SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_barker28

Layout Help Please! 90's House Floor Plan Needs Facelift.

Hi all,

My parents recently downsized and bought a single story. The market was super crazy when they were looking, and there were only a couple to choose from in area they wanted (close to me), and so they went into it knowing they would be doing some remodeling. It’s not a bad house, just dated with a dated layout that's a bit weird.

We are definitely going to bring in professional help, but it’s going to be a while before anyone can get out to the house in person, so I thought it might be good to start here and ask you wonderful people about it…Fresh eyes, as it were! We tried to get the original plans and couldn’t, so I did my best to do a general layout and some specific measurements in order to post it here. If photos or a video walk-through would help, I can post those as well? We’re basically just wondering if anyone can see any opportunities to improve the flow/layout, or change things up in ways that improve it somehow. There are obvious things like overhauling the kitchen and taking out the wall dividing the kitchen and the family room (if those rooms stay put), but I just know there’s probably more that we can’t see or imagine here. Or maybe not! It could just be a sucky layout and that’s that. The point is, it would be nice to know what might be possible or not.

My parents will be the only two living in the home, and there’s nothing totally specific they HAVE to have in terms of rooms, other than my mom is a bit married to having an actual formal dining room; however, if getting rid of it made the house work better, she’s ok with that, too. They also understand that none of what they intend to embark on is cheap, fast, or easy.

Not sure if this helps while looking at it, but here are a few other items to keep in mind:

• They are going to completely re-do the plumbing and probably electrical.
  • The roof has prefab trusses and we’ve been told that most of the interior walls are not going to be much of a problem to deal with if they want changes.
  • They will get a new roof, windows, exterior painting, etc.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments (6)