SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecoakley123

Accent chair help

Elaine C.
last year

Looking for an accent chair to sit beside my fireplace or in the corner. I currently have a small spindle stripe chair but not feeling it. The couches are off white and a large green leather ottoman (still not sure why I chose green,haha) I dont have a specific style. I thought about a faux leather club chair, caramel color perhaps with colorful throw or pillow. I think I need color. Thanks so much!!!

Comments (94)

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

How about this?
    Bottom- seagrass, beige trim
    Top- cotton casual muted rug in sage or sky blue (sage, cream, blue, tan)

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

I get it now…the dark celadon is the PB rug, haha. I do really like that one.

• Related Discussions

Accent chair color??? HELP!!!

Q

Comments (24)
    To all, i apologize for sounding so emotional (my son started kindergarten today). This move was a rough one. We are only here for 11 months and then we will move again, so I feel very disconnected. You are all right...no one has been rude or offensive. It was me. So, let me start over with my vision: The couch and brown leather recliner are staying. I would like to add two accent chairs (with arms and facing the side of the coffee table) with a small accent table in between. We always have company and there is never enough seating. I've always invisioned accent chairs to either have a bold pattern or bold color; however, I'm open to something more neutral with bold accents. I've also planned on buying a large area rug...perhaps the color should come from there). Finally, I need a new coffee table...one that is simple. My esthetic is a mix of old world and French country. So...what style of chair and what color? What kind of coffee table?
    ...See More

Help....Need help choosing accent chair for my living room....

Q

Comments (11)
    I think a rich cream color would look very nice with the rest of the room. I am thinking something very much as the pillows in the left of your photo appear. Then if you're not totally wed to the mirror above the fireplace you can bring in artwork and some candles to pick up the cream of the chair. I assume the recliner you mentioned is in the upper right hand side (where for some reason another commenter moved a television into place.). A pillow or small throw placed on the chair can correlate to the rich cognac color of your sofa and love seat. Good luck.
    ...See More

Accent Chair Help

Q

Comments (16)
    Your "mantel" just seems to be a ledge. Why not consider adding an actual mantel there? It would add some needed visual heft to that end of the room. The large buffet and china stole the show and I had to look for the fireplace. It needs some "weight."
    ...See More

help picking an accent chair

Q

Comments (13)
    Wondering why the border of the rug was cut off on two sides? It looks salvaged. The pattern is too large and too bold for the furniture and floor. Can you return it? You indicate you are open to doing a different rug. And could you add more photos of the room? Very important photo would be one showing the tray ceiling. That, typically, is when you size the rug and ceiling together. I'd buy one more orange loveseat. It will be important for the scheme to have a focal wall. A wallpaper would make a stunning wall. Notice how the tray ceiling is painted.
    ...See More
  • everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

Oh I meant that a google search with that color, called dark celadon, might work for you. I don't know about a border, with layer on top.

• everdebz
    last year

51% Jute 42% Polyester 7% cotton, Natural, Teal

Loloi 7'-9" x 9'-9" Rug In Natural And Teal Finish CORNCOR-01NATE7999 · More Info

• ptreckel
    last year

Rather than a “real” sea grass rug, I would look into one of the synthetic woven sea grass rugs. More durable, and can be spot cleaned. Less likely to stain if something is spilled on them. (Red wine, dog barf, etc.) They can be cut to size and self bound or banded in fabric.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

Actually natural sea grass is about as easy care as you can get. I've had numerous ones and they really don't stain. The benefit of synthetic would be that they are softer underfoot.

• everdebz
    last year

May I ask how 'tall' the seagrass rugs are - how well does a second layer actually lay?

• ptreckel
    last year

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC, I envy you your experience with natural sea grass. I have wasted a lot of money on them…corners curling, banding that gets grimy, and stains (wine), etc. That is why I have replaced mine with synthetic.

• stiley
    last year

In my experience, a second layers stays put. I have a large seagrass in our living room that I layered a white cowhide rug over. I didn't have to use any sticky thing, the backside of the hide was rough enough to keep it in place, although I also had a coffee table over it. Seagrass is meant to be replaced periodically; it doesn't last generations like a wool rug. I first bought the rugs because I need several rugs and seagrass is inexpensive. But now I really like them and will buy again. I'm about to replace our living room rug after 12 years of kids, dog and using the vacuum's beater bar. Yes, the fabric border can get grimy. For this new one, I'm getting a custom cut rug that is self-bound, so I won't have the fabric border. Here's the best picture I could find of our living room pre-remodel to show the layers. Some people don't like how it feels on bare feet, but I think it's definitely smoother than sisal. We have seagrass in our primary bedroom, living room and under the kitchen table, so I really like it!

