SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonitapplebum

Layout help with my 90s great room

bonitapplebum
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Here is the floor plan:

I've been in this home for 3 years now. It has a formal living and dining room, but they are essentially 1 great room. I inherited a formal dining room table set from my parents that I parked in the formal dining room. Then it collected dust. I realized a formal dining room doesn't have much function in my life. If anything it serves as the cutting table for sewing, the mailroom for large boxes, desk for working at home. Then I had a major leak that took out the floors I had put in when I moved in and the cabinets and I (was forced into/) got an opportunity to fix this. There was a 70s style step down that divided the living from the dining and after asking Houzz, I leveled it out and put in a tiled entry. A new dining room was located in/next to the kitchen where it could be more casual.

Now I'd like to use the whole room as 1 living room with multiple seating arrangements. Here are the pictures of my room again, pre baseboards:

Here are some layouts I've come up with so far, but I'm sold on neither.

First idea:

Second idea:

I'm open to more options!!

I'm trying to create multiple seating zones and add a table that serves as one or more of the following: a desk, game table, extra eating space, cutting table for sewing etc. I also need to put the tv somewhere, but I'll hide it behind a large piece of artwork. And finally, how the heck do I visually divide up that long long solid wall?

Help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm