SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

My entries in the photo section of our rose show

mmmm12COzone5
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

I decided to enter a couple of photos in our local rose show. It is tomorrow so tune in then to see how I do. Since this is my first time I am entering in the Novice categories and they only have three options:

SECTION E: NOVICE CLASS

E-1. ROSES OF ANY VARIETY WITHOUT SIDE BUDS: Roses must be the dominant flower in the photo. Roses may be named on entry tag if known.

E-2. ROSES OF ANY VARIETY IN A GARDEN SETTING: A private or public garden, which must have the name of the garden on the entry tag. Roses must be the dominant flower in the garden. Roses may be named on entry tag if known.

E-3. A SPRAY OF ANY VARIETY ROSES WITH 2 OR MORE OPEN BLOOMS AND SHOWING COLOR: Roses may be named on entry tag if known.

Dainty Bess.

I think this goes in the E-3 spray section but not sure if they will say in the garden photos section. Colors aren't showing well in this photo because I took the picture at night, in real life it is more like the picture with the black mat.

Sorry for the tilted photo. I had to do that to avoid reflection.

I was really torn as to whether to go with a black or white mat for it.

Both my husband and the framer at Hobby Lobby voted for the white, saying the flowers popped more so that is what I bought but I preferred the black. Part of what influenced me is that I chose black for my other two photos and wanted to make it look like I gave thought to the mat color vs just choosing the same mat for everything.

Neil Diamond in the E1 Roses of Any Variety Without Side Buds.

I was already told this one will be penalized because I didn't pull off the center petals. But all my photos are garden shots, not ones I took anticipating I would put them in a rose show. I first printed a more close up version but I liked the shadow and full leaves in the lower right of this photo so decided to go with this size because of the leaves around it. I feel like the density and shape of the leaves compliment the density and shape of the petals.

Fred Loads in E1 Roses any Variety Without Side Buds. I really liked this one. I think the fuzzed out Winnipeg Parks flowers really compliment it and give it an artsy feel. Will be interested to see if the judges feel the same.

I also liked these two photos of Fourth of July (top) and Fred Loads (bottom) but they don't allow side buds so I didn't mat them up for submission.

I also considered this picture as I really like Easy on the Eyes but figured the center flower having older stamens would sink it so I didn't mat it up either.

I couldn't get this Amiga Mia picture to print out well because I took the picture in the shade which caused it to look poor when printed. Bummed because Amiga Mia is such a pretty flower.

By the time I got the three matted and mounted this evening Hobby Lobby had already closed so I couldn't change my mind on the color of the mat for Dainty Bess. Good lesson on getting them done at least a day in advance to allow for changing one's mind.

I ended up printing twelve 8x10 photos for the three I decided were OK to submit. After the show I will likely offer the unused prints for free on Nextdoor to see if anyone wants them for scrap booking or something. I hate to just throw them out as they are quite pretty.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

Comments (29)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

The cost for entering these three photos ended up being alot higher than I thought it would.

Twelve 8x10 prints at Walmart - $37.

Three mats and backer boards at Hobby Lobby - $28.

Total = $65 or Almost $22 per entry.

Would have been cheaper if I nailed photos the first time but it was hard to tell which ones would print well based on the electronic pictures. Turns out that nothing taken in the shade printed well.

• berrypiez6b
    4 months ago

Beautiful roses and beautiful Photos ! Hope you have a thrilling time.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked berrypiez6b
  • Related Discussions

Entered my first rose show - adventures of a novice...

Q

Comments (18)
    Lol, thank you all, I'm glad you enjoyed my story. Yes, I had fun! I'd encourage anyone thinking of showing to get out there and give it a go. I've been encouraged by other's posts on here about their first shows, including buford's (lovely arrangement, btw!). So hopefully others will be encouraged by mine. :-) It was the West Jersey show, Diane. It was a bit larger show than I had expected, and there were so many gorgeous roses, so it was great to take time to study the exhibitions. I wasn't able to make the show this weekend because I was away, unfortunately. Thanks seil for the cutting tips, it's been from your posts that I learned a little about cutting for show. I'll definitely keep the other tips you shared in mind for the next show! I did join a local society the other day, though not the one that ran the show. They seem to be a great group of people, I just wish I lived closer. I haven't loaded them on the computer yet, but I'll try to post some pictures soon for those of you who asked to see them.
    ...See More

Show Us Your Favorite Rose Photo.

