SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Annie Laurie McDowell

roseseek
last year
last modified: last year

I have just received word from Steve Singer at Wisconsin Roses he has three ALmD maidens budded to multiflora, left from last year available. The price is $20 each plus shipping. He reports he can probably ship at the end of October. If you're interested, please contact him at wiroses@gmail.com to reserve your plant. Remember, there are only THREE available so he who hesitates misses out!

All three plants are now sold!

Comments (58)

• strawchicago z5
    last year

dianela7bnorthal You are right about your own root Annie being healthy. My Annie survives three zone 5a winters OUTSIDE as own root & never see blackspots on it. It got eaten this July down to 2 inch. by a rabbit, so I put it in a pot, and saw its roots being VERY LONG & THICK and woody (similar to Dr.Huey rootstock). I regret putting its roots in a 7-gallon tall air-pot, a bit too crowded. I should had put its root in a 12-gallon air-pot.

Now it's up to 1 foot & lots of blooms, it recuperated well since roots is big as 4th-year-own root. My 1st Annie died back in 2014 since I didn't dig deep for drainage. Annie can do well as own-root in zone 5a if dug deep for drainage.

I failed to root Annie since rabbits kept eating it so short, but I'll keep it in a pot from now so I can get longer cuttings of it. I need a back up in case my zone 5a winter kill the mother plant. As own-root Annie does better in a pot than in my clay.

There are 2 roses that look fantastic in a pot: Annie and Augusta Luis, both as own-roots.

Annie has the most wonderful scent in the vase. One cluster can perfume the entire room with its lilac and musk scent. One time I was eating a ripe banana 20 feet from Annie, and all I could smell was Annie. Annie's scent was stronger than a ripe banana. Even Golden Celebration (below Annie's cluster) cannot match the intensity of Annie's scent (lilac and musk):

• dianela7analabama
    last year

Sheila I had emailed him but he hadn’t confirmed that I had gotten one. Some other lucky lady or gentlemen got the 2nd one. I could never hate you 🥰. How wonderful it is to see everyone loving and appreciating all these little garden jewels.

OT: This reminds me of another little rose I don’t hear much about. Kendyl Marie. She is a wonderful poly that is 100 percent healthy and blooms nonstop here. I think only Heirloom sells it that I am aware of and totally worth it. She can get to around 3ish feet tall if not pruned.

Looks lile a tiny pomponella

• Related Discussions

Does anyone know/ grow Annie Laurie McDowell

Q

Comments (20)
    @Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal no ma'am, ALmD is NOT difficult to root! It is slower growing own root and demands rigorous deadheading to limit its flowering to force it to grow instead of flowering and that is the complaint. Climbers are traditionally slower to establish into the blooming machines we expect. ALmD is slower to get there because she FLOWERS A LOT! She wants to flower at the expense of growing. Remember the "first year they sleep, second the creep and third they leap"? ALmD remains in year #1 for YEARS if she's allowed to continue flowering a LOT, which she will do unless you pick off the flower buds to force her to mature through years two and three. Once she achieves the larger size, she will explode and pave' herself in blooms. If you don't mind treating it like an infant; keeping it potted and pinching off flower buds for several seasons until it puts out climbing growth and the required root system under it to support the plant, own root can work. So far, none of the nurseries who have attempted offering it own root have grown large enough plants to take decent cuttings from. People have received small cuttings because they have been taken from small potted plants. To make good own root plants, it requires thick, strong cuttings and those only occur on mature, large plants. Those require either budding and culturing or years longer growing in the ground and allowing it to build into the plant you need. EVERY source there has ever been for this rose has been repeatedly advised of this fact, because I told them. If you receive (or received) thin, small rooted pieces, it's because they were snipped from thin, small potted plants instead of what SHOULD have been grown and used to propagate it.
    ...See More

Where to purchase Annie Laurie McDowell

Q

Comments (2)
    I got one several years ago from Burlington Roses. Have you tried emailing Burling?
    ...See More

Annie Laurie McDowell is a "mom"!

