SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

Miele hood installed too low (5'6.5" from flooring) I bump by head

venexiano
last year
last modified: last year

I finally got my Miele hood (DA 6596 D Puristic Canto) and cooktop (KM-6360) installed. I have a major issue. The Watkins installer said it cannot be installed higher than what he did. I have a 8' ceiling (or better 7'10.5"because of some plywood added under wood floor), like many American houses have, and the lower part of the hood is now located at 5'6"3/4 from the flooring (minimum height of the chimney is 27 1/4", see pag 34 of the installation manual here). I am 6'1" tall, and the average American man is 5' 9", so most people would hit their head when cooking. The installer hit his head twice when trying out the cooktop, because it is natural to lean over the pots to check them if water boils, and when one moves back then "BAM", the head smashes on the hood. I am surprised Miele costs so much and keeps on the American market a product that cannot be shortened to be above head height for the average American and for an average 8' tall house. Now, this is a huge issue and I would like it to be fixed, especially after I had to spend 4k on hood+installation. The installer said he doubts the chimney can be cut. Here I saw a video of a guy cutting a chimney. On this Houzz post a user named wpdoit says "the installer did, built a roughly six inch box frame between the ceiling joists, and ran the frame and shroud through the dry wall". In my case, Watkins screwed the chimney with 2 screws on a joist (see pic below), one on backing and one on a drywall butterfly, and having the chimney go through the ceiling implies either to cut the joist or to move my island (not anchored yet) by 12" away from cabinet wall to clear the joist. I have only 47" between wall cabinets and island cabinets (see pic below), so I can only go away from cabinets, but I feel that 47"+12"=49" would be too far away and would take space from the dining area, making bar stools and table chairs too close. Plus, I need to speak to electrician and see if there is enough slacks for wires to move island by 12". What do you suggest?

In the figure below, countertop is 35.5" from flooring, there is 30"1/4 from top of countertop to bottom of hood, and from bottom of hood to ceiling its 27" 3/4.

Comments (8)