Q

Comments (86)
    WOW!!! I have really injoyed this thread of all these beautiful roses.They are all so gorgeous,and I can't wait till spring flush time to see more.I was h oping some one would post a picture of Mon Cheri as I bought one a few weeks ago in a body bag and its growing gang busters at present and can't wait to see the first bloom.I am hoping it looks like the picture that was on the bag. Jean
    ...See More

Houston quilt Show, my photo is visible....

Q

Comments (4)
    Ooooo! Here is my appliqué teacher's quilt. She does it all completely by hand. maggie_sue, I'm sorry I'm not getting which photo is yours. Congrats!
    ...See More

Jersey Shore Rose Society (JSRS) Rose Show, September 19, 2015

Q

Comments (3)
    As always, a pleasure. (Hard work, long day, but a pleasure :-) With some of the JSRS members prodding me, maybe next year I'll even enter an arrangement ... IF I can figure out the "styles". I almost did it this year, but feel "style" illiterate.
    ...See More
  • strawchicago z5
    4 months ago

Those pics. are gorgeous. You are an experienced photographer, and your roses look great !!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked strawchicago z5
  • rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Good luck, mmmm!!! I really think your Dainty Bess shot could win you a ribbon!! They all look good...and good for you for entering! :) :)

mmmm12COzone5 thanked rosecanadian
  • mstywoods
    4 months ago

They are all beautiful - pics as well as the flowers themselves! I tend to like the black frames as well, they seem to pop the colors more IMO. Very cool that you are entering the contest. Good luck!!!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked mstywoods
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks all! I definitely regretted not going with my first choice on the black frame for Dainty Bess. My husband has a better artistic eye than I do and I figured the frame lady probably did also. But since it is my entry I should have picked the one I liked. But it is a good photo regardless.

We are up early this morning to see if we have any fresh flowers to take. It was 100 degrees all week (so crisping and JB), except the last two days where we had heavy rain and temps in the 40s. I looked yesterday and we have very little that survived that and still looks good. But this is just an experiment to understand the process so if we only have 1-5 blooms then so be it.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

They all look great, for what it’s worth I also prefer the black. Good luck!!!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 months ago

I love your Dainty Bess. What a fabulous shot. Sure to be winner.

I have to go with the hubbie on the white mat. It just looks fresh .

Good luck today !

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    4 months ago

Team black mat. Good luck! Did you get a heavy rain then? Ours has been light, but it rained continuously for like a whole day and night so I wonder what that added up to. I've enjoyed the cool temps to be honest. I didn't know there was a rose show going, I wonder if I should give it a go one day.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

We're back from entering. We got there pretty late. We got up at 6 a.m. and got there at 8:30, with just an hour to prep and enter as they were supposed to close off entries at 9:30 but they let everyone keep going until 9:45..

I think my photos compared pretty well to the other entries. Most had black mats. In my glance at the selection, only one other had a white mat. I was surprised how many there were.

We entered 2 roses in the novice class but a whole bunch in the picture frames and bowls. Didn't really have time to do the fancy show prep. All our stuff was wet because it rained last night so we shook them off as best we could and dried them with paper towels.

These are the left overs that we have at home. The big ones are Pretty Lady Rose and honestly I think we should have brought more of these. They were growing on the east side of the house (not the main rose bed so I had forgotten about them) and my husband went and cut everything at the last minute so I only selected a few to bring. But some of these opened really nicely in the house while we were gone and I should have brought them to the show. The small ones (in the dish and the left white vase) were all ones we ended up not entering but had with us at the show.

We had really heavy rain Fri. night and it bent and broke canes, also bent alot or roses. Other people only had mist or light rain.

It was actually pretty fun. I haven't been to the Botanical Gardens at this time of year and it was really colorful.

