SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyandalex

Remove 2nd story of house that was originally single-story?

daisyandalex
last year
last modified: last year

Hello,

We have a house in the family that was originally a single story, but my ex-step mother added a 2nd story after she moved in. I want to know if it's feasible to remove the 2nd story and revert the house back to a single story? I know it would be a big undertaking, but I want to get a sense of just how big? House is in California.

I have not seen the house since the 2nd story has been added (ex-step mom still lives there but legally has to move out next year). I believe the 2nd story does not cover the entirety of the 1st story's footprint, I think it's only above part of the 1st story. Would this make a big difference, whether or not the 2nd story covers the full footprint or not?

My preference would be to remove the entirety of the 2nd story as I do not like 2-story houses in general, but I could be open to removing the floor to have high ceilings and maaaybe a loft. Would that be a significantly less undertaking?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: This place has a lot of sentimental value so while I’m aware this isn’t an ideal situation, I’d really like to learn more about the process so I can make my own decision if it's worth it or not.

Comments (11)