SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Whole wheat challah

Lars
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I wanted to make French toast for Thanksgiving breakfast, and in order to do that, I had to make either challah or brioche. So I decided to try making 50% whole wheat challah, as I felt that brioche has too much butter, and I would need to buy more eggs to make that.

Anyway, I decided that I would simply substitute 2 cups of whole wheat flour (plus 2 Tbsp VWG) for some of the flour, and I ended up using 2 cups of bread flour as well.

Here's how the raw dough looks after braiding:

The ropes were a bit more difficult to work with than when I make challah with all white flour, and they seemed to dry out a bit, especially at the ends. As you can see, I did not make a very tight braid, but it did rise a bit more after I finished braiding it and allowed it to rise for another 45 minutes. After that, I brushed it with egg white and sprinkled it with sesame seeds, which I store in the freezer.

I only had toasted sesame seeds, and so I spritzed the loaf with water before baking:

It tastes okay, and I think it will make good French toast. The egg flavor is less noticeable in the 50% whole wheat version, but that will be compensated for when I make French toast.

Do you have a favorite whole wheat challah recipe?

I think I will go ahead and make brioche for Christmas, despite the extra butter, since it is Kevin's favorite.

Comments (11)