SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annegriet

What do you use a spare bedroom for?

Annegriet
last year

Good morning. Just curious what everyone uses a spare bedroom for? Office? Guest room? Exercise? Library? Dressing room? I'm looking at a condo with 2 bedrooms. I'll be living alone. I don't anticipate having overnight guests often. The room is small-- 10 x 11.

Comments (47)

• dedtired
    last year

I have three bedrooms. One is my bedroom, one is justt a guest room although the drawers and closets hold plenty of stuff and the third is a home office/ guest room combo. i have few over night guests.

Annegriet thanked dedtired
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

We have 3 bedrooms and a study. When the grandkids were small we used both spare bedrooms for them and also for their parents who occasionally stayed with us. My sewing machine also resides in one of them. Now that they are much older, we don’t have much out of town company so I’m thinking of turning one into a workout room (the one with the sewing machine).

I think with a very small room, I might look into a Murphy bed that could be out of the way if you needed the space for other things like to workout or a desk. Small-space furniture has come a long way.

Annegriet thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Related Discussions

Spare Bedroom Painting

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm a little scared of a store that doesn't have powdered Dirtex...AND INSTEAD recommeds the horrendously smelly "no sand"-type products. In fact, just today, I ordered another case of Dirtex for our freight next Tuesday. If I was doing your trim... * Lightly wash with the Dirtex. * Return the ungodly smelly Gloss-off. * Get a 100-grit sanding sponge, and do a thorough/even scuff-sanding of all trim. * Sand to an evenly dull surface. * NOTHING substitutes for the ACTUAL PHYSICAL PROFILE that a good sanding provides. * Use any decent wood-filler that will harden & is paintable. * Fill holes/dents SLIGHTLY proud, let dry, and carefully sand flush. * Remove every molecule of dust, and prime. If necessary, you can sand most primers, IF they've dried at least a half-day. NOW...you've got a clean, sanded, re-leveled, primed surface that will hold paint VERY WELL. Painter's-caulks...used for your exact project! (Check its dry-times) Practice running thin beads at the tops of the trim, inside corners, and where door/window casings meet the wall. Have fun prepping the right way! Faron
    ...See More

spare bedroom twin or daybed?

Q

Comments (30)
    DancingQueen, If you like the one with circles, here is a similar one from Allbed, in metal instead of wood: I don't like the higher arm that the metal one has but it still has a different look than the typical daybed. I think the lower arms and back is what makes the West Elm daybed look so refreshing. Most daybeds being sold look like baby cribs: This one I imagined was Martha Stewart's prison cell - standard issue cot with pillows added to soften the harsh angles, probably embroidered with dental floss. The other popular style daybeds have is the barn animal feed bin look: And then of course the hospital exam table look: If the daybed will be used as a sofa more often than as a bed for sleeping try getting one that is not twin size, but rather a cot size. It will be more comfortable for seating and still double as a bed for an overnight guest, and not take up so much floor space in a tiny room. This Harry Probber cot sized daybed is not as deep as a twin size. This one here also is a cot size and make seating easier but the cool thing about it is that it opens to form a much larger bed: The bed I posted earlier a few posts back not only is a single size daybed but converts to a queens size sleeping arrangement OR two singles. Plenty of options for overnight guests.
    ...See More

