SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_689220100

Custom home floor plan feedback, round 1 of ?

Lizz
last year
last modified: last year

Hi everyone! First time poster, long time lurker of the design and home building forums here. I have a first draft floorpan for you all to pick through and would love your feedback.

A few comments on the phase we are in and other things you might want clarified:

• DH and I have been working with a local architect on floor plan, site plan, and the wants/needs/wishes for this new home.
  • We have iterated through the floor plan with him to the point that I think we’re pretty happy and are about to let him loose on sketching up elevations and putting the detail into exterior design (which I know will impact some of what I show here since none of these walls are “real”)
  • As we have been focusing on the flow room to room, we have not spent time on windows/doors/etc so please consider them only as notional. If you have a burning desire to comment on the bare lines where a window might go, please do, but just know that part is not even close to a first draft. I’ll make note though.
  • Kitchen design is so far just from the architect with some nudges/direction from me (through my reading on this forum). Before we get into detailed framing/construction drawings, we will delve deeper into the kitchen design and potentially pull in a KD, but undecided — if we can work with a cabinet maker the architect recommends, I might try to skip the KD… perhaps that is a conversation for another thread.
  • We don’t have our builder yet, so costs are… unknown. We have been eyeing what is going on in the market/supply chain so have not been in a huge hurry, but after we get the next set of drawings from the architect, we’ll need to start having real conversations and find someone we like/trust to quote us. (gulp)

Stuff about the home (feel free to skip ahead to pictures now if this is getting too long-winded):

• The drawings are north-up, the road (and only neighbor) is to the south. Our best view is south-east through a maze of trees, hence the funky turn the house takes to face it. North is backed by greenbelt/ravine. West up a distance is someone else’s backyard, mostly trees as well. The full lot is not shown, but it’s just shy of 1 acre and we're building more on the east half.
  • The garage is big. DH’s hobby is working on, racing, and perhaps breaking cars (and on and on). So this was actually not as bad as it could be, but that won’t get smaller. If you’re curious, the far left bay is for the lift and assortment of cabinets/equipment, and there is a pull-through door to park a trailer blissfully hidden behind the mass of the house.
  • You can see some contours called out, this is oriented with a walk-out basement to the southeast.
  • The basement has a spot for the pool table, and the couch area will have the only planned TV in the home.
  • Main floor formal dining and living rooms for enjoying company and the view. The attached deck needs a more definition — it’s just a large space claim at the moment, and will come into vision with the elevations.
  • Top floor is the owner’s suite of sorts (the bedroom to the west is our office). It’s just the two of us (plus dog and cat, might get another dog after we build to de-stress with a high-energy puppy).

Basement:

Main:

Top:

Have at it! I’m curious what you all think :)

Comments (50)