SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Encountering TV Drama at Home

chisue
last year

DH and I are watching Season 2 of "Janet King", featuring a Crown Prosecutor in Australia. In Season 1 Ms. King and her wife are parents of boy and girl twins born though IVF with the wife's ovum and an 'anonymous' donor's sperm. In Season 2, the wife is murdered; Janet is appointed to a royal commission to investigate the origin of illegal firearms (one of which killed her wife); and (subplot) the wife's sister is demanding to be granted the one remaining embryo from the IVF to solve her and her husband's infertility problem. Janet is resisting the demand, unsure of what's 'right', and still grieving the loss of her wife. This drama and reality came together for me yesterday at my cancer center appointment.

Friday I met a young woman (not a patient) who has, with her husband, created five embryos through IVF. She's unable to carry a child; they've enlisted a surrogate to carry a baby. They only want one child. Comes the question: What to do about the other four potential human beings? They could: Have them destroyed; Allow other people to 'adopt' them; Dodge the question and leave them in storage. She insists she would want ongoing connection to any adoptees. (Ding! Ding! Ding! Problems!)

Re;Adoption. I believe that adoption needs to be ALWAYS and ONLY focused on the rights and needs of the only person without a voice at the start, the person adopted away from his natural family into another.

I think this illustrates that just because something is medically possible doesn't mean it's wise...or kind. I don't see any Best answers to this couple's problem. What are your thoughts?

Comments (29)