SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

WWYD? Dissatisfaction with new kitchen table

mxk3 z5b_MI
last year
last modified: last year

This is very long....

Wondering if I should escalate this to a dispute with the credit card company or just let it lie.

I ordered a new kitchen table and chairs late last October, is an Amish barnwood set. I ordered clear coat, then a few days later went back into the furniture store (in person) and requested a change to Provencial stain -- since its all hand-made and work is 6 months out (at least), he said it was no problem; I saw him write down the change on the original order, he said the owner would send it in.

Fast forward to early this May about 6 months later, my table is finally in. Got it delivered and it's the wrong color! No clue if it's the furniture store's fault or the furniture maker's fault, but it's wrong so I refused delivery. Went back to the store to straighten it out, and I asked for some sort of discount because I waited for the table, now I have to wait another 6 months or so for a new table. The owner flat-out refused, telling me prices went up, I *am* getting a discount because she's honoring the original price. No free chair, no free delivery, nothing whatsoever to try to make it right with the customer other than she'll reorder it and not charge me anything extra. Not happy but my choice was (a) ask for a refund and go to the other furniture store in town who carries this line and run the risk of actually paying more, or (b) accept it and have her re-order. I chose (b).

Fast forward another 6 months to end of October, they deliver the set and hey it's the right color! I signed off on it and noticed after they left that they didn't fill the holes in the wood. I know holes and imperfections are a part of barnwood, but I looked at my other pieces of barnwood and reclaimed wood, and all holes were filled and finished over. Called the owner ASAP, sent over pictures, told her this is not acceptable -- I'm not taking pinholes here -- I'm talking holes through to the floor. She originally said she would call the furniture repair company and see what they could do, then she called me back a few minutes later and I got the "there are always holes in barnwood" sphiel and *I* should have requested they be filled --> yes, she actually blamed *me* for not knowing I should have requested that, and the furniture maker will not take it back for that. Uh....how the heck is a customer supposed to know to request to have the holes filled!?!? She refused to do anything for me -- again, no discount, no offering to pay for the repair, nothing. Nada. She did say I could call the furniture repair place myself but it would probably cost a few hundred dollars. Gee, thanks....

I happened to be at the other furniture store browsing and ran into the owner, who remembered me because I've purchased from her before. I told her what happened and she told me that 100% it is the salesperson's responsibility to tell customers that they need request to have the holes filled if they want them filled -- in other words, she blamed the furniture stored. She even took it on herself to call the furniture maker to see what they could do for me. I could have it shipped back, stripped, filled, re-stained, and shipped back to me. The cost of it wasn't bad, but the shipping would likely end up costing too much, so I declined. And of course this is all on me, she's not getting involved in a dispute with the other store, just mentioning because I think it's relevant --> this can be remedied, and it should be par for the course that salespeople ask what the customer wants to do about the holes.

DH doesn't care about the holes, but I do. I do love the table, but I've been silently stewing over this -- the holes don't bug me as much as they did at first, but they still do bug me, and I feel the furniture store should make some attempt to make the situation right, if not a new table then a discount. I do not remember if the salesman asked me if I wanted the holes filled but I believe I would have said yes had he asked -- but to be fair I don't remember. I looked at my receipt, and there's no note of hole filling on there.

Thank you if you've read this far. Please tell me what you would do -- escalate this to a credit card dispute or just let it go already.

Comments (44)