Q

Comments (17)
    Congratulations, Kim! Does this mean that you are a proud father? :-) That's a beautiful rose. Medium shrub, few prickles and has enough of a sense of herself to keep you waiting a full week for the unveiling: I like her! As Ingrid noted, she does resemble MFK. I have always been a MFK admirer, but I know some do not like the fact she is prone to vegetative centers. You may have hit on the perfect solution! The bloom color is lovely shade of mellow sunrise, and the burgundy stems are a perfect foil! Carol
    ...See More

Who has Annie Laurie McDowell in SoCal?

Q

Comments (61)
    @purilisaVA-zone7B you're welcome! Don't forget Renae, ALmD's parent. It is also wonderfully shade tolerant, continuous-flowering, remarkably well scented and a gorgeous thing. Renae was the sister of the man in Visalia who owned the drug store. She passed from cancer in the early forties. Mr. Moore named the rose to memorialize her. ALmD inherited her slow-to-start from Renae as well as her lack of prickles, tolerance for shade and delicious scent. Another of Mr. Moore's marvels without prickles is Climbing Yellow Sweetheart. It's also remarkably well scented and a gorgeous thing. Its remarkable story is presented on HMF, written by the late and continuously missed, Jim Delahanty (jimofshermanoaks) and me: "What Was Lost is Found". The rose can be found here. https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.23069 Our article, documenting the resurrection of this desirable rose is here. https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=66.587 
    ...See More
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

Thank you so much for your kindness, Dianela. I guess the other was sold to a mystery buyer. I just assumed no one but us on the forum knew about the opportunity.

I agree these treasures have to be spread around. Nurseries seem to be in a precarious position these days.

That Kendyl Marie is adorable too.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Kendyl Marie is adorable. I am so glad that hybridizers are making NEW polyanthas - a type of rose which can grow in almost any climate and be happy, and fit in any garden.

Jackie

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    last year

Be sure to check out the small multiples section on their website. It looks like there are Stephen Rulos available.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Annie is tough as 4th-year own root in my zone 5a. It didn't sprout a tiny shoot until late June (I thought my winter killed it), then it got eaten by rabbits down to 2" end of July. So I moved it to an air pot and it gave 5 blooms to sniff.

Below 7-gallon pot is too small for its long & chunky root (like Dr.Huey rootstock). I need to move it to a 12-gallon pot later.

See own-root Annie pumping out more buds, pic. taken 9/15/22, it's 100% healthy despite 3 days of constant rain. Pic. taken at 90% humidity.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR did you receive your Annie Laurie McDowell? I have not yet.

last year

I have not yet, Ben. I thought Steve said early November shipping. Depending on the size of plant we receive, I might pot mine. I'm thinking about it.

last year

Thanks Sheila, I must have missed the part about early Nov shipping, and started getting worred that orphan Annie was adrift in our postal system. I’ll defintiely pot mine, I like to be able to control the water, nutrient and light exposure on little plants until they get stronger.

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

I ordered 2 roses from Steve in September, and he said he'd email me my invoice in October. I haven't heard from him yet. Last year, he sent my custom budded roses and 2 others I purchased in mid-to-late November. So maybe he's working on the colder zone folks first?

• roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

His latest Instagram post was two weeks ago showing newly dug maidens being prepared for storage and/or shipment, so, it appears he's working to get them all processed.

last year

Thanks Kim, terrific pic!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

You're welcome, Ben. It's Steve's from his work that day. I love screen shots! LOL!

last year

Susan, Steve already sent my invoice a month ago and I sent him a check which he acknowledged.

If you don't have an invoice yet, I would call him tomorrow.