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for all the information! I need to be mindful of high traffics with dogs and kids in my space. This is why I chose a jute rug. I do need color which is why I’m leaning towards seagrass with top layer minimal pattern. The hard part is finding this combo lol. I’m def getting a seagrass…any recommendations on a cost effective option? Border/no border? I love all the top layer rug suggestions everdebz! I’ve always wanted a cowhide but not sure my room esthetic could handle one. You all are so kind hanging in there with me

• everdebz
    last year

just pondering - seems top layer ideal if it's heavy [is cowhide sturdy/heavy?] - but not high pile ... I do hate tripping on things is why I bring it up.. not that I imagine hide there.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

pretty room. I actually like your current rug. would be nice w/something layered on it.

yes, the cowhide would work nicely. do a plain white one if you like

you could even do a wool type of rug

here are some other layers w/jute rugs

tried to find one w/your colors:

https://www.rebeccaandgenevieve.com/blog/2020/1/9/rug-layering-101

som other rug choices:

• stiley
    last year

@Elaine C. Sorry, I wasn't saying that I think you should use a cowhide, I was just showing you how even a lighter weight rug would stay put when layered over seagrass. Although looking at your room again, I think you could do a hide--you can scrub those too! But I don't think that's the direction you want to go. I like the muted rugs you've selected above.

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the feedback and compliments! All great info…I think layering is the way to go. I’m on the hunt for a great top layer option that doesn’t have a busy pattern that has blue/green/beige combo. I’ve always wanted to do a hide but that’s really going out on a limb in my room, haha. I have seagrass in my kitchen area and it works well with my flooring. I may do same for bottom layer in LR and search for top.

• PRO
    last year

I like your ideas about layering rugs and think it looks great. Just make sure that there is a decent difference in size between the two rugs. Some of the photos show such small differences that it looks awkward. The rebecca and genevieve photo and the one below it are good examples of a nice size difference. In the next photo the top rug looks too large--there looks to be only about 8 inches difference in the width. I'd probably go with at least 12" larger on all sides.

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

I found this rug at Homegoods. Colors are perfect. Muted, yet a pattern. Too busy??

• stiley
    last year

It's pretty! The nice thing about buying in person is that you could take it home and return if it doesn't work. Kind of a hassle but easier than an online return. What's it made of?

• everdebz
    last year

Nice, and at Home Goods too.

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Well here it is…it doesn’t have any of the emerald green like the ottoman, but it does compliment the room. Any opinions?

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

?

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

I put it on an old jute I had. Do you think it looks bad that the emerald green ottoman color is not in the rug? Am I overthinking it? lol

• stiley
    last year

Elaine, I really like it! It goes without being matchy. What do you think?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I like it! nice addition

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Well, after looking at it from all angles, it looks bad lol. The green ottoman way too green for it. I so regret buying that ottoman, haha. The search begins again ugh.

• stiley
    last year

Can you live with it a bit and see how you feel? I think it makes your art pop, and you have some blue in your art. If everything matches too much, you run the risk of it looking like a store display. I like how your green ottoman and slightly blue rug coordinate.

• PRO
    last year

It looks nice on my monitor. Don’t overthink it

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! It looks better in pics…ugh. I found a Surya rug that is speaking to me. It def has the colors I need to compliment everything. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

if it's inexpensive and made out of polypropolene, they are super cheap and thin. THOSE look better in pictures!

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! It looks better in pics…ugh. I found a Surya rug that is speaking to me. It def has the colors I need to compliment everything. Thoughts?

It is inexpensive so I’m going to pass. May also be to much green for the space. Looking to compliment the ottoman and art.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

look at what it's made of. the polypro stuff is the cheap material and very thin.

wool, nylon, viscose, cotton, or blends, are all a better choice and will last longer.

I think your room is very pretty as is. I like your current rug. if you thnk you need more, try a white hide, or a soft white rug to layer on top

maybe something like this

or, if you like this look

try using a vintage, overdyed wool rug in the bluegreen colors

youd get this type of look. (or choose a lighter rug like they've done here. for you it would be in the creamy natural tones

If you lived close to me I'd sell you my rug at a good price! it's silk viscose and appears to be the perfect color for your room

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Beth H…all great advice! Looks like you have the perfect green rug for my room, haha. I did replace my jute rug with a seagrass that came today. It has a slight green tone, but I think it works better than jute with the tones in my flooring. Now, I’ll look for a top layer…neutral, hide or saturated. I’m sure I’ll stumble across something that works. Thanks to all who commented with such awesome advice regarding chair and rug! 😀

• stiley
    last year

Your seagrass will yellow bit as it dries. Surf Etsy for a green rug. I just bought a runner that arrived yesterday; it took less than a week to get from Turkey to Texas and is great quality. Here are some green rugs I found from a quick search. Everything in your room looks new, and it would add some soul and depth to have something vintage. It will be fun to see your room come together!

