SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenhaefeli63

Advice on office nook please.

J H
last year

I am trying to create an office nook/command center in a space off our kitchen. The desk in the picture has since been relocated – and was a little big/deep for the space. I have a smaller, similar style desk in there now (vintage, solid wood). Unfortunately, this desk has no file drawers, so I have tons of stuff piled up on a nearby table as I try to figure out how to organize the space – definitely not working as a command center!

The dimensions of the space as you look at the window are: ~74” wide. Left wall. 59” deep. Right wall: 52” deep. If you come to our house, you walk by this space. It is off the mudroom entry and for those coming to the front door, you still have pass by it en route to the kitchen. In other words, it’s a very visible space – and currently a disaster area.

I’m looking for thoughts and advice on the best way to organize and furnish the space so that I can have a desk, filing drawers, printer table/space, storage space for school/office supplies, and a charging station for phones/tablets.

Would you:

· Keep the existing desk and get a standalone filing cabinet/filing cabinet with shelving? (If so, where to find something that might match in style without breaking the bank?)

· Get a new desk with filing cabinets built in.

· Put in an L-shaped desk or stick with a standard desk?

· Leave the desk under the window or move to one of the side walls? If on a side wall, would you put in a hutch/shelving above or leave everything low?

· Any other suggestions/thoughts/advice welcome.

Thanks.

Comments (26)

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Or get two short filing cabinets and top them with a surface piece (perhaps it could match your counter tops.)

J H thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Lyn Nielson
    last year

Sounds like you need a working desk. I'd find a more private space for a working desk and buy /make something with the filing you seem to want. (I am guessing you could purge alot of the filing and limit to one filing drawer...)

Nice window in the daily path, I'd put a low chest of drawers for Kitchen storage, table linens, candy stash...

with a platter or large bowl for a drop zone, a lamp, a vase or plant, and some artwork

If you pile now, you'll always pile, so designate a proper office space for the mess.

J H thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Related Discussions

Need advice on kitchen dining nook with tall wine fridge

Q

Comments (5)
    I think having a banquette butt into a fixed thing makes it hard to access because normally you slide into a banquette from the side. But if the side is blocked due to the wine fridge, that gets harder to get in and out of the short side. You could still do a long bench seat, but I think I would make a little casual snacking/coffee spot there. Maybe two comfortable slipper chairs and a small table between them. Sort of a fireside chat area without the fire, but with food and beverage (maybe like what you used to see in some coffee shop/bookstores).
    ...See More

Office decor advice please?

Q

Comments (6)
    I would place the desk and chair at an angle to the right of the fireplace, with the chair loosely in the corner in front of the window. Then you can add a lounger with an accent chair for your "ladies' den" seating arrangement in the rest of the room. Similar to this floor plan:
    ...See More

Need advice!! Dry BAR Nook

Q

Comments (11)
    Depends on the look you want. Do you want a built in look, or an open feel? Do you want to just put in a piece without having to do any work or have it built? I don't really think you have the space for an actual bar (or island) to stand behind, so I think a bar cart or maybe a cabinet so that the items are hidden most of the time would be what is called for here. Depending on your DIY skills, you could build in a cabinet with shelves or an upper cabinet. Not all these examples will be your style, but I think you can get the idea. You can even retrofit an old dresser, china cabinet, hutch, or secretary desk. This one would take some DIY skills or hire someone..... Just a cart....
    ...See More

Midcentury Modern Design Office Design - Advice Appreciated

Q

Comments (3)
    It wouldnt clash at all as long as you don't put them right next to eachother in the room. Mixing metals/wood tones is very "in" right now. All of your other elements you mentioned will balance it out.
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    last year

Is there room to put a desk on the right side and use the longer side for shelving, file cabinets etc.?

J H thanked RedRyder
  • J H
    Original Author
    last year

@Lyn Nielson - thank you for the ideas. Sounds lovely. And yes, I would love a private office space - but there's not really a place for that, so I need to make this function as an office nook. I think with the proper storage options I wouldn't have the piles. But either way - this is the space I have to work with. Thx.

• J H
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder - I think so. Maybe I should just try it and see how it works. Thx.

• Fori
    last year

I like the vintage desk. If you put the desk on the long wall can you fit a nice file cabinet opposite in the corner?

Maybe not this style, but you know, something furniture-y instead of office-y: file cab

Find something that complements the desk.

J H thanked Fori
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

What are dimensions of new vintage desk in this space? Can we see it? wondering about a rolling cart that might slide under desk & be pulled out when need access to contents. cart could be baskets or drawers - so many options on line - look under sewing, storage etc. . .And, if desk is not too long, facing longest wall, have a printer stand at window end which has drawers in it for files. Maybe a pretty bulletin board on long wall & beautiful art on short wall to glam up space or vice versa whichever wall most visible to entry. Charger stuff can sit in windowsill - get a charging set up to plug in & plug devices into charger bar. Hopefully you have wireless printer, WiFi etc to reduce cord clutter & maybe a laptop or Pad device over full desktop computer.

J H thanked KW PNW Z8
  • J H
    Original Author
    last year

@Fori thanks so much for the link. I've been considering a separate fiing cabinet but struggling to find one that would go with desk. Turns out there's a store 20 miles from me- I will check out their options. Thank you!

• J H
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8 - Current desk is 50" wide and 20" deep. It has drawers on all sides as well (just not big enough for files) so no space for anything to slide under. (Sorry - I'm too embarrased by the current state of the space to share a photo.) But from other comments, I think I am leaning toward a separate filing cabinet/printer stand as you suggest. Trick has been finding the right piece - but @Fori gave me a good place to look. Thx.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Is that a Stickley store you’re going to that’s 20 miles away? Get out your checkbook! I have a Stickley desk & hutch top & printer stand in our home office. Had for years so well worth our investment but it was $$$$. We do have other Stickley wood furniture so it’s our style. Your desk at 50” long doesn’t leave space for anything next to it on your longest 59” wall. But in the 74” wide space, the 20” deep desk does leave 54” floor space with desk running parallel to a wall.

J H thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Fori
    last year

It's hard to find decent office furniture. Stickley might be a tad pricey (or not. I don't know the budget.) but it's just an example of a nice file cabinet that can be seen in public instead of something faux wood from Office Depot. Room and Board has some decent file cabinets with good veneers (of named and recognizable tree species) but they run a bit sleek and modern.

You could look for a vintage file cabinet but they're sure hard to find...

I do like the idea of having the desk along one of the walls so that you can access the window better. And if there is a monitor, you don't want that in front of the window. I am a little jealous of your nook. :)

J H thanked Fori
  • artistsharonva
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have had several vintage desks over the years, but could not make them function for my daily use as a desk. They are made well & nice material but they were too uncomfortable squeezing into the small place to sit & the drawers were too shallow & did not pullout easily. I repurpose one in the work shed & sold the other ones.

As for your space, if you plan on this being more of a permanent small office, you may want to consider making a wall to make a room. A pocket door or a glass french door that swings to the left to not block the walkway. That way you can have quite privacy to focus when needed. Also, when working on a project, you could leave the project/papers on desk & close door to hide when not in use. You could buy a decorative screen to try to see if you like it before commiting to making it a room.

Also by having it as a room, you will gain some other wall space to hang shelving, magnet boards, ect. The window has more room on left side, so you may be able to do a L shape desk to spread out more. You could buy some fold up tables & chairs to experiment with the layout before commiting to see what layout works best for the way you work 1st. Then once you figure out the best layout that you enjoy, then you could buy furniture & set it up or hire a Pro or build yourself something permanent. ( I use to design desks when I designed closets. A closet company may be able to assist or a cabinet maker or finishing contractor can help build something unique just for you.)

As for files, I prefer several clear plastic boxes for hanging files. My boxes are in categories. For example, I have an action file box, of monthly to do stuff. I pull it out & put on desk when using & can put away when done. If I got to take several files for a project to an appointment, I take the box with me. I can stack them when needed or put them in a cabinet or closet. The portability saves time for me.

Hope this helps.

J H thanked artistsharonva
  • artemis78
    last year

We have a very similar area that I'm looking to do the same with (except ours is 82" wide) so following for ideas! So far the best I've come up with is to use kitchen cabinetry but at a lower height, and then put a countertop across it to fill the space. (Our window is also low at 33" off the ground, though, so we couldn't do standard height cabinetry anyway--thinking 30" high.)

J H thanked artemis78
  • everdebz
    last year

It's a lovely desk, which fits in its little spot!

Idk about the quality of the chargers built into a table lamp - this is brushed nickel.

3 color temperatures, 3 brightness settings, touch control and a USB port (5V, 2.1A) to fully charge your devices.

OttLite Wellness Series Harmonize LED Desk Lamp, Silver · More Info

OttLite Wellness Series Adjust LED Desk Lamp, Matte Black · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Qi wireless charging technology combined with OttLite ClearSun LEDs makes the Shine LED Desk Lamp an innovative and healthy choice for your desk. Break free from glare and eyestrain. The OttLite ClearSun LED is shown to reduce eyestrain by 51% making your time spent reading and working on the computer more comfortable and enjoyable. Plus, this lamp features the convenience and ease of wireless charging – simply place your phone on the lamp’s base and charge. If you don’t have a Qi-certified phone, no problem … use the powerful 2V. 5.1A USB port.

OttLite Shine LED Desk Lamp with Wireless Charging · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Two USB 2.0 ports to charge phone or tablet. Curved base and wood detailing casual for farmhouse, rustic, 16.5W x 17.5D x 26H. For $92.

Magnitude Side Table with Storage and USB Ports in Heirloom White - Wood Veneer · More Info

Magnitude Side Table with Storage and USB Ports in Heirloom Blue - Wood Veneer · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Empty wall space -turned to face the wall?

Bush Furniture Salinas Small Computer Desk with Hutch in Reclaimed Pine · More Info

Reversible L-Shape Computer Desk With Drawers and File Cabinet · More Info

Key West 60W L Desk with Hutch & Drawers in Reclaimed Pine - Engineered Wood · More Info

J H thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    last year

I had a work desk in a closet once - it's a question worth asking, whether you feel negative about being within the space.... of course yours has a window, but still faces away. Does it feel more private - and do you like that?

J H thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Is this an actual working space or just a home office? IMO most things can be stored online for ahome office and files can for sure be somehwere else like a closet if you need a file space at all. I store all my bills on line when they are paid and the payment noted they get deleted. I took pics of the model #s of all my appliances and those are on my computer. IMO you figure out what you actually NEED in the space for everyday use. I think the desk fits well but is very heavy looking for that tiny space but I need to know a bit more about how you use this desk and space . Maybe some clue as to the spaces around this one too so we get some idea of your style. Since this space is an open one IMO the desk needs to fit the style of the rest of the house.

J H thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • artistsharonva
    last year

A well designed office space should be inviting to the main user.

A space that is comfortable & motivational which produces a focus, work vibe.

What works for the desk/office area all depends on the user.

Some people like privacy to not be destracted.

Some like bright light, some like darker for their computer screens

Some prefer warm & cozy.

Some want to be open around others

Some like to spread out eveything when working & leave out to finished.

Some want everything hidden.

Some want more storage than work area.

For example,

I am a creative type, so I spread out my design/art projects all over when inspiration hits.

I don't want to be bothered with putting everything away in a middle of a project & re-pull it out. This slows my productivity down. I want to be able to return the next day & start where I left off to until finished. After done, then I put everything away. Having a door to hide my open shelving & creative chaos zone works for me. I also like a door so I can hide from distractions to super focus on my art or designs & play music to match the current vibe.

On the other hand, my very organized friend was totally different. Her desk was prestine. It was in the middle of a room & she put everything away daily. It looked great in the open, because this was naturally her organized way.

We both preferred a lot of light in our work environment. I know another guy who needs a dark room for his big computer screen & to helps him focus.

We all are unque & have unique habits that naturally work for us.

I suggest making a list of MUST HAVES & WISH LIST for a foundation on how to make your office/desk area a place you look forward to working in.

Embrace what works best for you.

Here's some inspirational photos of mini- offices,

I randomly found to gather bits & pieces of ideas to help with your desk space.

J H thanked artistsharonva
  • Maureen
    last year

If wall on left is suitable, I’d take advantage of its height and length to meet all your needs. You also won’t feel as cramped. The components below could be configured with items from Ikea and printer could be stored away.

J H thanked Maureen
  • J H
    Original Author
    last year

@artistsharonva - thank you so much for your thoughtful and helpful comments. I would love to have doors on the area, but for now may look for a privacy screen. I do love the space for my needs - just need to figure out the right furniture/furnishings/set up.

@Maureen - thank you for the images and ideas too. Much appreicated Love the idea of a rollout printer drawer!

Thanks to all who have taken time to share thoughts and ideas - I feel closer to some solutions now. thanks!

• jull lenga
    last year

Have you finished the project yet? It is interesting to look at the finished result

I am planning something like this. But there is no place for documents at all

Respectfully, Jull from Legal Files

• J H
    Original Author
    last year

Hi @jull lenga. I am stuck in my perennial dilemma of finding the right piece of furniture (at the right price of course). For the look you have, you could add a filing drawer underneath as a place for papers. Looks lovely.

• J C
    last year

This sounds like a Design Delimma or Home Decorating topic. Seems like our forum mods are lax on proper use of topics, in sub catagories. I could very well ask what type of fire place insert should I get, and place it in furniture.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm