SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecoopers_gw

What about bears?

thecoopers
16 years ago

We are soon to start a new apiary of bees in the mountains of southeastern Tennessee. The area that we are planning on putting the bees has an active population of black bear. A native neighbor (a non-beekeeper) made the suggestion of putting the hives inside a chain-linked fence (7 feet high with a roof and a door). He has the door and fence that he would give us. All we would have to buy are the posts. My questions regarding this idea for the members of this forum are:

I am concerned about the chain link fence interfering with the flight pattern of the bees. Considering there would need to be work space around the hives, would this be an issue if the hives were a number of feet back away from the fence and if so how far?

Because of aesthetic issues involved in having chain link fence in a natural setting I would be compelled to have some sort of vine to cover the exposed sides and this would restrict sunlight. The top (chain linked) would be kept open without vines to let the sunlight in. The sight is an open area with full sun from noon to five. Would this be too shaded for the bees?

Does anyone see any additional issues that should be considered in deciding to do this or not?

If anyone has any direct experience with beekeeping in bear country and can give any insights it would be helpful. I have read the University of Tennessee Extension book on beekeeping and it does not speak to the issue of bears and beekeeping.

Thank you.

Comments (15)

Sponsored