• ptreckel
    last year

Honestly, I would NOT search for a “green” rug, but a rug with green in it. Otherwise, you get into trying to match the green with your ottoman and that will be difficult to do.

• stiley
    last year

@ptreckel, that’s a good point. Blue or brown would look good in there too. But my search for a green rug brought up a wide variety. Some were mostly green and some had hints of green. Either way, I’m still pushing for a real vintage rug and not poly/nylon/shiny.

• ptreckel
    last year

Stiley, I do agree with you and think that your rugs, above, are the best of the bunch suggested because they are traditional in feel and have green in them, especially the ones with the creams and beiges, etc. I totally agree with your emphasis on traditional vintage style, “Persian” rugs for this application. I would urge the OP to actually visit a rug store that specializes in authentic middle eastern hand loomed rugs to see what is available. Yes, they will be more expensive. But this beautiful room deserves something special. A splurge?

• ptreckel
    last year

I am not sure how accurate this assessment is, but it might be instructive:

• hbeing
    last year

how about an upholstered swivel/rocker chair?

• everdebz
    last year

all I found:

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Lyndhurst-Traditional-Oriental-Cream-Beige-Rug-8-X-10/12659588/product.html

After I looked again, the rug's golden color brings out the fresh best in dark green. Already said, but your art has rug color too.

• everdebz
    last year

Considering walls/curtains/etc. - with either new rug - this type with some grey-green that doesn't match.

Parkland Collection Mia 52" x 67" Acrylic Blend Throw Blanket THRE21013 · More Info

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Omg, I love all the suggestions!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post such great ideas! I’ve been searching for a vintage type rug for on top of my seagrass. I did notice when filtering for green, the findings are mainly green which is not what I’m looking for. I’m thinking a muted pattern as well. I def need to throw in some green pillows to match ottoman. A swivel chair will come later.

• Maureen
    last year

I didn’t read all the comments when rugs comments started to become numerous, so you may no longer be interested in a chair.

Actually I like your rug, or if replacing, suggest still going neutral as I think your room may get overwhelmed and lose its casual, easy charm with a more dominate rug. I also like the green ottoman as it’s unusual and adds intetest.

When considering a chair, I’d move the dog bed to the other side of fireplace, allowing for a vignette in that corner, becoming a perfect reading spot.

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Great idea for a reading area and moving the dog bed. I’m nailing down a rig first then will search for an accent chair, floor lamp, etc. as for the rug…we’re traveling and I found an amazing cow hide rug…any votes yes on that? I’m loving it!

• everdebz
    last year

Considering cool green of ottoman and art -- I think more cool tones in the rug [as said not the whole thing] would help cause the room seems so warm neutral might be just the photos.

The art seems to 'call out' for fresh green -- buy plants! haha

• everdebz
    last year

idk what happened to the wonderfully 'imperfect' rug. It wasn't as they say: matchy match.. yikes what's this world coming to...

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry I haven’t commented. My husband and I got very sick while traveling. I just now feel human today. Thanks for all of the amazing and thoughtful ideas! I went back and fourth with a patterned rug but it honestly was exhausting searching for ottoman color and the pattern not be so busy. I purchased the hide I mentioned while we were away. I know it’s not white, but I think it will wear far better with my pets. I’ve been searching for some pillows to add some cool touches (green, etc) and will get a plant and accent table for the chair to create more of a nook in the corner. We went from chair to rug in this post, haha…you have all been so wonderful to contribute. Take care 😊

• stiley
    last year

I really like it! A windy road but I think you ended up in the right spot. 😀

• everdebz
    last year

Elaine, that's fine. Glad you're well and enjoying something new.

May I add - we've not seen all the views of black mirror and black chandelier...

but I wonder if chandelier seems visually heavy. I like it though.

• PRO
    last year

It’s a beautiful room so glad you found the finishing touches! Feel better so you can enjoy the space.

• Alice Edwards
    last year

It is a beautiful room!!

• cpny
    last year

Looks great. I really like your pictures over the sofa. Can I ask where they are from?