SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_perkins66

New Quartzite Counter Color Doesn't Match the Bathroom!- updated

Sharon Perkins
last year
last modified: last year

This is my 8th try to post. So frustrating.

Bottom line-- new counter doesn't match. Not enough blue/gray, too much yellow/ red. I can repaint walls or vanity. Or replace backsplash piece that appears almost completely yellow.

Suggestions???

Comments (50)

• Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

Getting this to post has been a frustrating experience! I can add more details here. This is the master bath, but it's,as you can see, not that big. The master bedroom is painted the same blue. The floor is gray/blue and a small amount of tan. I've wanted to repaint the vanity, so I thought I could make this work that way, but now I'm not sure what color could pull this together. Really need help on this. Added a few more pictures.

• Related Discussions

bathroom countertop - oops!

Q

Comments (10)
    You can always pull your cabinets forward the extra distance and put block spacers behind them for support. You may have to do a bit of cut out in the back of the sink cabinet. My kitchen counters are mounted this way so I can have extra deep counter top; instead of the standard 25 inch deep counters I have 33 inch deep. There is a cleat on the back wall to support the back edge of the counter, and spacers between the cleat and cabinet backs and spacers between the back wall and cabinet bases so they can be screwed to the spacers like they would be screwed to the wall normally. The spacers are screwed to the wall studs.
    ...See More

Bathroom Countertops

Q

Comments (21)
    While talking solid surface, don't forget Swanstone. We are likely getting their roll-in shower pan and walls. Some of their newest colors are not the speckled look, but more swirly. Don't know for sure about the curling iron for that, though. Couldn't you put a granite or other stone or porcelain or metal trivet down to set it on? I saw a kitchen reno on DIY network recently that used an epoxy resin laboratory benchtop material for the kitchen. I have that in my garage as my workshop countertops because I bought metal lab cabinets off Craigslist. This stuff is heat, acid, VOC and pretty much all-substance proof. It now comes in colors. If you want to see some of the original black stuff, go to the Smaller Homes forum here and search for Mama Goose's Kitchen. She has it next to the fridge, if I remember correctly. Hers is used, from a high school chem lab. You can refinish it if it becomes marred.
    ...See More

Bathroom remodel, what counters, sink, lighting, backsplash, paint?

Q

Comments (5)
    I think the cabinets are lovely and would lend themselves to many options. Are you wanting granite? other solid surface? It's a fairly neutral bathroom as is (floor and vanity) so what colors are in the rest of the house and or are your leaning towards? Also, while it;s great for pros to offer help on here, I thought the forums were to share ideas and private messaging was more for personal or unique info.
    ...See More

Any Design Help to help match new countertop with existing vanity?

Q

Comments (2)
    It doesn't look off in the photos but it's hard to see color nuances when no one uses flash photography anymore. Do the speckles in the quartz match the vanity color so there's at least that tie-in? What would you have chosen instead? A quartz with taupe undertones so your counter, cabinet, and floor is all the same boring tone? If it really bothers you, I'd think about updating the flooring to the more modern vibe of the vanity. The speckled quartzes need a busier, patterned floor tile. A tile with a little white to reference the counter would make the counter choice seem purposeful.
    ...See More
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

Doesn’t match what? Counter looks great with cabinet so definitely would not be changing that. The counter is pretty & should be star of bathroom. I agree that light blue isn’t great. How about pulling a warm color from counter - ivory tone to highlight the brighter color? Be sure to coordinate with flooring too. I’m sure someone here will tell you to check color of lighting too before doing anything. A daylight color over a yellow tone will really change how all the colors look

Sharon Perkins thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

When I look at it, nothing seems to match! The top seems to blend in to the vanity too much; the vanity seems too dark. The blue definitely clashes. The floor is the one thing I don't want to change, and even though the colors in the counter and floor seemed to match in the warehouse, they definitely don't in this bathrooms!

