SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maureen155

Close encounters of the wild kind

maureen155
16 years ago

A couple of nights ago, around midnight, I found myself face to face with a bobcat. Ugly ugly very scary critter.

I have a fenced backyard and that night, as usual, I let the dogs out just before going to bed. The dogs are trained to stay very close to me at night and I have enough lighting in the backyard so that I can keep a close eye on them. We have raccoons and possum and goodness knows what else that regularly find their way into the backyard so I'm quite careful with the dogs.

My 9 pound bichon heard the bobcat first and throwing all convention to the wind, took off toward the edge of the yard to investigate. I yelled for her to stop, but that was useless. I ran after her and when I reached the fence there was a terrible growling/snarling/hissing sound. I shone the flashlight on the bobcat, which was just on the other side of the fence. He had a rabbit and wasn't happy that we had interrupted his meal. It was gross and he was very angry and quite verbal.

So, I did exactly what all the well informed wildlife people tell you not to. I screamed like a crazy person, scooped up one dog under each arm and ran (actually hobbled quickly) for my life. We made it to the house safely and the cat apparently went back to his meal. It was hours before I slept that night.

The little dog is now terrified of the backyard at night, which is probably a good thing. I'm not too comfortable out there after dark myself.

Comments (18)