Yoyobon's bear incident and a book about such things
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
Related Discussions
What about bears?
Comments (15)I knew bears were a possibility, but put off the inevitable. There was a "shocked" cartoon image in my head of what would happen when I put in an electric fence: ZZZZZZZttt! Didn't get shocked. Pretty easy to do. The hives are no longer in the backyard, found a better place just down the hill at a neighbor's, more morning sun. I had a hive there last year that didn't get bothered by the marauding bear, but of course it is still a possibility. I don't bait the fence, mainly because I don't want to attract a bear that wouldn't find the location otherwise. Before I moved the hives to their location, I'm fairly sure the bear came back and the electric fence got him. One morning, some of the fence poles were tilted inwards....See MoreKnow of a book about this?
Comments (17)I'm another Penzey's fan. You should be able to find any type of salt free seasoning there. You might want to check their website for the locations of their stores. I first went to a Penzey's store I noticed while in Madison, WI for my DH's yearly heart biopsy at the VA. I passed it going back and forth to the VA. I got a catalog from them as well as purchased $70+ worth of seasonings. I found out there was a Penzey's about an hour and a half from home. There was a Trader Joe's a couple of doors down from them. I never dreamed these wonderous stores were that close to home. You can sign up for Penzey's catalog to be sent to you. They not only usually have a coupon on the front for a free container of their newest product, they have lots of customer submitted recipes in the catalog and on their website using the different spices....See MoreFunny Incident concerning smaller home versus mac mansions
Comments (6)This is one description of the use for a widow's walk, as my mother shared with me years ago (she was once a docent for an historic home that had a widow's walk): http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Widow's%20walk "Widow's walk (thing) by Zxaos (1.5 y) (print) ? Sat Jun 19 2004 at 23:29:59 A widow's walk is the name generally given to a raised platform at or near the top of a house, generally with a railing (often wrought iron). As most widow's walks are on the roof of the house, they are easy to distinguish from balconies. Almost never found on new houses, and almost solely found in the architecture of communities with a harbour, the main purpose of the walk was to allow a look out to the water, allowing a person to observe the ships near the town. The name "widow's walk" is derived from the practise of many women going out to the platform to watch the water before or during a storm, to know if their husbands or sons were going to survive the dangerous weather. Another account of the nomenclature of the walk is that since whalers were often gone for long periods of time (months or ever years), the "widows" stand in the enclosed area, looking out to sea, hoping to spot their men coming home."...See MoreStrange controversy about this childhood book series
Comments (17)I remember it being pronounced as Berenstain Bears but also remember thinking that it was an odd pronunciation given that it was written Berenstein Bears. I think its actually a test run of a nefarious plot to rewrite history and convince everyone to doubt their own memory. What's next? Trying to convince people that President Agnew's 6 years in office wasn't one of the most transformative events in American History? Its crazy I tell ya....See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

WORKING WITH PROS10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story
LIFEThe Beautiful Thing About Dad's Chair
My father had his own spot in the house. His father had his own spot. Now I have mine
Full Story
BOOKS11 Great Children’s Books About Home (and 2 Honorable Mentions)
Homes come in many different shapes and sizes, and these kids’ books highlight the tallest, the smallest, the oldest and the silliest
Full Story
BOOKSBeautify Your Home With Things You May Already Own
Get ideas for creating vignettes, arranging collections and more in the new book ‘Domino: Your Guide to a Stylish Home’
Full Story
FURNITUREAim High: What to Know About Adding a Library Ladder
Have books or shelves out of reach? Here’s how to get a library ladder that works just right for your needs
Full Story
ORGANIZINGDecluttering Help: What to Do When Too Many Things ‘Spark Joy’
Get rid of duplicates, eliminate decor you don’t display and let go of items you feel more obligation about than joy
Full Story
PETSSo You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN12 Things to Consider for Your Bathroom Remodel
Maybe a tub doesn’t float your boat, but having no threshold is a no-brainer. These points to ponder will help you plan
Full Story
LIFEBuzzworthy Book: ‘The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning’
Author and artist Margareta Magnusson’s lessons for decluttering are applicable to all, no matter your stage of life
Full Story
LIFEHow to Be More Intentional About Sentimental Clutter
These 7 questions can help you decide whether to keep, store or let go of those once-meaningful objects in your life
Full Story

yoyobon_gw