Spare Bedroom: Need Bedding Ideas

Q

Comments (54)
    Quick update and many, many thanks to everyone who offered ideas and suggestions: All bedding ordered on ebay, and all received. I ordered the RL comforter, top sheet, pillowcases and sham in the discontinued Putney pattern. The Sferra Bros. matelasse coverlet is also from ebay, another jynx find :) After spending hours in the two best Atlanta fabric houses (Lewis and Sheron and Forsyth Fabrics), I went to Lenox with my daughter and found the perfect---and I mean PERFECT---curtains at (of all places!) Pottery Barn Kids. We were there looking for a present for my nephew! $80 per panel for 96" length, lined curtains that can be used with drapery pins or directly on the pole. (I stuck them up on a rod I had around just to see what they'd look like.) At Ballard Designs Backroom I found a large mirror with useful hooks on both sides (this will have to be hung by our handyman) and a tall corner shelf. Both had minor scratches and were about 1/2 off. I brought up from the summer kitchen downstairs a table my mother had given me years ago, made of blue and white pottery shards, and brought up an extra Parsons chair to replace the kitchen French Country kitchen chair. I found the tan windowpane slipcover at Ballards, also. Two wall-mounted, swing-arm lamps have been ordered in antique brass for either side of the bed, and I am still looking for a candle lantern in dull brass to go on the right side of the armoire (to replace the clock) and another painting or print for the wall that joins that corner at right angles. Also looking for blue/white porcelain finials in a round ball shape for the wall lamps, and plan to unearth my Christmas plates and hang them this weekend! the table I already had:
    ...See More

Access Laundry Room through spare bedroom?

Q

Comments (5)
    A friend's house has the laundry room on the 2nd floor. I was there once while a load was running. Noise transmission into the living room below sounded like a train rumbling through. Her washer at the time (maybe is still now) was a Whirlpool toploader (I could tell what it was doing by the noises, LOL). I don't know any details on the construction of the house, noise abatement efforts and such.
    ...See More
  • lucillle
    last year

My office (desk, chair, computers, file cabinet) and my plant/African violet collection.

Annegriet thanked lucillle
  • arcy_gw
    last year

Presently we have three 'empty' bedrooms. All are set for the offspring that grew up in them upon their returns. WE have discussed moving the computer up from it's spot in the basement but that seems silly to crowd a space so they all are just there holding extra things in the closets--off season clothes/linens waiting for visitors. My folks moved into a three bedroom senior apartment complex with a ton of amenities in house for them. The each have an office. There is no bed for visitors. Granted the visitors would be few as most of their off spring live in the same town. Still it leaves two of us with no way to visit them or anywhere for a care giver to add support when one of the two end up in the hospital. I would say always have something--pull out couch, bed for even the rare guest. I learn a lot from the choices my folks have made. Mostly I will do other than as they did.

Annegriet thanked arcy_gw
  • Uptown Gal
    last year

I have 3 Bedrooms too...one Master Bedroom, one Office and one Guest room.

Annegriet thanked Uptown Gal
  • eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

We have four bedrooms. We now have two for our home offices. Mine can double as a guest room.

We also have a finished basement with a sleeper sofa.

You will figure it out. Although you don't anticipate overnight guests, life has a way of changing and you might need extra sleeping accommodations.

I would consider a love seat sleeper sofa.

I guess if worse came to worse you could purchase a blowup bed that can be easily stored.

Annegriet thanked eld6161
  • nickel_kg
    last year

Technically we have four upstairs bedrooms. One is our master, one is DH's study, one is our sitting/library. Fourth and smallest is for guests -- barely room for a double bed, dresser, and the steps into the attic. We don't have long term visitors.

Annegriet thanked nickel_kg
  • Elizabeth
    last year

My sister had a comfortable reading chair, double bed and nightstand in an upstairs office room. It was a rather large room and was quite attractive with hardwood floors, Persian style rugs and large sunny windows.

When not in use, our guest rooms have sheets draped over the furniture and doors closed. Our loft bedroom is usually a napping room for the cat.

Summer is our "busy season" here on the lake.

Annegriet thanked Elizabeth
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

No kids, three bedrooms, small house. we each have an office and we sleep in the third . The closet in DH’s office has also become 60% mine. We have a twin blow up bed as well as a hotel about a mile and a half away to accomodate the occasional guest.

Annegriet thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

We have a guest room. We also have a craft room, an exercise room and an office. My old aunt, RIP, used one of her spare bedrooms just for the cat.

It's really a matter of how you spend your time and what you'd want it to do for you...a reading nook? Library? A meditation room? A dressing room?

Have fun thinking about it!

Annegriet thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Judy Good
    last year

Our spare bedroom is my sewing room and also our granddaughter's crib.