The show opens at 1 so we may try and get back there around 2. Awards are at 3:45 and clean up is at 4:15. Now to have some lunch. :-)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Magpie, if you have time this afternoon you should go down to the Denver Botanical Garden and check it out. I bet you would enjoy entering. It was more fun than I thought it would be. I especially liked the picture frame class but there are arrangements, bowls and all sorts of categories.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Back from the show. I basically got a bunch of participation ribbons.

I think I was the only person who mounted the photos. Most people taped them to a mat with no foam board. The large majority of photos were out of focus, not centered, and cut off edges. I did learn that the preferred presentation of photos is a single rose on black (probably cloth) background with a black mat. Garden roses not preferred. So basically it is best to cut a rose, put it on a black background and take a photo.

I was very confused by Fred Loads honorable mention as that is the lowest participation award. I talked to the judges and they said the presence of Winnipeg Parks pink in the background was a distraction and basically eliminated it. Didn't matter that it was centered, in focus, great stamens and the lime green of the leaves was in the same intensity as the bright pink of the Winnipeg Parks and the bright orange of Fred Loads so there is good movement of the eye around the photo and a nice balance to it.

In terms of the crowd coming by I saw Dainty Bess getting lots of good comments. I think if it were a vote of attendees Dainty Bess may have won.

In terms of our flowers we got a pile of participation ribbons with first, second and third places. Didn't really expect much of the flowers. We had some better than others and some average. But I couldn't see the rhyme or reason to the judging. I saw some that were quite good that were second or third places with some mediocre judged ahead of them.

One really nice thing with shows is to see the roses that grow in the area and then query the person who brought them to see if you like the characteristics like winter hardiness, how much needs to be cut back in spring, flowering speed, bush form etc. I got some good information.

If there was one I would plant from seeing it at the show it would be Bill Reid. Loved the size of the yellow blooms and it got good reviews by the grower as fast growing. Sort of a medium on hardiness as there is some die back of longer canes but she didn't have it for more than a few years so maybe in future years it will be even more cane hardy.

These were the Bill Reid blooms I liked. They were very large. Can't really tell from the photo how big they were but I would love to have this rose in my garden.

There were a couple of others I liked that the owners said they die to the ground every year so I eliminated them.

Edit: I also really liked a miniature called Cutie Pie. I couldn't get a photo of it because it was behind some others. But I talked to the submitter and it seemed it would be a good addition. It had a light green foliage and the pink and yellow were a similar intensity. I was smitten by the combo. Here it is on High Country Roses.

https://www.highcountryroses.com/shop/modern-roses/miniature-roses/cutie-pie/

• berrypiez6b
    4 months ago

mmmm12COzone5

What a fun event, I bet you are tired out.

I'm sorry the judges were so picky, your Fred Loads photo is exceptional i thought. A handful of judges can be really biased. At some tomato festivals they let the crowd vote and tally up points for the winners - a much better system. Your display looked great, and you get to come home to the best show in your own yard. Thanks for telling us about your day.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks Berrypiez6b,

I'm not displeased with my ribbons but I am discouraged about the type of preferred photos. I can't see myself ever getting interested in taking pictures of cut roses on a black background. I much prefer capturing a garden rose with the variety of backgrounds you find in that setting.

I'm also kind of bummed that I bothered with the mounting portion. It would have been alot easier to just tape the photos into mats as the other entrants did. However, they do look extra sharp mounted on the foam boards so it was a good learning experience if I ever enter a photography contest.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Vaporvac, I am also so bummed you didn't see this. You would have loved it and maybe we could have met to say Hi! Even though the rose show is over the Botanic Gardens is spectacular. I was kicking myself that I didn't take more photos while we were there. I was just wandering around going, wow, this is really spectacular!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Trying to decide if I want to redo the white one with the black mat so I can hang them as a group. Maybe mat some of my others also.

Probably will go get a black mat and backer board to give it a try. I will probably just reprint the photo instead of trying to separate the white backer board from the mat.

I thought I could get them cheaper on line as a bulk purchase but it appears Hobby Lobby has the best prices.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Pic of the assorted ribbons. I don't have all of them since some weren't with the entries. I think it is easy to pick up the wrong tags as they mostly look alike.

This is most of our entered roses along with the ones we didn't bring. A few were taken before we got to them. Someone probably picked them up accidentally or figured they were abandoned so took them home.

