SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Share your holiday arts and crafts?

Sueb20
last year

We have seen Jinx’s lovely beaded ornaments…anyone else?

I tried a few new things this past month. I took two wreath making classes, with very different results.

They both look slightly insane. The first one is so big, I couldn’t hang it on a door so I took down a painting and hung it on the dining room wall.

This one is unusual but I like it. It has all sorts of dried stuff.

I also did several varieties of Stick-A-TJ-Amaryllis-Bulb-In-A-Bowl…here is one.

Also tried my hand at the oyster shell ornaments, using what I had. I found that using napkins or tissue was the only way to go with the uneven surface. Obv I didn’t happen to have any ocean themed paper. The dog one is from a cocktail napkin; the florals are from printed tissue that came in a gift long ago that I saved; and the weird blue one is a randomly painted tissue paper. I only like the b&w floral ones. I painted the backs with either gold or copper paint, except for the blue one, which I painted with frosty blue nail polish.

Show us what you’ve made recently?

Oh, I also did my first needlepoint kit and now I am obsessed…ordered two more kits last night.

Comments (59)

• fnmroberts
    last year

Some years back I made one of these ornaments for each of DH’s employees. They were part of their invitation to our in-home holiday party. Almost everyone has kept theirs and he hears from many when they decorate each season.

Sueb20 thanked fnmroberts
  • nicole___
    last year

Ida...I didn't see the hats....OMG! Those are G O R G E O U S ! Choice! Over-the-top! Very clever give away....

• Related Discussions

San Diego Arts and Crafts fairs

Q

Comments (1)
    ttb
    ...See More

San Diego Arts and Crafts Fair December 10th

Q

Comments (0)
    The holidays are upon us and that means the search is on for unique gifts to give this holiday season. Come join us for the So Cal Arts and Crafts Expo and sell your unique handmade work to eager holiday buyers. Our shows are one of a kind and you will not want to miss this great opportunity to showcase and sell your arts and crafts. Our shows are hassle free and convenient! All you have to do is apply and once accepted arrive at the show and sell your items. No hassling with tent set up or hauling tables or chairs we provide everything for you. The Scottish Rite Center is located across from the Mission Valley Mall with convenient access to all major freeways. Space is limited so don't delay! Apply today by visiting the Exhibitor Info Page of our website www.SoCalArtsandCrafts.com!
    ...See More

San Diego Arts and Crafts Fair Sunday December 10th

Q

Comments (1)
    SIL unable to find this one
    ...See More

Holiday crafting

Q

Comments (34)
    it's lap rugs for me this year- some of them are real simple- made my parents matching ones out of blue fleece with a blue and white fringed border some of them aren't- I just really got started on a run of crazy-quilt pieces decidated to useing up the four or five garbage bags full of wool and upholstry-weight fabric in my attic (the boss cleans house seasonally, and has gotten into the habit of bagging her scraps, rather than throwing them away :) other than that- I'm giving away a load of pottery that I got for helping a potter friend empty out her mom's house and put the estate sale together. she's since given me things that fit the decor of OUR house better, so I'm giving away everything else :) and DH wants to bake cookies for all the people in his office...though it's hard enough to get him to reheat the gumbo for dinner, so we'll see about that ;)
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sue, Is it like your first needlepoint kit ever? I am thinking of trying it but I have never done it before so need something eassssy.

I love everything you have done. I would like to order one wreath (the dried one is my fave), three of the bulb bowls, and an assorted half dozen of those gorgeous oyster shell ornaments! Well done. Totally copying all this next year. When the kids were little we used to do a craft each year; time to restart that tradition. Maybe at ThxG.

I was going to ask if it's hard to get the hole in the oyster shell for hanging? Something made me Google it, thank goodness. I get a pass -- allergic to shellfish.

I do a wreath making class with friends every year. They provide wire forms, greenery and stuff. They had "my" ribbon there, yay. And dried orange slices which I really liked using. Mine is a little bit ... ovalish.

My pavlova wreath is in the oven, fingers crossed on that one.

Does charcuterie-board making count as a craft? One of my DD visited a friend from middle school and stayed with her at her college apt (adorable historic cottage, really) over ThxG. She wanted to get her a thank you gift. DD said all they do is have dinner parties. The friend is at St Andrews (cutesy posh town on the Scotland coast) and rather than dorms most everyone stays in this adorable town in adorable homes (hers had a conservatory!). Anyway, DD wanted to get her a charcuterie-board to enjoy here at home (she is back in CT) but also things to take back to her home after break. The board is light and slim and the bow has these cute spoons tied in it (see below). Easy to slip in luggage. We got her local honey, Cherry chai jam, apricots, crackers, soppressata, crackers, 4 kinds of cheeses, and goat milk caramels. DH said ... "mess it up a bit, it looks like you bought it like that."

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

ida, gorgeous! Talk about the spirit of Christmas. 😇

• hhireno
    last year

My pavlova wreath is in the oven

I first read that has my previous wreath and thought wow, she does not mess around when she disposes of her old crafts. 😆

Ida, what you wrote made by Grinchy heart 💚 grow 3 sizes today. ❤️❤️❤️ Peace be with you and your students.

The closest I’ve been to a craft is when my friends (3 artsy gardeners) came to my house to take fresh cuttings to create a wreath and 2 boxes of greens to place on the local Tomb of the Unknown (Continental) Soldier. One asked is it ok if I take some clippings from the yew? Sure, IDK what a yew is but help yourself. 😆 I made lunch, they made beautiful greenery displays.

Sueb20 thanked hhireno
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

mtn, our wreaths could be cousins! I found it hard to tell (obvs) whether mine was round/symmetrical when it was lying on the table.

Yes, very first needlepoint and SO basic and easy.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

PS these are the new ones I ordered. The tulip is an ”easy” kit. Then I’ll try the beachy one (it’s only 4x8” or something and very detailed so may make me tear my hair out, we’ll see).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Love all the arts and crafts, and especially having the students spend the bucks for the hats...great idea!

I already shared my only craft this year, a gnome for a friend..

And I had fun doing the table setting thought it's not as I'd originally planned...

Doesn't matter now anyway as no one is coming as I have a sore throat. We'll try to zoom instead...and here I am with all this food!

Sueb20 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Love everyone's crafts! All beautifully done. I'd love to have time to explore, right now I don't. Took a knitting class which I loved (two friends are expert knitters) and made a hat, started the matching mittens. It's so therapeutic to knit! As a former art student, I love seeing all these projects and it makes me so want to start a one of my own!

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • LynnNM
    last year

What a happy way to start this Christmas Eve Day🎄 Thank you, Sue!

Most of you have already seen my ceramic Christmas Village that I made and painted. I also made the large, framed crewelwork piece above it.

And, this Christmas elf crewel piece.

I made this centerpiece for our coffee table. It looks so Christmas-y when I light its candle in the evenings.

Here’s something else I made using part of my ceramic bird collection, 3 fish bowls, battery operated candles w remotes, etc.

Sueb20 thanked LynnNM
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I cleaned and baked and set the table!

Sueb20 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • LynnNM
    last year

I’ve also created another Christmas table centerpiece using the 3 fish bowls:

Sueb20 thanked LynnNM
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Feel better, Annie. Sueb, if you have chance, send a link to where you got those?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

. I'm doing watercolor bridal bouquets and here's a recent part of one.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

It's extremely difficult for me to give the like button on my phone but I love what everyone is doing so much and I will try to thumb up when I'm on my laptop later. I love seeing everyone being creative and crafty.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I confess I didn’t make these button trees or the Santa, but I did have the good fortune to “source” them about 25 years ago at a Holiday crafts fair in Carmel, and they are still my favorites.

Sueb20 thanked chinacatpeekin
  • ilikefriday
    last year

@Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Wow. I know it takes a ton of talent to do watercolor. That is magnificent.

Sueb20 thanked ilikefriday
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

Sueb20 thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

Above are the pot holder puppets I made for my almost 2 year old grand son. He knows where the pot holders are and pulls them out when I am with him at either of our houses. We have to chase each other, going Arghhhhh, and acting like you are biting/attacking the other person. He will think these are so much fun. Can't decide if I should wrap them or just put them in the drawer so he will reach in and grab it.

My DH said I was a little bit extra, I did stop short of cutting out teeth and placing them around the edge of the mouth.

Am I the only one that can't type on my phone in GW?

• DawnInCal
    last year

You all are so creative! And, Sure, I love, love, love your oyster shells!

I made this little Santa sleigh out of copper wire for a challenge on a jewelry forum I belong to. I didn't have the time, but I'd like to add a little Santa and some reindeer pulling the sleigh. Apologies for the photo quality.

Last year, I made wire snowflakes:

I posted this on the Christmas Tree thread; I'd like to try making them next year. I love the dehydrated citrus fruit.

Sueb20 thanked DawnInCal
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

No, typing in HOuzz on the iphone is awful, The only thing worse is voice dictation! Try it.

Pavlova wreath coming along. I should have used bigger dollops of meringue but cest la vie. The divots will be filled with a mixture of greek yogurt , sugar and heavy cream. Then fresh red fruits and mint leaves. I sugared some of them to mix in with the plain ones...

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

A couple years ago I bought cardboard cones in different sizes, variegated yarn and different colors of green felt to make these easy trees. This year, being in a new house with a new mantel, I found a way to incorporate my Räuchermänner.