Annegriet thanked Judy Good
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

We have 3 bedrooms. They are all on the second floor. We built this house in 1991, and had a first floor bedroom then but that became a walk-through office when we put a large addition on in 1999, now our master bedroom is on the second floor of the addition. We have two separate staircases to get up to the bedrooms. The larger of the original bedrooms we keep furnished for guests with a queen sized bed, reading chair and ottoman, large closet and ensuite bath. The seond one up there is actually a sleeping loft. It has a daybed with a pop-up trundle and shares the bath with the other bedroom. It hasn't been used in years - I use it for storage and really need to sort that stuff out and get rid of most of it. We don't have as many visitors as we did in the past.

Annegriet thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Jasdip
    last year

3 bedroom apartment. One master, the second is fairly large where my desk and computer is, plus the recycling bins, boxes that I keep for potential returns under warranty (air-fryer, etc). These will also be given to a friend for a potential move.

The 3rd bedroom is quite small, a table and the computer that hubby used. It also has the freezer and a mini-frig. We put a metal storage unit in and use it as the pantry.

Annegriet thanked Jasdip
  • sal 60 Hanzlik
    last year

3 bedrooms--one is a tv room.

Annegriet thanked sal 60 Hanzlik
  • lily316
    last year

Four large bedrooms on the second floor. The front one with the fireplace is mine, the back one with the huge greenhouse window with the garden view is his, the smaller one is the library and the other large front one was my daughters and is still set up as a bedroom although we don't get guests. My office/computer room is the bright sunroom on the first floor.

Annegriet thanked lily316
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

We have 6 bedrooms at primary home, one is on the 1st floor, we use it as a 2nd office (mine)/GYM room, 5 bedrooms are on the 2nd floor, one is MBR, one is DD's, she is in med school, comes home on school breaks. The 3rd one is a guest room, but right now it has many of my winter coats in there for the summer (AC temp control). Two other bedrooms are for son to visit, he uses one as a bedroom, the other bedroom has a build-in twin bed, and an extra large table, he uses it as his office when he is here. Son's two bedrooms are located in the maid quarters (back wing), and have a full bath in between.

At weekend place, there are 7 bedrooms in the main house. we rent out the in-law apt, it has 2 bedrooms 1 bath, kitchen and living dining area, it's about 600 sq ft, since we weren't using it, someone we knew asked if her brother could rent it. it was never listed for rent The remaining 5 bedrooms, 3 are on the 2nd floor, they are used as bedrooms. Two for the kids and one is MBR. The two bedrooms on the 1st floor are used as 2 offices.

We keep the bedrooms for two kids at both places, one comes back every chance she could get, and stays with us for about 1 month per year, the other, we haven't seen him in a year. His 3 bedrooms/office can also be used as guest rooms I guess.

Annegriet thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • ginrummy53
    last year

We have 2 bedrooms and a den. The main bedroom with king bed is DH’s and the smaller front bedroom with queen is mine. The den will be my puzzle room and my DH built two twin sized horizontal murphy beds for guests in there. Now we just have to figure out how to put doors on the den without major reno since it is right next to the living area and kitchen.

Annegriet thanked ginrummy53
  • Lars
    last year

In L.A. and Cathedral City, our spare bedrooms (one in each location) are used as offices by my brother because he works from home two days a week. We have air mattresses in both locations so that we can accommodate overnight guests, but we rarely have those. We have queen and twin bed options in L.A. but only a twin in Cathedral City because we have a sofa in the office there as well as an "L" shaped desk that takes up a lot of room. One person could sleep on the sofa and one could sleep on the twin air mattress, but when our sister and BIL visited, Kevin slept in the office and let them use his bedroom.

I used to use the third bedroom in L.A. as a sewing room, but now I have to use the dining room/art studio, but I do most of my sewing in Cathedral City, especially since I am now there often alone, since Kevin has to go back to his office in Culver City three days a week. There is only a desk with office chair in that room, plus a couple of unobtrusive bookcases. There is a lot of space leftover, and I keep my large yoga mat folded up in there.