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

Sheila, last year, Steve sent me my invoice for payment a few days before he shipped all of my roses. So it could be that, being in So. Calif., I was at the end of his list for shipping. But I'll shoot him an email tomorrow just to confirm :-D

• Rosefolly
    last year

Hi Susan, I haven't seen you post for a long time. Nice to see you are seill growing roses!

last year

Annie Laurie McDowell has arrived! @Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR I hope yours has arrived, or is coming soon, too!

@roseseek @susan9santabarbara

Kim and Susan, hoping you can answer some questions, this is my first maiden. I assume for this particular plant the budwood canes have been cut , and all green canes are ALM is that correct? The green canes are over 12” long (much longer than the roots) should I trim them short or just let them be? thank you!

• Ken Wilkinson
    last year

I've been growing maidens from Steve for several years. The top of the multiflora root stock has already been cut, so yes, all the green canes are ALM. Just pot it up and water it. You will be happy with it.

last year

How wonderful, Ben! Steve is going to ship mine 11/14/22 because I am out of town ATM. Steve told me on the phone that these are regular grafted plants so all the green would be Annie and you just handle them like a regular grafted rose.

Ben yours looks wonderful. I would not prune at all, but let the plant grow from here. Annie is going to do great for us grafted and should be a climber.

Your new plant is much larger than the own root bands I received from Burling and mine are going great from her, but I know grafted from Steve will be stronger. I can't wait!

Hi Elon too.

last year

Thank you Sheila and Ken! Sheila, I’m also surprised by how big the plant is. For comparison, Elon is a big Chihuahua (I stopped weighing him at 12 lbs)

• roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

@BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) Congratulations! That is NOT a "maiden". That IS a "bare root"! Look here at Steve's site about maidens. http://www.wiroses.com/maiden_explanation.html You can plant this thing as it is, though I WOULD mound it until new growth begins which indicates it is generating new feeder roots and will be able to support itself. You're far from the safety of "winter" and reliable "rains" to keep it hydrated until it's fully settled in. What I have traditionally done with bare roots is to plant them in five gallon nursery cans. Plant it at the depth you normally would plant it but don't fill the pot yet.

Create a cylinder from corrugated cardboard which will slide inside the mouth of the pot several inches and stand to nearly the height of the plant's canes. You want the ends of the cylinder to overlap so once it is filled with wet soil, the pot will keep it from opening. Unless you want to reduce the canes' lengths, it isn't necessary, but can be done. Slip the cylinder into the pot and position it so only the top inch or two of the canes protrude above its sides. Continue filling the cylinder with the potting soil you've used to plant the bare root and water it in to settle the soil. Keep filling until only the top very few inches of the canes remain uncovered by the soil. Keep the pot watered as you would normally for a newly potted bare root. As new growth begins, you can begin gradually removing soil from the cylinder to slowly harden the plant off to the hotter, brighter, drier conditions.

The entire idea is to keep the plant cool, dark and damp to encourage it to develop roots. Exposing the canes to warm sunlight encourages them to break into growth before it begins growing roots. This is why people have trouble with planting bare roots which start leafing out and may even form flower buds, then collapse and die. They are using the stored nutrients in the plant it would normally depend upon to break from dormancy and into growth in the spring, instead of creating roots to support itself while growing. As more growth appears on the canes, more soil can be removed from the cylinder until you've uncovered them and the cylinder can be removed from the pot. At that point, you have a leafed out plant with a pot full of roots, hardened off to the prevailing conditions and actually ready to plant in the ground where you want to plant it. Using the cylinder method to mound them in pots, I have NEVER lost a bare root and have actually resurrected quite a few "dried out" plants I likely should have given up on.

If you are ready to plant it in the ground, you can do the same mounding with either a large, free standing mound, or you can use the cylinder like in a pot but you'll need to either tie it closed or securely staple it to prevent the weight of the wet soil from pushing the sides open and allowing the soil to escape. Just keep watering the plant through the top of the cylinder as long as it's in place. I hope I've explained it appropriately. Please ask if I've not explained it well enough. Congratulations! I'm delighted there are now a few more budded ALmD plants "out there" I'm sure you're going to love her!

last year

I am shocked at the size too, Ben. Thank you so much for the photo and I'll post one too when I get mine.

last year

Kim,

Thanks for the detailed insturctions, much appreciated. I have always mounded my bare root plants (usually with an inverted pot, bottom cut off), but I’ll follow all your advice.

Sheila,

Look forward to your plant!

roseseek thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • susan9santabarbara
    last year

I received my two budded maidens from Steve today, and mine have the normal bud of the desired rose in the carved out spot near the base. I potted both of mine up with the bud slightly above the soil line. But if you think they're not normal budded maidens, you should contact Steve. The normal instructions are to wait until the top canes (which are multiflora, as are the roots) start to leaf out, then cut the whole thing off above the bud to allow the desired budded rose to develop. This has always been my process with roses from Steve.

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

Here are Steve's specific instructions on how to deal with his budded maidens: http://www.wiroses.com/instructions.html

last year

Steve told me on the phone that all that does not apply to these ALMs. The tops are ALM.

roseseek thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Sheila. You can see just from looking at them they AREN'T maidens but ARE ALmD bare roots. Ben's photos clearly show the stock has been removed and the canes all come directly from the inserted bud. He did a NICE job of them! And that growth in the months from budding until shipping? Not bad for a rose that "won't grow"!

last year

I totally agree, Kim, with what a wonderful job Steve has done and the boost ALM is getting from the grafted rootstock. I think this was all your idea and it was a great one for your treasure of a rose.

My own root two are doing very well here too.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

I'm glad they're doing well, Sheila. You're a good "rose mom"! I'm also happy Steve has been willing to bud ALmD, Grey Pearl, Golden Oldie, Cl Columbia from my garden and so many others from other sources. I have stated for several decades now, I NEVER want to hold the last unicorn and have it die with me. It's why I funneled all of those garbage bags full of cuttings through Sequoia and brought everything I could trade and beg from all over the country through The Huntington Library mist propagator for years and into nurseries and gardens all over. Hopefully some of them survive me, not that I have any intentions of leaving any time soon!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

That's gorgeous, Sheila!

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

I thought it was a painting, Sheila. The pink of the sky and the pink of the rose together--exquisite. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

Kim, Ben and Sheila: serves me right for looking at pics and making a comment right before going to bed! It's very obvious looking at Ben's pics that the new growth is coming from the budded part and the top has been cut off. Duh... sorry about that. And I do already know to never question Kim's advice :-D

roseseek thanked susan9santabarbara
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    last year

Every photo of ALM makes my heart skip a beat. I want to add that in my experience this is one super tough rose that can withstand all sorts of neglect. I ordered mine from Steve last year. It was delivered in the spring just before the heat wave and other diversions prevented me from following Steve's directions. It remained on the rootstock for months and grew very little, with all the growth going to the stock plant. I was finally able to separate them and expected poor little ALM's two tiny leaves to crumble and die, but she remained healthy and started producing lots of new growth. She was on her own for a few more months while I was unable to do anything for her except hope for the best. After I potted her up she literally took off making up for neglect and time lost. She is waiting out winter in the garage to be planted in the spring. The poor little thing has had the worst possible beginning after leaving her WI home, but is showing remarkable will to live. Thank you Kim, for giving us this lovely, determined rose. I love her already.

roseseek thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Susan, but if you knew how many "brain farts" I experience...LOL!

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

Kim, you're being very kind. When I re-read the thread today, Sheila clearly stated that Steve told her the multiflora had already been cut off, and this was before my post last night. I'm embarrassed, but it happens :-D

roseseek thanked susan9santabarbara
  • roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

We all have them, so no worries. Nothing to be embarrassed about. What's a boo-boo among friends?

last year

Here is mine from Steve at wiscroses!!!

I think it looks wonderful! I'm sure it would have done well just planted out in the ground too. It is very well rooted too. Thank you Kim and Steve!!!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

Wonderful, Sheila! I'm delighted Annie is 'making the rounds"!

last year

Sheila,

Looks like we both lucked out with terrific plants! I noticed the feeder roots were still fresh and plump, no storage, so the plant should be ready to go! I planted mine too, housing courtesy of Monrovia, Amazon Prime and Gorilla Tape.

Thanks to Kim and Steve for such a great rose, thanks everyone for the great advice, I’m very much looking forward to growing ALM.

last year

Yours looks great, Ben. I see you are following Kim's best idea on the soil piling around the canes. I put mine in the cool shade and it looked so fresh as far as the roots and canes and moist that I did not cover it.

I definitely would have covered in warmer weather like you did. I have never lost a newly planted rose here.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

Perfect, Ben! I've done precisely that for literally a few decades and it works. Gurney Seed once sold heavy plastic plant guards which were flat sheets with tabs and slots (like your cardboard if it were laid out as one sheet) they used to help pile mulch around plants for "winter protection". They were perfect for this use and cheap (at the time). I used them for nearly 15 years until they were too brittle and fell apart. Card board was next and I found stapling them also works well for the length of time they are required, but tap is fine, too. Whatever works. I harvested some ALmD blooms this afternoon for pollen as a few things I wish to use it on will be in flower before I can count on blooms for pollen. It smells SO good! Natural light.

Flash

"Potpourri"

• roseseek
    Original Author
    last year

Perfect, Ben! I've done precisely that for literally a few decades and it works. Gurney Seed once sold heavy plastic plant guards which were flat sheets with tabs and slots (like your cardboard if it were laid out as one sheet) they used to help pile mulch around plants for "winter protection". They were perfect for this use and cheap (at the time). I used them for nearly 15 years until they were too brittle and fell apart. Card board was next and I found stapling them also works well for the length of time they are required, but tap is fine, too. Whatever works. I harvested some ALmD blooms this afternoon for pollen as a few things I wish to use it on will be in flower before I can count on blooms for pollen. It smells SO good! Natural light.

Flash

"Potpourri"

last year

Don't you worry, Kim, mine is going to work too. I agree Ben did a great job.

11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

She blooms! I have about 12 little buds and blooms from Annie! I made a little video of my plant below:

Thanks to @roseseek and Steve Singer for the opportunity to get this plant, and everyone else for the helpful input!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    11 months ago

That looks like a wonderful plant, Ben! My own ALM plants, six of them along a fence, are all doing well and loading up with buds! This is the first spring I’m not going out and picking off the buds. I got mine as bands from Rose Petal Nursery in September of 2021. The first year I only allowed minimal bloom because I was trying to encourage the energy flow to go toward plant building instead of blooming. (Mine are own root, not budded.) The blooms I did get were nothing short of decadent. This spring after pruning they put out lots of new growth and basal canes and I was so excited! Then we had that late freeze and it singed off a lot of that fresh growth, so it set them back. But they are recovering and are looking like they will be gorgeous in a a week or two.

roseseek thanked judijunebugarizonazn8
  • librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    11 months ago

WowWow, look at those buds! I look forward updates from everyone as their plants grow. 😍

This is onon my one day wish list.... But I'll need totofind a place for climber first. Right now I'll enjoy all of your lovely plants. a

roseseek thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
  • Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    11 months ago

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

That is one spectacular picture of Annie. Art.

11 months ago

Judi

That ALM looks so healthy. You are far more disciplined than I am, if a rose sets buds, I want to see those blooms!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    11 months ago

Ha, Ben! I did let a few bloom because I was so curious and HAD to see and smell a few. But I felt very responsible to give these little plants the best possible outcome because I knew how hard they are to come by and felt so fortunate to have found the six I wanted. I’m grateful to report that all six are doing splendidly and thriving here. So I’m very excited for the show this year!

roseseek thanked judijunebugarizonazn8