SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j_yamnitz

can I recess a range 4.5 inches?

j_yamnitz
last year

We’re starting demo on our kitchen in two days, and I have a dilemma. I’ve already purchased a monogram dual fuel range, which is 28 1/2 inches in depth. I want the range to be flush with the cabinets in front, which I confirmed is possible before purchasing the range. Originally, I was planning to pull my cabinets forward 4 inches, and have the countertop be 29 1/2 inches to cover the gap in the back. This week, I was talking to a cabinet maker, who is making one custom cabinet for us, and he told me he thinks the 29 inch deep countertop is a really bad idea. So, now I am wondering if it would be possible to fur out the wall behind the cabinets and not behind the range in order to have a small recess for the range. If I were to do that, I would use the quartzite that I’m getting for the countertop on the back and sides of the recessed area as I am assuming I would need a fireproof material on the back and sides around the range. I’ve been searching on online, and it seems like this might be done more commonly in the UK. I’m thinking of something like this image from fifimcgee.co.uk. Does anyone know if it is acceptable to do this in the U.S.?

Comments (18)