. I kind of like the color variation, but am having a hard time picturing how that looks over a large area.

The oak surprised me; I think like how much texture the grain adds. Can plain sawn oak escape the 1980s in a new stain? Can it fit with the current trend toward interesting wood on slab doors? Ikea has a fake oak door (Sinarp) that is meant to be contempary.

Or does it scream "This is my vacation cabin the mountains"? (I want a vacation cabin in the mountains, but alas I do not have one...)

Comments (83)