SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthew_adams29

Help Decorating & Modernize 90s Living Room in New Home!

Matthew Adams
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hey Folks, first timer here. Wife and I bought our house 10 months ago, and still haven't done anything with the living room. We've been insanely busy having gotten married and full time jobs and school, and once we put the Xmas decor away we noticed it is...empty. I am taking the lead here and am trying to teach myself how to "design", so am asking for ideas and thoughts.

The living room is very "90s", equipped with new Red Oak Floors, Oak(Pine?) Trim and Mantle. The mantle seems to be a builder (low) grade pine, and actually has sap coming out in a spot. Willing to paint (white/sage?). The fireplace has the 90s iconic hunter green stone. I feel we may be able to work with these with the right color scheme? Or do a cheap stick on tile for now. Levolor wood blinds. The walls are Behr Sand Pearl, a warm beige with yellow undertones especially when the sun hits right. Not my favorite color, but feel it is doable. Almost the entire house is this color, so would need to be careful before starting to paint as to not take on a monumental project (cathedral ceiling in entryway).

My plans are to include a new area rug (color?), new couch or sectional & chairs (color?), a mirror on blank wall across from windows, curtains?, lamps as lighting is poor, and possibly a workstation or bookshelf to right of the tv. My biggest concern currently is how "warm" the room looks with the flooring, trim, and beige-yellow walls. Should we roll with greens ( Notice 60s art with greens/yellows I have that could work.) In adjoining rooms we have grays/navy blues accent walls, so possibly work a touch of these with the blues? I am hoping for ideas to tie it all together with the minimal amount of renovations, although I am willing to take on a project at last resort (i.e trim/fireplace). What would you do with this room? Appreciate any thoughts and ideas!

Comments (32)