SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_262026541

Questions about ducting and blower performance for a new range hood

Kherve
last year
last modified: last year

We’re having a new range hood installed soon. There was no previous hood so all the ducting and electrical will be brand new. This is an island range so it’s right in the middle of the kitchen area (I’m aware of the downsides to island range venting but we can’t do a full kitchen remodel right now).

The contractor found that there’s a truss in the ceiling that runs right through the center of where the hood would be installed. He doesn’t feel comfortable boxing a truss due to structural integrity concerns. What he’s suggested doing instead is converting the 8” round duct to a 10” flat/rectangular duct at the spot where it meets the truss so that it’s narrow enough to sit next to it. After it clears the truss, it would convert back to a round duct and then vent straight out the roof, which is only about 4’ from the ceiling.

I want to add that we have low 8’ ceilings, so creating a box below the ceiling probably wouldn’t work very well. It would also introduce at least two right angles into the duct in order to go around the truss which would have an even greater impact on blower performance, or at least I assume it would.

So my question is, how much will this change in duct shape impact blower performance? Does someone know of an equation I can use to figure this out?

Comments (4)