SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oneridgeoffwhereicouldbe

Need layout advice - lots of space for creativity, how best to use it?

OneRidgeOff
6 years ago

Hello, I've been lurking for awhile on the kitchens forum, and I'm continuously amazed how much there is to learn from the folks here. We moved into our shed style/contemporary home in West Virginia two years ago, plenty of time to understand the space better, and what I like about it. But now we are ready to gut this sad sorry kitchen and start over! It's all original 1982 kitchen, built-in appliances are failing, and we hate the layout, with a breakfast room we don't need or use, and the cooktop in a peninsula with no ventilation. We are a family of four, I do most of the cooking, although husband and kids get recruited to help out. A previous home of ours had a big hangout style island, and we miss having that feature, we used it ourselves almost daily, as well as entertaining guests.

Our main goals for this kitchen are to demolish the existing peninsula that breaks this space into kitchen and breakfast room, turn the two rooms into one big kitchen space with a large island in center, and put a 36" rangetop in a better location for ventilation. Since the current peninsula is on its way to the dumpster, we need to find a new location for a single wall oven/microwave stack. I would really prefer to keep the current size of all existing windows, the room is filled with light all day - the sink wall faces east, the opposite west wall has a sliding glass door to our grilling/dining deck, plus a wide opening to a living/dining space which brings in lots of light from that area as well. I'm very happy with the main sink as it is now, under the window-love my view of the woods and wildlife. We think the best place for the new gas rangetop is the exterior wall between the two east facing windows - but we are open to suggestions on that, and just about everything else.

One feature I insist on is a one level island, granite counter with no seam, no sink, and room for four counter height stools. I've read the debates on sinks in islands, and I'm sure I don't want one- really want the uninterrupted space to spread out upon. I would consider a secondary sink in a perimeter location. A new feature I would like is a beverage center area with undercounter fridge (coffee in the morning, beer at night lol) somewhere outside of the main work zone.

I got our first preliminary layout back from the kitchen designer, I think its a good start, but would love to hear any critiques and suggestions.

The left half of the room is currently an empty space, the former breakfast room, with an alcove containing a rather odd and ugly deep bench- this is also dumpster-bound. This plan has the oven stack in the alcove, with pantry cabinets around, and not sure if this is the best way to use this 'new' space. Will it look strange having this interrupted cabinet run? And where do hot pans from the oven land? To the right is a large window, too low for a cabinet run at 27" from floor, but I daydream of a window seat under it - I know my dogs would love it as a perch to watch squirrels and deer -with this proposed layout, a window seat would be awkward.

The wall adjoining the left of alcove is a proposed beverage center, thinking this is a good place for a secondary sink, shown here as a circle. One issue, there are two HVAC air returns on the floor/close to this wall, waiting to hear from our HVAC guys if we can use some sort of toe-kick ducting system, to use that whole wall as a cabinet run without running new ducts; HVAC vents are shown as little striped rectangles, current plan shown here is to stop cabinet run before the vents, which I think is going to look strange! Does anyone know if toe kick ducts work with a return register? Or cabinets with furniture style open toe-kick? Alternatively, - just forget this as a beverage center location, leave vents as is, and put a piece of furniture like a Hoosier cabinet or buffet there, which is what another kitchen designer suggested. The plan shows a potential butlers pantry area on the right, it is currently a wide empty hallway leading to laundry and garage. Since its so convenient to the garage where groceries come in, we are now leaning towards making that a walk-through pantry with open wire shelving, to save a bit on cabinet costs-I love the idea of a Walk in Closet of Food! and/or incorporating the beverage center idea here instead.

As you can see, I am having a hard time deciding how to use this new surplus of space! Looking forward to hearing the opinions of the wise minds of this forum!

Comments (23)