SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Anyone make orange olive oil cake? Tips?

I want to make an orange olive oil cake for Hanukkah. Not traditional but I'm not that much into frying so it seems like a nice enough tradition to start. Has to be orange, not lemon since hubs does not like lemon. I see a lot of recipes online, and the olive oil amounts range from 1 1/4 cup to 1/3, all for a 9 inch cake pan. I'm thinking something kind of in the middle . . . also varying degrees of orange flavoring components. I'm thinking orange juice not that critical but orange zest probably good. I've got oranges, I'm thinking maybe zest two, juice one for the cake and then use the pulp for another one to make orange cranberry sauce to put over the cake. I also have orange extract, wondering whether to add a little of that . . .

Anyone have any tips to share? Particularly about the amount of oil. I'm not a fan of oily cakes like can happen with carrot cake, but not sure where the line is between oily and sublime . . .

I'm making a 9 inch round cake, and plan on serving it either with a dollop of whipped cream or frozen yogurt, drizzled with orange cranberry sauce . . .

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH