SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Theme: Eat the freezer!

petalique
last year
last modified: last year

I am trying to make space in my freezer/s by cooking and using the contents. It’s a small chest freezer that is so full, it’s difficult to keep organized. I might have to obtain a bunch of federal permits to excavate it.

Is anyone else mining their freezer so they can not only defrost and clean it,but avoid paying high grocery prices for seafood, steak, chicken, vegetables and whatever they already have that’s frozen?

This week I have eaten vefetables, chicken,squid and shrimp.

Today’s challenge centers around a 1.8 Lb cut of pork loin, boneless.

I can cut off sections to use for two Chinese dishes — 1) Baby bok choy with pork and 2) stir fry green beans with pork. Or, I guess I could just 3) oven or pan roast it.

I am open to ideas from the forum. Any suggestions?

On hand we have lots of things to cook with it: potatoes, rices, squash, mushrooms, bok choy, green beans, noodles, rice, chinese cabbage, carrots, onions….

I’d love to hear your thoughts. It;s Thursday again, We will be getting 10 to 12” of snow on the weekend. The woodstove is going, the birds are enjoying the feeders.

My heart is with those in Louisiana and other states hit by those awful tornadoes.

Comments (36)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

WE are finally heading home, so the Austin freezer needs some work. My husband bought two useless ducks from Costco a while back. They are bony and pathetic looking. There are six of us in Austin right now, so I have zero desire to deal with two ducks which will amount to snacks.

Other than that I just keep lots of frozen shrimp on hand, and frozen prepared gnocchi from WFM which my eldest likes when he is here.

All this talk of ducks makes me want to order some nice meaty duck legs. I think my frozen snack ducks may be turned into soup, perhaps.

petalique thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • petalique
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, Zalco. The duck sound perfect for soup after you roast them. Maybe you fella wants to try roasting them first? I love duck and one of the things in our freezer is duck broth. I often use it for ramen soups with vegetables and shrimp.

• Related Discussions

NEW: 2014 theme garden swap

Q

Comments (113)
    My seeds came yesterday, but I have not had time to look at them. I'll post later with the high points. Thanks MIchelle, for another successful swap. Finally had a chance to open my envelope. Everyone sent great seeds and I will be sowing a lot of them this season. The most creative referenced the poultry and egg garden, including several plumes, Turkey Craw pole beans, a couple of feathers and one Cranesbill, not to mention a couple of foxes in the hen house (Foxgloves). I am always surprised and delighted by some of the associations people make in this swap. Other themes got nice seeds too and poor Miss Lottie could not help but be encouraged by all the different kinds of Marigold. Thanks again! Alana This post was edited by poisondartfrog on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 19:09
    ...See More

Do You Live to Eat or Eat to Live???????

Q

Comments (70)
    Cupcake Shows. . . I LOVE that term, and had never heard it before, but it fits so perfectly, although I had heard about a show called something like: "Cupcake Wars", or something like that. Contestants try to outdo each other, making the best cupcakes. I don't care much for Barefoot Contessa, or Pioneer Woman, but Paula just sends shivers up my spine. I don't know what it is about her. I love her hair and her eyes. She is just so 'secksy', (to 'this old man'). But she makes me want to puke with her CONSTANT "ya'lls". I mean 'every other word'!!!! Does anyone think that maybe she is told to do that? Anywhooo, if I had a portrait of Paula Dean, it would be up on my bedroom wall, (pant, pant). Forgive me for getting off topic. And now . . . back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    ...See More

Top freezer or bottom freezer?

Q

Comments (48)
    Wow, they look so much better filled with food! Mine would never look like that - I would open up that big clunky freezer drawer and it would be - EMPTY!!! (Probably everything I store in the freezer would fit in the two auxiliary drawers inside.) Which is why I ended up going for the Frigidaire top freezer after all. I was in PC Richard this afternoon placing my appliance order (great sale this weekend!). The salesman had already written up the GE Profile bottom freezer model, but while he went off to talk to the manager for a minute, I checked out the refrigerators again. That drawer is so massive. I have so little frozen food. Plus the GE Profile was *literally* twice the price of the Frigidaire. I've had a top freezer all my life, I'm comfortable with it, I wouldn't know what I was missing by not having a bottom freezer. And what if I ended up *hating* the bottom freezer?? After spending $1400 on a refrigerator!! I switched the order to the top freezer. And got to feel virtuous that *something* in this renovation actually came out on budget. :-) Thanks, everyone, for your comments!! They were absolutely helpful. I'm just a wimp. :-)
    ...See More

Cleaned/defrosted the freezer today!

Q

Comments (7)
    So jealous! Are the cherries sweet or sour? I simply eat bowls of cut up fresh fruit every day for breakfast, and I always have fruit w/ lunch and dinner and snacks as well. I also use my dehydrator for sweet snacks that are, IMO, better than candy. I do make fruit desserts - mainly fruit crisps and pudding cake - that are not very sugary. And then there's sorbets and frozen pops. What about juice or nectars?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    User
    last year

Yum! I'd throw it in the smoker then chop up the meat for sandwiches!

petalique thanked User
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Petalique, Thank goodness you chimed in about roasting them first. I probably would not have thought of that- like never. And it makes perfect sense. Thank you!

mine2x, the smoked idea sounds great too.

petalique thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Jasdip
    last year

My freezer is full too!

I use roasts like that in my slow-cooker. I make a sauce using soy sauce, molasses, cider vinegar, garlic powder, some water. Cook 6-7 hours. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch at the end. I use some of the leftovers shredded and simmered in some the of sauce, mixed with some bbq sauce for pulled pork sandwiches.

petalique thanked Jasdip
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

I don't have the problem of losing food in my freezers but then I have two. One is 15 cu/ft chest freezer that has the beef and pork from the last ones we had processed. All of the meat is organized in storage boxes that fit perfectly in the freezer stacked 3 high and wide and the lids of the boxes have the contents written on it (burger, steaks, roasts, sausage/bacon, chops, etc).

Everything else fits easily in the upright freezer. At the bottom I have one box of about 3 dozen quart bags of frozen corn from my brother's garden and another box with various other frozen veggies from my garden. Chicken has a shelf it shares with seafood. Another shelf for packaged things like pizza, lasagna, perogies etc. The rest of the stuff goes on the third shelf or on the door.

petalique thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I make a boneless pork loin roast for xmas every year using this recipe. It's in the crockpot so the ovens are free for all the other casseroles. No complaints from the family so far: https://farmbellrecipes.com/cranberry-pork-roast/

petalique thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • faftris
    last year

And I thought it was just my freezer! I am full up. I went a little crazy when my favorite frozen yogurt pops were on sale, and a little crazier making soup when the weather turned cold. We did a ravioli run into my favorite NYC pasta store and came home with a dozen boxes. (Have to make the tolls worthwhile). There are certain dinners that almost beg me to make an extra batch, and I haven't even gotten to "Pie Crust Day" when I make a few and stick them in. And let's not even discuss the cranberries and rhubarb in there. I am really a nut!

petalique thanked faftris
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

Faftris - I hear you on the cranberries and rhubarb! We have a large freezer drawer in the bottom of our refrigerator and a medium sized chest freezer in our basement. Even though there are only the two of us, we batch cook soups and stock and also freeze leftovers for a later meal. DH fishes and we vacuum seal striped bass and smoked bluefish to eat off-season. We also take advantage of sales. Yesterday a small market I went to for a quick salad for lunch had vacuum-sealed fresh turkey parts on sale and I bought 2 large turkey leg/thigh pieces for about $5. We found pork loin roasts today at our large grocery store for about $4 each.

It is hard to keep track of what we have. I found this template and we keep a freezer inventory using it, marking off food as we use it - I categorize food by groups on different pages...

petalique thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • petalique
    Original Author
    last year

Lonejack, I am envious. The key word seems to be “organized.” And I’m learning that it requires space (bigger freezer) to be able to organize. our chest freezer is small. I regret not getting a more ample freezer. DH is no longer organized, neat or motivated. I have some medical issues that get in my way.

I met a woman who, like you, explained how her large freezer (for only two seniors) was very organized. i like the description of your freezer layout. I am by nature someone who likes ro cooperate, strive for consensus. But I may just have to make some unilateral decisions since I am the only person I can count on to clean. My DH doesn’t listen well or remember. This house and yard are too much for us these days. I want to downsize and move. DH mumbles ” uh huh.”

mine2x and jasdip — good suggestions, but hours involved and it’s already past 5 pm. I won’t have time today, maybe tomorrow.

• faftris
    last year

seagrass--I think we may be related. We are two as well, but apparently, I am still cooking for four! I love a good bowl of soup for dinner and Campbell's is not part of the vocabulary. And, if you are cooking, you might as well cook. I am going to make an inventory list. Mine is an upright freezer, so I don't have to dig, but it makes perfect sense. Thank you.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

My freezer got emptied out when we evacuated for Ian, but it's slowly filling back up. I also like to have things on hand and take advantage of seasonal things like cranberries (which seemingly keep forever) too.

I'm trying not to let it get as crazy as it was before the hurricane, but time will tell.

I used to make a pork loin roast with fresh garlic, rosemary and white wine - very simple and tasty, and you can use the leftovers for other dishes.

petalique thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • nekotish
    last year

I have been trying to pare down our freezer contents too. I'm not having a lot of luck because I do things like take out beef and sausage and frozen roasted tomatoes and make a big pot of spaghetti sauce and then, yup, put all the extra in the freezer! I just can't see making spaghetti sauce for 2 or 3 when it only takes a couple of minutes to make 10 times that much!

petalique thanked nekotish
  • HU-929826674
    last year

I adore my freezer! It is packed in the fall with marinara sauces, green vegetables from the garden, chicken or beef or pork broths, soups, and the top shelf is full of homemade breads and rolls. By March, I'll have less in the freezer and I'll be looking forward to filling it up again with garden produce.

nekotish, like you, I can't see making a small amount of something when you can have a pot of it made to put in the freezer. That's why we have so many containers of chicken vegetable soup and chili!

petalique thanked HU-929826674
  • CA Kate z9
    last year

I was digging in the freezer looking for something and found a huge ice thingy growing in the back. I guess I will need to take everything out and put the heater next to it and thaw out the huge hunk to see what is in there - maybe a jar.

Obviously the defrosted water is no longer draining down the channel like it's suppose to and emptying into an evaporation pan.

I guess doing this will also give me an idea of what's all in there. I know I will find too many bags of cranberries bought last year. What else may be a surprise.

petalique thanked CA Kate z9
  • nicole___
    last year

The pork would make great green chile. Then smother nachos with it. Or....put BBQ sauce on it.

petalique thanked nicole___
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I had to thaw 3 bags of cranberries and made a big pot of cranberry sauce with them - and then froze it 😃

I did use half for Thanksgiving 😇

petalique thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Marigold
    last year

I asked for a freeze dryer for my (early) Christmas present this year. I am tired of the food waste from both my fridge and freezer.

So far I am really impressed with eggs and milks. Canned vegetables (I had some past their 'best before' date) were disgusting. They were either waterlogged, or like eating jerky.

Meat, so far has been amazing. I froze a leftover hamburger patty, rehydrated, and it truly tasted the same. The difference is they can keep for 30 years!

I am anxious to try fresh produce- that is really why I wanted it- to be able to buy local produce in season and freeze dry it. I will be sad if it turns out like the canned beans. Fingers crossed!

petalique thanked Marigold
  • nancyjane_gardener
    last year

Time to defrost and get rid of some stuff! There are some things from my daughter's wedding I think 3 years ago, that we haven't touched! Some pate, cheeses, salami....then there are tomato sauces that were too thin! I'll find a homeless encampment that might enjoy it! Nothing wrong with it, just frozen for awhile!

petalique thanked nancyjane_gardener
  • colleenoz
    last year

@CA Kate z9, try using a hairdryer on the ice thingy :-)

petalique thanked colleenoz
  • CA Kate z9
    last year

I’ll need to use a hair dryer just to get the baskets out, and unattach a few jars. What a mess!

• petalique
    Original Author
    last year

Nicole, green chili sounds good. I will have to look up what it is.

carol, nekotesh and 674, I agree about making a batch of something and freezing extra. In for a penny, in for a pound. I often take out a chicken, cook it, then the freezer fills back up with the chicken broth I make with the bones ;-)

And we love making large pots of marinara sauce with delicious meatballs so that we freeze quarts of it. I also love cranberries.

Kate, I hope you can get the frozen blob figured out. Maybe you can keep the frozens in a cooler with blocks of ice. I often have to put two gallons jugs (filled) on top of my freezer to keep the lid sealed tight.

Someone up thread (can’t find the post now) suggested roasting the pork. I forgot about that. When I have a large piece of loin, I roast it with garlic slices embedded into it — like nails. Its great sliced thin for half sandwiches.

In winter is New England, its a great time to put on gloves and defrost the freezer. Just put the contents into a cooler in the cold garage.

I wonder how those Apple tracker IDs would work — helping me locate a duck or rib roast.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

Ooo. Duck broth. I love that. It's my favorite couscous. Orange zest, and juice, along with duck broth. Good stuff!

petalique thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • bbstx
    last year

Zalco, how about duck gumbo? I don’t have a recipe. It’s been ages since I made it, but there are many online. I’d choose one from Emeril or from a site with Louisiana connections.

Petal, pork ragu! https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pork-rib-ragu-with-polenta.html This is the recipe I use over and over. Love it.

petalique thanked bbstx
  • petalique
    Original Author
    last year

rob333, really? did you come up with that? Or perhaps the juice from duck d’orange? And you cook couscous with it? sounds good.

• KatieC
    last year

We're trying to make room for the next side of beef, so we've been playing chopped challenge a lot. I just pulled a very similar piece of pork loin out of the depths of one of my freezers. I made a big pot of of pozole, which also used an aging jar of tomatillos. Sort of defeated the purpose, though....the leftovers are going into the freezer, lol.

petalique thanked KatieC
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" I don't have the problem of losing food in my freezers "

I don't either - we don't tend to use them much and in two locations, both are half full. Eating the freezer would be a good start to a diet.

petalique thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

I modified this recipe from Cooking Light (the crunchy shrimp recipe is also good).

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/crunchy-shrimp-with-toasted-couscous-ginger-orange-sauce

petalique thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • John Liu
    last year

I am in a dumpling mood, so I'd combine with shrimp or water chestnut or other veg and make dumplings, potstickers, or shao mai!

More generally on the freezer issue, we have a large upright that is terribly overfilled.

My father is living with us, and he has no activity except to drive to Costco and buy hundreds of dollars of food that we don't want, that he has no plans to cook, and that we don't have room to store. For example, he might come back with 10 lb of prime rib, 10 lb of mussels, and 10 lb of strawberries and say "its for you" and then we have to have The Discussion. Which is, succinctly, that his purchases are causing us inconvenience and are a symptom of his hoarding illness and he has to stop. I've mostly gotten him to cut down on this, but a result is way too much meat in the freezer.

It's not that having some meat in the freezer is a bad thing, but we don't actually want to eat beef that often, and it seems silly to buy fresh beef at elevated retail prices, just to stick it in the freezer for a year or more. Like I keep telling my dad, its not an investment.

petalique thanked John Liu
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    last year

I just watched a video yesterday of someone making a delicious looking shepherd's pie with diced pork loin.

petalique thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I've given up on my freezer. That's not to say I don't use the contents. I left a vintage 23 cubic sq ft running perfectly in the basement of our house when we'd moved. Many years earlier we'd had to remove the door to back porch, door to the basement and the freezers door (1926 home) just to get it downstairs. I bought a more efficient 18 cubic foot freezer now conveniently in my mud room and its just not quite big enough. I Costco shop, take advantage of specials, cook in bulk, always like to have frozen rice, shrimp, waffles, many other things on hand.

Any day I can open the upright door and not have a package of something land on my foot is a good day.

We like roast pork. I'll use cubed browned pork in chili and freeze portions. We also enjoy Hispanic seasoned 'pulled pork' (tacos, carnitas) that I'll often do in a dutch oven on my stove but a slow cooker works too. Although then I just about have to finish it on the stove to cook off the very last of the liquid before shredding with a couple of forks. I go heavy on the cumin, garlic, we like both those flavors.

petalique thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • LynnNM
    last year

Last year I was so frustrated with the jumbled mess of lost items in my garage’s upright freezer, I did a major revamp of my storing process in there! I totally filled it with labeled freezer baskets. What a huge difference it’s made in my life!

petalique thanked LynnNM
  • HU-929826674
    last year

Oh, you ORGANIZED people! You are missing out on the fun of freezer foraging, getting frostbite while digging about, and having frozen food fall on your head from the top shelf while you are searching the lower shelves.

I admire your organizational skills, and if you want to come and straighten out my freezer, I'll welcome you with open arms!

petalique thanked HU-929826674
  • Jupidupi
    last year

I have 2.4 cu. ft of freezer space in my 24" counter depth refrigerator. Apartment living! I am very good at making the most of it. When I was a kid we used to have little plastic puzzles with tiles that you slid around to move other tiles into place. I feel like I'm playing with one of those. But I always manage to have ice, pierogies, butter, some kind of ice cream, a package of chicken thighs, spaghetti sauce and some kind of meat that cooks low and slow. I replace things as I use them. Tonight I'm making goat. Next time I'll use the space for either beef shank or short ribs, whichever looks best at the butcher.

petalique thanked Jupidupi
  • CA Kate z9
    last year

Freezer defrosted, cleaned and refreezing.

The huge mass didn’t have a jar encased in ice, but rather was solid ice. Eek! The hair drier idea really helped lossen the big mass.

Later tonight I’ll reload the freezer. And, yes, I found way too many bags of cranberries; and more jars of chicken bone broth/stock than I knew I had. But, no surprises so far.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH