SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_parker92

How to best use the space in our small kitchen

Katie Parker
last year
last modified: last year

I was blown away by the wealth of ideas and suggestions on my recent post about flooring, and several commenters gave helpful thoughts about our kitchen design as well. I read the kitchen design FAQs and here is the requested info:

Who lives here: two parents in late 40s and two teens

Goals: more counter space for baking and if possible a small seating area for 1-2 people

Kitchen workers: sometimes two people baking together, all other times one person cleaning or cooking

Do we cook: nothing fancy but yes, basic meals like pasta, tacos, burgers

How do we see kitchen being used: cooking and cleaning but would love some way for one person to sit down while another works (ie a small peninsula?). We end up with one person working in the kitchen and another leaning against the cabinets so the two can talk. Would like to better accommodate that situation, and also the situation where one person cooks their own meal and eats alone. Could a very small peninsula work with this small space?

Entertain a lot: some, but when we do we have a big backyard we use

We do not expect to make this kitchen a big hang out place. The large adjacent family/dining area serves this purpose.

We don’t want to open the space and we are open to closing the pass through

We are flexible on location of all appliances as well as the sink. We want a range instead of the wall oven. Smaller is fine. We will probably switch to a counter depth fridge. We have and are used to a 24 in dishwasher. We can move plumbing and gas and want to fill in the side door.

On a daily basis we use the toaster oven AND traditional toaster, AND microwave! Fine with microwave drawer. Would like to hide but have access to the toaster and toaster oven if possible. Other small appliances all get stored away and pulled out from time to time.

This kitchen is falling apart and we’re gearing up to replace everything. There really isn’t quite enough counter space. We are planning to close the little side door as we don’t need it. I agree It should be replaced with a window, although the view is unfortunately a dilapidated fence.

Can you see any way to get a small bit of seating? It can be one or two stools that are usually tucked away. I know it will never be a huge seating space given these dimensions. One area to consider using is the blank wall opposite the kitchen. Several neighbors have turned it into a pantry wall. Our archway is unique to our house and might interfere with doing that. We are open to some structural changes and the budget allows for it.

I am technologically challenged but i have sketched the dimensions. Im also attaching plans that were done three years ago that we don’t want to use because you lose too much kitchen and need posts (this is the original back wall of the house). Note that these plans involved eliminating the arch and pulling an island slightly into the current walkway. Other photos show the full layout.

I hope I have provided enough info and would love any suggestions. We’re hiring a designer but the power of many suggestions from different perspectives is so helpful!!

Thank you!!

Comments (7)