I've tried different bulbs but willing to try more. These are on the cooler side; the warmer ones seemed to make the gold and red in the counter worse. There's much more red in this than it looked in the warehouse. I'm upset but I know there's got to be a way to improve this.

• tracefloyd
    last year

The stone-like floor tile has both warm and cool-toned grays in it and the countertop definitely does, so in essence those two elements actually do 'match', or at least coordinate together beautifully.

I would paint the walls and wood together in the same white. That way the two stone elements will dominate the decor and draw the eye to their similiarity. Let the drama of those two patterns work together.

Here is the concept I could find on Houzz, the walls are blue here but we know that blue does not work with your stone. Picture them white.

Woodmeister Master Builders - Bathroom · More Info

Sharon Perkins thanked tracefloyd
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Sharon Perkins I really think painting walls a neutral tone is the answer. That & lighting. The light blue is just not working for me with either the cabinet or counter or floor. I do think painting cabinet would make things worse & ruin a nice cabinet. And, what color would work anyway? It would only introduce yet another color into the scheme.

• Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

I just looked at my kitchen, where I have a counter with very similar colors. If I paint the vanity and the walls a cream color, will the floor clash? I put a spare piece of the bathroom floor there. It looks ok to me but I don't trust myself anymore!

• Sammie J
    last year

A soft, neutral cream color will tie all of the elements together. The vanity, countertop, and flooring look nice together - it's the walls that are throwing things off.

Sharon Perkins thanked Sammie J
  • catbuilder
    last year

Paint the walls. Everything (color-wise) looks good except for that.

Sharon Perkins thanked catbuilder
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

I love the top. I also really like a wood stained cabinet. The blue walls should go. You may want to consider getting rid of the side splashes unless you feel like you really need them. They look a little clunky to me. You could do a grey/beige tone or a beautiful sage green or if you really want blue, find one that is more towards the gray side than the brighter side

Good luck!

Sharon Perkins thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Yayagal
    last year

The blue rug is not flattering as well as the walls, the rest is wonderful. Just go towards white.

Sharon Perkins thanked Yayagal
  • Cynthia
    last year

Another vote for don't paint the vanity! Paint the walls a creamy white. The wood vanity looks better with the counter than the white cabs in the kitchen (kitchen doesn't look bad but the vanity looks better!).

Sharon Perkins thanked Cynthia
  • kandrewspa
    last year

Earlier you said the bedroom is painted the same color as the bathroom. All of the advice you have gotten so far is spot on. I just want to assure you that there is nothing wrong with having the bathroom painted a different color than the bedroom. There is no way that blue is ever going to work with the countertop and repainting is less expensive than ripping it out and trying something else.

Sharon Perkins thanked kandrewspa
  • Rehabit
    last year

floor vanity countertop all look good together but this pastel blue doesn't look good with your dark hard surfaces.

Sharon Perkins thanked Rehabit
  • User
    last year

I think that is a beautiful countertop! Is it Blue Fusion? Looks dark blue with gold veining. I disagree on cream walls (boring) I think a dark Smokey blue wall would look great. I do think your vanity is screaming for a wider mirror. I am also wondering if changing the vanity hardware and faucet would bring everything together better. The expensive things in the room, vanity, floor and countertop are beautiful together, just some small tweaks will make the room come together

Sharon Perkins thanked User
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Wall should have been gray to coordinate with floor and counter. Move your too small med. cabinet to the side wall and place a large round mirror over the sink.

W

Sharon Perkins thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for all the comments! The previous countertop was white, so the blue walls were a better match. I originally picked out a white top with blue crystals, but it was calcite, and I chickened out, worried abut staining. I didn't notice how much desert tan/ red/ pinkish color there was in some areas. I was focused on the light tan, blue and gray. Live and learn!