I do have friends from San Francisco and Sacramento who come to visit from time to time, and our niece will be staying with us in both locations at the end of this month through Labor Day. Our sister has not visited us since Aug 2019, and because her husband has rather advanced Alzheimer's, he is not able to travel, and she will not leave him by himself. He has a couple of sons in Austin that he could stay with, but he needs to be watch 24 hours.

Annegriet thanked Lars
  • maifleur03
    last year

This house having been built in the 50s then added on in the 60s now has only two bedrooms. It had an apartment in the basement with an illegal non-accessible to the outside bedroom until it flooded. For years the only thing in one were two desks that my husband absolutely had to have and a twin bed pressed against the wall. Now it is a junk room and came in handy the last two years for supply storage.

I do find it interesting what people consider small vs large rooms. When we were looking most of the master bedrooms were 10x12 with the other rooms less than that. My husband wanted this house and probably would have purchased it anyway but the main bedroom is 15x18. In houses of this age unless bigger it they had three bedrooms the larger could hold a queen bed with space to walk around and the other rooms were smaller than that.

Annegriet thanked maifleur03
  • Cherryfizz
    last year

Mine was used as a storage room. I had 5 dressers in there and I used the drawers for storage. There was also a single bed and the closet was used to hold my seasonal clothing. I kept all my craft supplies in there as well and winter bedding, extra pillows. When my brother moved in I gave up that room and all my stuff has been moved upstairs into the attic except for the furniture. I miss having use of that room. I also haven't been able to get upstairs to access my things either.

Annegriet thanked Cherryfizz
  • JustDoIt
    last year

I have a 2 bedroom house. The 2nd bedroom is very small and use it for an exercise room. It also is the home for the ironing board.

Annegriet thanked JustDoIt
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

One spare room still has my son's crap in it and the other one on the main floor is for company and my office. The bedroom in the basement is used for storage right now but it does have a bed in it too.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

@Cherryfizz - I can't get upstairs to access any of the things I have up on the second floor of our house, either...

Annegriet thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • wildchild2x2
    last year

We are aging in place. Don't worry about resale and we don't normally host overnight guests. Still in the process of decluttering and changing spaces to suit us. 4 bedrooms. Master bedroom stays as is. I have my own bedroom as a get away space when the world becomes too overwhelming with my Meniere's Disease. It's my quiet space. It can double as a guest room but I don't have overnight guests other than my best friend who dog sits. Another is office/sewing/multipurpose. The third was in the process of becoming a seasonal storage/ extra pantry space with freezer and extra fridge/ laundry room. We have purchased cabinetry for two walls and a sink. The sink stays but the area left for the laundry portion will end up with saddle holders and tack space will be added to the room's descriptions. As long as I can ride I guess I can walk to the garage for to wash and dry clothes. :-) Life is fluid and our home reflects that.

Annegriet thanked wildchild2x2
  • Lindsey_CA
    last year

Our house has four bedrooms. One is downstairs, and that's the guest room. Upstairs, the master bedroom is where we sleep. One of the other two upstairs bedrooms is set up as an office for my Hubs, and the other one is where I am now -- my office.

Annegriet thanked Lindsey_CA
  • jill302
    last year

We have 4 bedrooms; 1 we sleep

in snd one is my office. Until very recently the other two were my husband’s offfice and a wedding supply storage/guest room. Now the later 2 are empty waiting for my MIL to move in to them.

Annegriet thanked jill302
  • salonva
    last year

We have 3 bedrooms upstairs so the biggy is the master bedroom. We do have a regualr, normal, attractive guest room with a queen bed . The other bedroom has a twin hi-riser and some bedroom furniture. I thought when my grandkids sleep over, they would sleep in that room. Well right now, it also has a packnplay in addition to the bed and dressers and desk.

We don't have many sleepover guests, but we are having friends driving up from Florida come and stay for several days starting this weekend. Then about 3 weeks ago we had another couple come and stay for 2 nights. About 2 months before that, we had my sister and bro in law stay over for a night.

I think maybe we are making up for the covid shutdown. In any case, I love being able to host them.

I have toyed with trying to make a reading room out of the twin bedroom or something along those lines.

We have a large finished basement which is half play room for the grands, and DH has his man cave and office set up. I need my space.

Annegriet thanked salonva
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

I had a small spare room in my condo - about the same size - and I used it as a kind of craft room, for whatever craft-ish thing I was doing at the time. Sometimes sewing, sometimes models, sometimes making jewelry. It had a table/chair, good lighting, and an extra TV. I knew I would rarely have guests, so i got a good quality inflatable bed to have on standby, in case someone needed to crash for the night after too much to drink or a car problem or something. In my new home, I have a smaller room (about 8x10) that I use for a craft room, and an actually guest room with a regular queen bed in it. Now that I'm no longer in the city, my sister may visit more often (in the city, she had another place to stay).

Annegriet thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • amylou321
    last year

We have 2 spare bedrooms. One is furnished as a guest room,though I HATE when circumstances demand that one of SOs random acquaintances use it. Hate hate hate. That room is where my magic foot massager is set up, and a pretty pink chair is in the future to put in there for me to lounge in while my poor feet are being worked on.

The other one is a mishmash. I have my treadmill in there, facing the window so I can look out when I use it. It is also where my holiday wardrobe and accessories are stored. I keep the extra sheets and seasonal comforters in the closet. It is also where I keep all the Christmas decorations,wrapping paper and oddly enough,it is home to SOs ironing board.

Annegriet thanked amylou321
  • sushipup2
    last year

We have 4 bedrooms. My office is downstairs in the den, and DH uses one of the bedrooms for his office. We have a lovely guest room, but we'll be using that full time when Jim's cousin moves in with us in October. So the last spare bedroom needs work. It does have a single-sized trundle bed. I've been using the guest room as my reading room, since DH hates for me to read in bed, which is what I love to do. And for when he snores. Now I need to fix up the small room for guest/reading room. I'll move my books and the bookcases into there, we need to buy a dresser and desk for our new roommate.

I also use that room as a box room, and what ever storage room.

Having enough space means that I have gotten sloppy, I need to get my act together.

Annegriet thanked sushipup2
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

It's our "studio".

Musical, art... a studio.

And then COVID-19 hit. So it became my office. Which is still true most of the time. I thought my child was going to work here this summer, and I set up their office.

And then they woked in retail office this summer.

I can work from home 3 or 4 days each week. So I call it: My office.

Annegriet thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    last year

My house has 4 bedrooms, all on the second floor. One is my bedroom, another is my son's room. A third is a guest room and the fourth is my sewing room.

Annegriet thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • Elaine Ricci
    last year

In our "4-bedroom" home, our "bedrooms" serve the following functions: master bedroom, guest bedroom, library, and my office/study.

Annegriet thanked Elaine Ricci
  • samkarenorkaren
    last year

I have 1 bedroom apartment. I have bed in living room because it's cooler in summer so my bedroom is my art room and have dresser in there. Gives me extra storage with this set up.

Annegriet thanked samkarenorkaren
  • functionthenlook
    last year

I own a 4 bedroom quad level. The 4th level is 3 bedrooms. The 2nd level has the 4th bedroom. We use it for storing can/paper goods, kitchen stuff we don't use daily, extra laundry supplies, hubby's hunting cloths,etc and it is where I hide the Christmas/birthday presents from curious grands.

Annegriet thanked functionthenlook
  • WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

Empty nester here, and I have 3 spare bedrooms. The one in the basement is our home gym now. All our workout equipment is safely kept in there collecting dust.....

Two upstairs rooms: one is a guest room mostly used by our grandson. We also store a few things in there that we don't have room for. My house is teeny tiny. Last spare room I'm in now. It's my home office/craft/junk room....

Annegriet thanked WittyNickNameHere ;)
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

For the empty nesters, don't you save your kids rooms for them or their kids to visit?

