SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

Light bulbs for 5 inch vs 6 inch recessed cans

pudgybaby
14 years ago

I've read the recent threads about the housings and trims for recessed cans. I am still confused about the light bulbs themselves.

My electrician said he likes to use 6" cans because they can take any type of light bulb: regular incandescent, halogen, or florescent (I was kind of overwhelmed when he was over - I think those are the types of light bulbs he listed). He said 5" cans can't take all 3 types, but I don't know which he thought wouldn't work. However, I think 5" cans are better for my small kitchen with an 8' ceiling. Anyone know if what he said about the bulbs is true?

Also, after reading the threads about clear and wheat alzak trims, I went over to a lighting store to check them out. They had bulbs in their recessed cans with the small reflector type circles on them, which look like outdoor bulbs to me. I forgot to ask about them. Are these typical - I think they are ugly for inside the house. Is there another choice? Do the reflector circles help spread the light or something?

I don't think that I can put in the taller housings because the joists are 8", if that matters.

TIA!

Comments (6)