Sueb20 thanked Jen K (7b, 8a)
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I may have posted this before. Not my work but my SILs, may she RIP. A counted cross-stitch angel I hang above our fireplace for the season....and a close up to show just how fine the stitching is...she had the most incredible patience.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

wow, Annie

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

mtnrd, your pavlova looks and sounds really wow too!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

That's beautiful, Annie. What a wonderful way to remember her.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

A couple of years ago I made the beaded stars to give away too...a very quick, easy and satisfying craft. I always love it when the outcome looks much harder than the effort that went into it...so often, it's the reverse.

• czarinalex
    last year

I'm so enjoying seeing everyone's crafts. So talented!

@chinacatpeekin I love that pottery vase! Is it Grueby?

Sueb20 thanked czarinalex
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

New placemats from Santa. Centerpiice inspired by Ruby Claire, Spode plates Jojo's fault.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Beautiful work, everyone!

Mtn: https://needlepoint.com

I went to the actual store in Charleston last spring.

• maddielee
    last year

I made nothing cute this year. Past needlework that only comes out at Christmas.

The first of the seven needlepoint stockings was made in 1972. The last one (granddaughter’s) in 2004. A stocking for our 2 children, their spouses, and one for each of the 3 grandchildren.

Merry Christmas!🎄🎄🎄🎄

Sueb20 thanked maddielee
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Dawn, that wire work is amazing. I’ve never seen anything like it.

• teeda
    last year

I had such big plans for arts/crafts this year, but life kept getting in the way. I did manage to put some greenery together in a vintage metal cooler, so at least I finished something!

Sueb20 thanked teeda
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Maddie those are amazing! heirlooms

Pavlova wreath with greek yogurt and fresh and sugared berries. loved it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Beautiful!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Mtn — I ordered the oyster shells from etsy! All cleaned and holes drilled!

• badgergal
    last year

Forty five years ago I embarked on my very first needlepoint project and made this stocking for my first born child

It still hangs on my fireplace because he passed away 18 years ago.

Over the years, I have made more than a dozen other stockings for other family members and friends.

It is hard to find nice needle point kits these days. The size of the stockings have gotten smaller over the years and the yarn is now like thread.

I wish I knew how many hours of my life I spent making all of them. Most of them were made while I was working full time and raising my family.

Here are some of the other stocking I made.

Sueb20 thanked badgergal
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

The oven mitt puppets were well received and we had a rousing chase around the island. The multi colored hair one has taken up residence at my house.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Very impressed by all the talent!

My holiday crafts are pretty much all children's stuff, since that's my job. I get a kick out of making keepsake ornaments and all the other fun stuff with the kids this time of year.

Some things from past holidays:

P.S. For years, I crafted my own cards to send to family and friends, but I haven't in a long time now.

Sueb20 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

The talent displayed here is incredible !

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Funkyart
    last year

what wonderful creations!

I didn't make a darn thing this year - but I did support those much more talented than I am by buying handmade crafts and some art.

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • Jilly
    last year

Hugs, Badgergal ❤️

• Olychick
    last year

Badgergal, those stockings are gorgeous. I'm so sorry about your son, but how nice to hang his beautiful stocking in remembrance.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Sueb20 thanked arcy_gw
  • arcy_gw
    last year

The stockings look soo much like ours!! My MIL made each of my kids a stocking as well as me. Mine is the felt snowman pieced together my kids all have the needle point ones. MEMORIES!!

• Springroz
    last year

Everyone's creations are gorgeous!! I made this...then he blew off his sled in the storn, and now, needs some repair. Those snowflakes are fragile...

Sueb20 thanked Springroz
  • gsciencechick
    last year

I am not crafty at all, so I appreciate all your work. With November and December and end of the semester and finals, there is no way to do anything. I barely get the Christmas cards and decorations up.

Arcy, I like that one arrangment in the milk can.

• lascatx
    last year

The only things I made this year left the house without pictures (I am really bad about that) -- oversized linen throws with heirloom stitching details. I grew up with a mother and grandmother who were always doing some kind of needleworking or crafting, so it's always nice to see what others are doing. I am a dabbler, doing a little of a lot of things and not a lot of any. I've done needlepoint, cross stitch, crochet, needlepoint, pottery and ceramics (considered buying a kiln), mosaics, sewing, bag making, and quilting projects.

• DawnInCal
    last year

Thank you for the kind words, SueB! You'd be amazed the things people do with wire. If you are interested in seeing more, google "wire weave jewelry" or "wire wrapped jewelry" - there is some incredible talent out there and they humble me daily with their skills. :)

Sueb20 thanked DawnInCal
  • Oakley
    last year

Maddie, I have the same needlework ornaments as you except mine have the boy's names on them. A friend made it for me in the 80's. They also come out once a year.

I didn't make anything but my DGD invited all the girls from her 6th grade class over to make cookies and pillows.

This is one of the gifts I received. :) No sewing necessary.

Sueb20 thanked Oakley