SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
li92

Help picking base cabinet drawer sizes in layout

Lisa
last year

I've previously gotten some help on my layout here and I'm trying to nail down base cabinet sizes that would be most useful in my space so I can finally order cabinets. The gist of the layout is, the dish washer and main sink will be in a peninsula I'm adding, along with a 30" dish drawer.

On the other wall of the kitchen I will have a trash pullout (18") and a prep sink (21" cabinet), then an empty corner (due to a chase in the wall that must stay), then on the wall with the range I have some space to play with - 65" to the left of the range and 94" to the right of the range. Microwave will be on counter at the right, underneath the only upper cabinet. On the leftmost wall (with prep sink) there will be open shelves.

For base cabinets the main things I'd like to store are:

Cutting boards

Baking sheets

Mixing bowls

Pots and pans (including 10 and 12" cast iron skillets and a 10" W 6.5" H dutch oven and stockpot)

Instant pot if possible

Oil and vinegar if possible (in like a pull out pantry style cabinet?)

Spices (in a top drawer)

Prep implements (like microplane, grater, spoons etc)

Oven mitts

Tinfoil, parchment paper and saran wrap in a top drawer

Ziploc bags

So, how would you all recommend I apportion the base cabinet space, and in what type of drawers/shelves? Any overall design critique is also welcome.

I know the doorway between the trash pullout and then the fridge is tight, but it's what we're already living with and works for us, and I can't give up any more counter/storage space. Not shown on the other side of the peninsula will be 12" deep base cabinets with shelves that are 47" tall, for extra pantry storage and to hide sink from the dining room over there. We also have additional freestanding pantry space there.

Thanks!

Comments (8)