SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
applepoppy

Wood grade for Lowes brand cabinets (Diamond and KraftMaid).

Jesse W
last year

Hello fabulous community! There are such great discussions out there and I’m hoping for a little help too.
To begin: I recognize that Lowes is a big box store and that these are mid grade and mid price cabinet lines. I recognize that people mean different things when they talk about quality - how durable hardware is, how many errors to expect in construction when the shipment arrives, abilities of a KD, etc. My question is if there is a difference in the grade of wood used by KraftMaid versus that of Diamond, and what to expect between them if there are differences.
We’ve decided to go with cherry in natural (no paint or stain) and I know to expect significant darkening as well as some variation in color due to the parts of wood used. Should there be different expectations for the wood though, such as can I expect more evenness among the parts of the door or more pinholes and other characteristics from one brand to the other? Diamond is supposed to be the least expensive of the three Lowes brands and it would seem like that could be part of it. Pictures on the brand websites and at the displays at the store indicate there might be a difference too. KraftMaid appears to have much more even/better matched wood and be a bit more aged at the onset.
If they really are the same I probably will go with Diamond to save a bit of money and, mostly, to spare the hassle that may come of the poor communication and longer wait times that seem to be associated with KraftMaid (can be more specific if needed). I don’t expect perfection but am looking for comparison.
Anyone out there with helpful info?

Comments (10)