SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

First my first Challah

Lars
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I watched several videos to see how to braid Challah, and this one was the most helpful:

I also printed out some instructions and practiced on string before braiding the dough, but my string did not come out exactly right, and I was not sure whether my dough did either, but after baking, I decided that it didn't matter.

I noticed that one end was much larger than the other, but perhaps that is normal. I made the bread because I found a recipe for whole wheat Challah in The BreadLover's Bread Machine cookbook, which I love for recipes, even though I no longer have a bread machine. It is one of my favorite bread cookbooks. I find this cookbook very easy to use, even without a bread machine, as I mainly only care about the proportions of ingredients.

I did an egg wash and sesame seeds on top, which made it very fragrant, but I rarely do an egg wash over bread, although it does make a very attractive color.

We haven't eaten any of it yet, as it just came out of the oven. I made it because I want to make French Toast tomorrow morning, but we will have some of it tonight with pasta with a mushroom turkey meatball marinara sauce. Yesterday I received my shipment of Six-in-1 Tomatoes, but I was no longer able to order them from the source and therefore had to order eight cans instead of six.

Comments (26)