I realized, when I spent some time really looking at it today, that the area I really dislike is the pinkish tan area of the backsplash to the right as I look at it. It's a perfect match to the counter, but it's not enough blue and too much rusty tan. I went back to the shop and am having them cut another backsplash piece, for the back wall, one with more blue and gray in it.

My kitchen is fusion, although they call it Impactus. This stone is called mojave blue, and that should have been my first clue that it would have too much of a desert feel!

I agree with the people who said I need a bigger mirror. I've known that almost from day one, but my son in law spent hours cutting out the cabinet area for me and I haven't wanted to change it because o that! Ridiculous, yes, I know.

I am going to paint the walls and leave the vanity. Still debating about the color. Someone mentioned the dark rug, and I also agree it's too dark. Not sure whether to go with tan, gray or lighter blue there. Obviously, I really like blue!

Again, thanks for all your help and I'll gladly listen to any more suggestions or ideas.

• always1stepbehind
    last year

I like the vanity and countersop, I'd paint the walls for sure.

Sharon Perkins thanked always1stepbehind
  • ffpalms
    last year

I think SW Crushed Ice looks nice.

Sharon Perkins thanked ffpalms
  • Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

I admit I still think the vanity is too dark and that it doesn’t quite go with the floor. I’m just not crazy about the espresso look. But one thing at time, I’ll tackle the walls first, as soon as I figure out the right color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

even if you paint the vanity, it's not going to change the fact that the wall color needs to change. start w/that first. you can always do the vanity later if need be.

beautiful stone.
    get away from blue toned grays and try more of a silver that works w/your floor tiles/vanity. a warmer gray.

Sharon Perkins thanked Beth H. :
  • Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

I'll definitely paint the walls first. Would like to neutralize the gold/red tones both in the stone and in the vanity!

Can anyone do a mock-up in griege or should I give up the tan/beige/greige idea altogether?

• Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

I also think I should have left off the backsplash altogether. Whoever said it looks clunky was right! And although they did a great matching job, it puts the color I like least front and center.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I don't think it's bad. once the wall is painted and you bring in a few vanity countertop items, it should look fine.

I gave you some neutral gray colors above. Silver chain?

do you still want a griege?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You have to install the backsplash. There is no guarantee the wall is flat and for sure you will have water intrusion from the sink and faucet.

• Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

Cant remember how to respond directly to individuals! have to read up on it

Beth, I’d like to see a mock up with griege for comparison purposes

Tracy, here’s a picture of the rest of my bathroom. There isn’t much more to it! the shower curtain has to say, it was a gift.

Beverly, glad I need the backsplash since I just paid to replace it!

The only window is in the shower

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

sharon, grab some samples. no one will be able to replicate your lighting and how the paint will look.

make sure to prime over the blue first before sampling.

if you want a griege, try one of these (I actually used light pewter in my kitchen)

This one is a combo BM Smoke Embers w/about 1/4 of Abalone.

Smoke Embers is actually a very pretty shade. Abalone has a pink undertone to it that might lighten it up a bit.

or, try silver chain or gray owl

• Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

@tracefloyd I guess that works!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Sharon Perkins how about painting both medicine cabs same color as trim in room?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

I had the same problem with counter tops dictating the color of the walls. I have a medium grayish blue on the vanity and used Caesarstone "Bianco Drift" for the counter top. Even though the stone is gray-ish, it's got warm tones in it. It looked horrible with any grayish blue colors on the walls. I used B.Moore "Gray Huskie" and it looks great. You could try warm grays to see if that works.

Here's a photo of the room:

painted cabinets · More Info

Also keep in mind that colors are not rendered true to life on computer monitors. You need to see the color in the room with your lighting to make the best decision.

Sharon Perkins thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • kl23
    last year

Your bathroom counter and vanity are great. Really exciting! You just need grey walls and all will be well. You can add some of the other ideas too if you wish, but don't get upset over the counter…even the backsplash will be fine with grey walls.

Sharon Perkins thanked kl23
  • Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC @BeverlyFLADeziner

What do you all ( and everyone else!) think of Silver Chain? I'm having the back piece of the backsplash replaced with a piece that has more blue in it. I think all that tan is throwing off the color to me.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I think the beige tones actually bring some warmth into the space.

I would lose the wood frame mirror and do a metal rimmed one in it's place. (Besides, that current mirror is too small/narrow. you need a wider one)

don't forget the countertop accessories.

silver chain looks pretty good. is that just one coat?

• PRO
    last year

Is your photo with Silver Chain the actual paint? or a mockup? Whatever, it looks WAAAAY better than the blue. Also I would leave the backsplash as is.

• kl23
    last year

Nice! Much better!

Sharon Perkins thanked kl23
  • RedRyder
    last year

I can see the “tan” side of the backsplash because you mentioned it. Don’t bother to get another piece to have a bit more blue. Put a plant in front of it like @Beth H suggested.

Start by painting the walls of the bathroom one of the soft grays suggested. Then take more photos and wait two weeks. I don’t think you need to paint the vanity. The blue walls, as everyone has said, are the problem. I’m sorry the medicine cabinet was a big job for your son but it needs to go to the left so you can place a gorgeous mirror there. It adds bulk to the area.

And paint the little cabinet over the toilet the same color as the walls.

Sharon Perkins thanked RedRyder
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Sharon Perkins Understand your reluctance to change something your s-i-l spent time doing for you. He sounds like a treasure to be so helpful. Has it been awhile since that work was done? If it has it might be much less of an awkward moment than you fear. I wondered about two possibilities. is that cabinet the same size as one on left wall? If yes & they’re both mounted recessed between studs, I wonder if it can be moved to side? And, I wondered if it’s possible to replace the door front of cabinet with a larger mirror - maybe not but can’t quite see how much of the face frame is door on cabinet.

• Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. :Yies, its just one coat ariund the counter. I’ll have my handyman painting the whole room and moving the medicine cabinet.to the side so I can put a larger mirror in its place.. I hope my son inlaw understands, @KW PNW Z8,

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC @RedRyder Yes, it‘s the actual paint, just ariund the counter.. i already told the to cut the new backsplsh piece, the tan section really bothers me.

• PRO
    last year

It looks great, and if the b/s really bothers you, then that's the best option to replace it.

It's amazing how the wall paint brings the whole room together!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Sharon Perkins As long as you tell your son in law ahead of time & explain how hard it is for you to undo his good work but that the new counter going in created the need for more change than you thought, he will be okay with it I’m sure! He might be happy you’re not asking him to move the cabinet, paint the walls & hang the new mirror! 😁

• RedRyder
    last year

I doubt he will be upset that you moved it. I’m sure he just wants you to be happy with your bathroom.

The painting will be the most important change and probably make you much happier with the countertop and vanity. But I’m glad you’re moving the medicine cabinet to the side.

• Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

Ok, here‘s the painted bath with the bew mirror and the medicine cabinet moved. The color is Silver Chain. I’m very happy with how it turned out!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Sharon Perkins Really great result and such a difference for making the counter look perfect! Love the new mirror, repositioned medicine cabinet & wall color! Thanks for coming back to show us. And, your lovely son-in-law - is he good with the changes after seeing how good it looks?

• olychick
    last year

That looks really nice!

Sharon Perkins thanked olychick
  • Sharon Perkins
    Original Author
    last year

@KW He won’t see it until Thanksgiving!Hopefully he’ll be so full of food he’ll be gracious about it!

• User
    last year

Looks great!

Sharon Perkins thanked User
  • RedRyder
    last year

It looks fantastic! And I’m sure your son will be happy that you’re happy.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

looks nice Sharon.

• PRO
    last year

Much better!

• Nancy in Mich
    last year

Very nice! Now the bathroom looks perfect.

Sharon Perkins thanked Nancy in Mich