One thing I learned is that if you keep the cut rose in the warm house over night it often open's beautifully. We definitely should have cut our roses the night before.

Overall the experience was very positive. The Denver Rose Society members are really nice people. Learning to enter the roses was fun. We didn't do the serious prep work so our roses were mostly filler for the show.

The photography prep was an excellent learning experience. I've never done an art entry and it was really interesting going through the process of learning what to enter, how to enter it and then selecting and prepping my own photos.

• seasiderooftop
    4 months ago

@mmmm12COzone5 Congratulations on entering and going through all the steps in the showing process! What an adventure!

Your roses and photos are so beautiful ! I too prefer the look of a rose in it's natural garden setting over just a black background.

It's great that you got to chat with some of the other participants and find out more about varieties you like. I never thought about that but that alone would be a reason to go to these types of shows, even just as a visitor.

That botanic garden looks amazing!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked seasiderooftop
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida)
    4 months ago

I think they came out really nice! You can always hang them in your home somewhere, give one for a gift, etc. You learned a lot and it sounds like you had some fun talking to others about roses!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida)
  • berrypiez6b
    4 months ago

The County Fair just opened a few days ago. I wish i could have entered a few things but forgot all about it - maybe next year.

At a local Rose Show Erinnerung an Brod won first place in the antique division. I had mine growing at home; it was special to me but I wouldn't have thought it would go over so big to beat out the other incredible OGRs. Everything is worth a try.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

The Hobby Lobby mats were half off today so I got a black one for Dainty Bess.

This is what all three of them look like together with the black mat.

I also laid it on the Easy on the Eyes spray. I really like this photo and may mat it also.

• berrypiez6b
    4 months ago

Yup, that looks great !

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

mmmm - Congratulations! look at all of those ribbons...there are a lot of first place ribbons!! And I love the idea of having all of the pictures in black frames and then hanging them on the wall. And, yes, I think you should frame/hang your Easy on the Eyes spray. :) :)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks all!

I really like Fourth of July matted.

So the 4 I'm thinking of for display are these in this orientation:

Or this orientation:

Fred Loads, Dainty Bess, Fourth of July, Easy on the Eyes.

The two I'm undecided about are Neil Diamond (because the orientation in landscape mode isn't right) and my alternative Fred Loads photo (because I like the other print better).

Easy on the eyes had a white spot on a leaf so I corrected it with a photo editing program called pinta. Just copied a circle above the white spot in a super zoomed in mode, and pasted it over the spot. It looked flawless. Then I sent it to Walmart to print.

Since I was printing a new photo I experimented with a colored pen as the spot was the size of a pen point. I didn't work out so the photo is ruined. Then the one we picked up from the printer was completely different. Very light with all the colors washed out. Not sure if the photo editing program was at fault or if the print equipment was out of calibration.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    4 months ago

Incredible photos

mmmm12COzone5 thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
  • rosecanadian
    4 months ago

They look great! :) :) They'll look great on your wall. Why not just limit it to those 4?

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

rosecanadian,

Right now I like those 4 as a grouping. They all speak to me individually.

Dainty Bess has 5 fresh stamens. I though that was rare to capture. I've also got both Iceberg and Easy on the Eyes in the background.

Easy on the Eyes is one of my favorite looking roses and the photo has alot of depth to it. It's only flaw is the center flower has aged stamens.

Fred Loads isn't a favorite rose but it does photograph spectacularly. I really like the artistry in the photo with the lime green leaves and bright fuchsia of Winnipeg Parks in the background. I think both colors compliment the bright orange of Fred Loads.

Fourth of July flowers always make me happy with their explosive festive look. I rarely get a clear photo of a fresh flower so this one is a treasure. It is in a hot location in my yard so often the petals are crisping.

Entering this competition has changed the way I take rose photos. now if there is a empty stem nearby or a dead flower I will take it off before taking the picture. Can't bring myself to remove side buds though.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

mmmm - in our rose photography (I never entered) they had a category for a spray where there had to be a range of aged blooms...so your picture would probably have won! :) I really, really love that 4th of July pic!!!