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

@summersrhythm_z6a my kids all live less than 10 minutes from me. They can go home. LOL

• functionthenlook
    last year

summersrhythm_z6a, yes I do. I have 2 of my 4 granddaughters every weekend. They have their own room with 2 single beds. At camp I have a room for the grands if they stay over with 2 double beds. If we have a full boat at camp like this upcoming labor day weekend (10 people) then the kids camp out in the livingroom. The adults get the 3 bedrooms.

• faftris
    last year

We have 2 bedrooms in our condo. Number two functions as a TV, desk and computer room and has a sleep sofa for when our kids come for a visit. But my favorite part is the pair of closets in there!

Annegriet thanked faftris
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

One bedroom is used as a guest room. I do admit to having gift wrap and ribbons in the bottom two drawers of the armoire - but then I'm not offering the room to any long term guests anytime soon. I have a couple of quilts on the closet shelf in that guest room, destined for my niece on the other side of the county and she's been making sounds like she may move her family back to this coast. We'll see. In any case, I have a quilt of my own - my mother made them - and really can't use the others.

A second bedroom really hasn't had attention. I have a recliner and ottoman in it, a coffee tree that won't grow in any other light, table with two sewing machines. I've been meaning to buy at least a twin bed for that room. It needs new lighting too. Nothing has pressed me into action yet.

Third bedroom we've claimed. It's at the far end of the house and has a bath, sitting room adjoining. The sitting room has two walls of closets and entrance to the master bedroom deck.

No more splitting a guest room as part office - this house has an office. His and her desks. I made the mistake of putting a television in here and its the closest room to coming in from the garage. I kept finding DH and a friend or two inside checking scores, watching sports and broke down and bought him a comfortable mans chair. That may have been a mistake, he's kind of planted himself and I find myself at my desk listening to whatever game is being aired or stock market channels all. evening. every. evening. :) I've turned my desk so that I can enjoy the window view so at least have my back to all of it.

• chisue
    last year

maifleur -- Yes, older homes had smaller bedrooms, and they were smaller overall, too. Our 'starter' ranch (built in the fifties) had one en suite MBR large enough for a king bed. The whole house was probably 1800 sq ft. It had a second slightly smaller BR (DS's room) and a 'den' that could be closed off from the LR/DR combination by a sliding wall (our guest room). Those were served by one bath. Between the kitchen and the garage was a teeny room big enough for one twin bed and a wall unit with desk, shelves, storage. It had an equally teeny shower bath. It was only a *bedroom* because it had a closet and a window. DS used it as a young adult.

We built our current one-floor home for our use as Seniors. It's nearly 3000 sq ft. (As an empty-nest neighbor who built a 12,000 sq ft home said, "Now that we are retired, we need more space." Ha-ha.) We now have a large en suite MBR; an ensuite guest room; and a 'library' w/bath. Our guest room has housed DGS's crib and very few guests over the 20 years we've been here.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

"For the empty nesters, don't you save your kids rooms for them or their kids to visit?"

I'm not an empty nester, but the question made me think of a friend of mine: She and her husband specifically bought a place without a guest room, once all their kids had left. They did not want any of them to be tempted to move back home! They have a pull-out couch in the office for emergency overnight visits, and have a family cottage for longer visits.

• salonva
    last year

We are empty nesters and when we were in the house that the "kids" grew up in, yes, their bedrooms remained pretty much as if they were there. When we moved , downsized, I had planned to get rid of one of the rooms of furntiure and make it a reading room. Somehow that never happened, and grandkids were born and yada yada.

I would love a recliner with an ottoman or something like that.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

Toronto, my SIL and her husband built an ocean side small house on family property and didn't include a closet in the guest room. Intentionally. It has a row of clothing hooks on one wall, but they didn't want anyone becoming too comfortable and looking for an extended stay. Any family guests wanting more than a night or two have to work out arrangements for the main property house and its often spoken for.

• bragu_DSM 5
    last year

We have two spare bedrooms. My wife has taken over one for her office, scapping and a lazyboy [gift from me] and a flatscreen TV. The other spare room is for me. It has a queen size bed [for company] and I used for plants and my three aquariums ...