SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_donodeo

Final Coat Bona HD Traffic Satin Made Floors a Bit Too Glossy

John
last year
last modified: last year

So I did a complete kitchen gut this year, and overall, it came out amazing. I originally had the GC from hell, got rid of him, and it really came out great. But...there were some issues from him that we had to deal with, and for the most part, we did.

As far as the floors, I had told the original GC, do 2 coats Bona HD Traffic Satin first, then finish kitchen, and then final coat at the end to make it all nice and new. He did 2 or 3 coats (I'm not sure), and then proceeded to work on the kitchen until I fired him (for a multitude of reasons).

So, another guy (who is incredible and I'm having do my basement next year) finishes the kitchen, but then he is so busy/in-demand that he couldn't do the floors. I understood, but it was fine, because I had another floor guy who did the floors in the rest of my house, so I just brought him back. Unfortunately, he brought a newbie, and the newbie botched what was supposed to be the final coat. They didn't charge me for that, and came back to fix it, which they did - but now the floors look more semi-gloss because I have either 4 or 5 coats now. Ridiculous, I know.

Sanding the floors and starting all over is absolutely not an option at this point. I am hoping that they will eventually dull over time to a more satin finish, and the 2 coats (botched one, and final one that fixed the other issues) just happened this week, so I'm going to give it time. But I am wondering if, maybe doing one more good buff/light sanding, and then doing a matte coat might get me to where I wanna be? I just worry, at that point, I'll be at 5 or 6 coats, which I know is crazy.

In the pics, the one at night with the lights on is one from this week right after final coat. For the two daytime pics, the ones with the Christmas decorations in the background is after final coat, and the other (last pic) is before these last two coats. Daytime with no lights isn't as bad.

I will likely just suck it up and live with hit. It's only really noticeable when the high hats are on, but I rarely use them, as the under-cab lights are all I need at night. Here are some pics. Curious to hear thoughts. Thanks!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!